The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 22, 2012, 06:32pm
Official Forum Member

Needed college basketball rule changes.

• Precision Timing at all NCAA tournament games. If it is good enough for the NIT [which is owned by the NCAA], then it is good enough for the big tournament.
  • No reset of the back court count for a timeout.
  • Any violation or timeout from the free throw line extended to the baseline is an automatic side out.
  • Expanded 'restricted area'.
  • No alternate possession.
  • No 'media timeout' if the whistle is to retrieve an 'errant ball'.
  • Require officials to report to scorers table the jersey number of all three second violations, lane violations, offensive goaltending.
  • Reduce the time given to coaches to substitute after a disqualification.
Old Thu Mar 22, 2012, 06:40pm
Official Forum Member

Where did you get the idea for these rules changes?

Almost everything you listed is an NBA rule....

In fact, everything you've listed is an NBA rule
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Last edited by APG; Thu Mar 22, 2012 at 06:46pm.
Old Thu Mar 22, 2012, 06:55pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmagan View Post
  • Precision Timing at all NCAA tournament games. If it is good enough for the NIT [which is owned by the NCAA], then it is good enough for the big tournament.
NIT is more of a controlled environment with those arenas, I bet this is a facility issue more than anything.

Quote:
  • No reset of the back court count for a timeout.
Nope. Bad idea.

Quote:
  • Any violation or timeout from the free throw line extended to the baseline is an automatic side out.
Nope.

Quote:
  • Expanded 'restricted area'.
Nope.

Quote:
  • No alternate possession.
Nope.

Quote:
  • No 'media timeout' if the whistle is to retrieve an 'errant ball'.
Who cares.

Quote:
  • Require officials to report to scorers table the jersey number of all three second violations, lane violations, offensive goaltending.
To do what? Unnecessary.

Quote:
  • Reduce the time given to coaches to substitute after a disqualification.
The time is OK with me.

There is a reason the NBA has different rules. Let that level be what it is and let college be different.

Peace
Old Thu Mar 22, 2012, 07:05pm
Official Forum Member

I will say this...I agree with some of what you listed:

-NCAA should somehow mandate that facilities must have PTS...it's almost always a given that there will be a review in the final minute of a game if it's close game.
-I agree a team shouldn't be able to buy themselves out of a 10 second violation...not allowing this would promote good defense (compared to the NBA, 10 second violations or counts close to it are a lot more common than that for 8 second violations)
-I don't care if they expand it or not...wouldn't surprise me if they expanded it to 4 feet like the NBA
-If it were up to me, I'd just completely change how they handle media timeouts...I dunno how many times I've seen a timeout taken at the 11:50 mark...come back from commercial...a foul two seconds later...MEDIA TIMEOUT!
-The NBA does this for play-by-play purposes...I dunno if NCAA keeps track of that sort of thing.
-I don't know how long NCAA is compared to the NBA DQ time...either way, it's a whatever to me.
-I agree in principle that there shouldn't be an AP...and maybe that could be done for NCAA-M. But I'm not sure the average amount of held ball calls/game.
-I don't care either way if they went free throw line extended for violation and fouls below the free throw line extended or kept it the same
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Last edited by APG; Thu Mar 22, 2012 at 07:12pm.
Old Thu Mar 22, 2012, 07:17pm
Administrator

NCAA Changes.

Precision Timing at all NCAA tournament games. If it is good enough for the NIT [which is owned by the NCAA], then it is good enough for the big tournament. I have talked to a couple of Div. I officials and PST is a requirment at all NCAA Tournament games.

No reset of the back court count for a timeout. To quote Rut: Nope, bad idea.

Any violation or timeout from the free throw line extended to the baseline is an automatic side out. To quote Rut: Nope. But I would ask why would you change to this.

Expanded 'restricted area'. Get rid of that and go back to the old rule.

No alternate possession. AGREE!!! It is an abomination upon the game. This one is for you Billy, .

No 'media timeout' if the whistle is to retrieve an 'errant ball'. Agree, lets get the game moving; Team Timouts are okay.

Require officials to report to scorers table the jersey number of all three second violations, lane violations, offensive goaltending. Read the rules. Fouls are Charged and Penalized; Violations are Penalized.

Reduce the time given to coaches to substitute after a disqualification. Leave well enough alone.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Mar 22, 2012, 07:22pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

NBA fans are one thing, but to assume the rules of every other basketball league need to mirror theirs? Nah.
Old Thu Mar 22, 2012, 08:28pm
Official Forum Member

Wrong forum fanboy, take it up with the COACHES on the rules committee
Old Thu Mar 22, 2012, 08:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyezen View Post
Wrong forum fanboy, take it up with the COACHES on the rules committee
It's most definitely the correct forum...hell we have a yearly thread discussing rules and mechanics changes that we'd like to see for NFHS.

Old Thu Mar 22, 2012, 08:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
It's most definitely the correct forum...hell we have a yearly thread discussing rules and mechanics changes that we'd like to see for NFHS.
Well you know that and I know that...but fanboys dont, they just come here to ***** about rules they dont like to officials. I'm just trying to educate him on who exactly makes up the rules.
Old Thu Mar 22, 2012, 08:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyezen View Post
Well you know that and I know that...but fanboys dont, they just come here to ***** about rules they dont like to officials. I'm just trying to educate him on who exactly makes up the rules.
I don't see him/her, in anyway, acting like a "fanboy." I just see a poster who suggested some rules changes that he/she would like to see implemented in college basketball. It just happened that the rules changes came from the pro rule set.

We shouldn't assume the worst in a new posters...that's just a sure fire way to make sure we don't get new blood around here.

Last edited by APG; Thu Mar 22, 2012 at 08:44pm.
Old Thu Mar 22, 2012, 08:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
I don't see him in anyway acting like a "fanboy." I just see a poster who suggested some rules changes that he/she would like to see implemented in college basketball.

We shouldn't assume the worst in a new posters...that's just a sure fire way to make sure we don't get new blood around here.
New posters who are "officials" don't post a litany list of rules they dislike on post #2 on an "officials" forum. Maybe fanboy was a misnomer, how about refereehater. They come out this time of year as well.

If "you" want to welcome all with open arms, so be it. Just don't lump "me" into that particular "we" category. Believe it or not I've been around enough to know the intent of posts like the above.
Old Thu Mar 22, 2012, 09:09pm
Official Forum Member

Fair enough

Old Thu Mar 22, 2012, 09:34pm
We don't rent pigs

I find it kind of refreshing that he put his complaint in the form of a rule change suggestion rather than blaming in on the officials.

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Mar 22, 2012, 10:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No 'media timeout' if the whistle is to retrieve an 'errant ball'.
Why? What does it matter the reason for the clock stoppage? The media TO has to be taken either way. Sorry but that makes no sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
I have talked to a couple of Div. I officials and PST is a requirment at all NCAA Tournament games.
I don't know who you've talked to but they're clueless.

BTW, this is the third time you've referred to it as PST. It is NOT PST. It is PTS, Precision Timing System.

And it is NOT used in the NCAA Tournament.

Having said all that, if they can afford to install their own floor at every venue, then they can certainly afford PTS at every venue.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Mar 22, 2012, 10:43pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Why? What does it matter the reason for the clock stoppage? The media TO has to be taken either way. Sorry but that makes no sense.

I don't know who you've talked to but they're clueless.

BTW, this is the third time you've referred to it as PST. It is NOT PST. It is PTS, Precision Timing System.

And it is NOT used in the NCAA Tournament.

Having said all that, if they can afford to install their own floor at every venue, then they can certainly afford PTS at every venue.

It should be PMS, .

MTD, Sr.

P.S. I have talked to two NCAA Div. I evaluators (who are former Div. I officials) and they have told me that PTS is being used. Ask my sons, I refer to Law & Order: SVU as Law & Order: SUV, .
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio

Last edited by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.; Thu Mar 22, 2012 at 10:51pm. Reason: Added P.S.