The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Call on the court = Play on. Doris Burke agreed. What's your opinion? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/90456-call-court-play-doris-burke-agreed-whats-your-opinion.html)

JetMetFan Fri Apr 06, 2012 07:50am

Call on the court = Play on. Doris Burke agreed :) What's your opinion?

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/GPUsATDJW0M?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

StlCards Fri Apr 06, 2012 08:09am

Looks like a charge. Defender doesn't do anything wrong.

truerookie Fri Apr 06, 2012 08:27am

No problem with the playon here. The defender clearly leans( surpasses verticality) into the path of the ball handler after she is airborne.

The question I have is. Where is the T?

Toren Fri Apr 06, 2012 09:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by truerookie (Post 836050)
No problem with the playon here. The defender clearly leans( surpasses verticality) into the path of the ball handler after she is airborne.

I agree with your statement that this would have been a block since defender leans forward.

High Altitude got the T bending over full court, huffing and puffing. :D

Jeremy Hohn Fri Apr 06, 2012 09:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by truerookie (Post 836050)

Agreed. If the Defensive player hadn't advanced her position, the offense had already stopped her momentum and their would have been no collision.

Adam Fri Apr 06, 2012 09:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toren (Post 836059)
I agree with your statement that this would have been a block since defender leans forward.

High Altitude got the T bending over full court, huffing and puffing. :D

The first time I saw it, I had a PC. The second time, I had a PC. The third time, I had a PC. Yeah, the defender leans a little to brace for contact, but she doesn't create any contact that wasn't happening anyway.

Now, after seeing it in slow motion a few times, I changed my mind. The defender's lean creates contact. Had she remained vertical, the shooter would have landed short of contact, IMO.

I'd like to think I would got it right on the court, but I don't know.

I don't give a rats a$$ what Burke thinks, though.

Altitude? In Denver? Pshaw!

tref Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:26am

Cant say that I liked the no call as the defender clearly (obvious) leans forward into the shooter.
As I look deeper at the "whys" I can understand the no call.
Steal in the b/c probably has the old new L (now the new T) somewhere around the division line.
Tough to get back when busting it to the other end that quickly!
The C has no look whatsoever & the L is set up good for lateral movement.
Good discipline by the crew.

Toren Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:56am

Who is Doris Burke? Is that someone who I should know?

Camron Rust Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:54am

Defender does lean forward to create what is really minor contact but does not disadvantage the shooter in any way....no call OK, but a block would be OK too.

JRutledge Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:22pm

The defender never stops coming forward. I have a block, but I do not think on this kind of play you can have a no-call. And I am a person that usually judges these plays as charges as a default, but the defender clearly did not stop coming forward from this angle.

Peace

tref Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 836111)
The defender never stops coming forward. I have a block, but I do not think on this kind of play you can have a no-call. And I am a person that usually judges these plays as charges as a default, but the defender clearly did not stop coming forward from this angle.

Peace

With the pictures given, who makes the call?

Welpe Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:29pm

I think I'd go with a block here but could see a no call.

Bad Zebra Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:41pm

I like the no-call here. Defender leaned out of vertical plane to create contact. The L seems to have best view and positioning here. If she saw the lean and opted to pass on the whistle, that's a pretty good piece of officiating IMHO.

P.S. Whatever Doris Burke says...the opposite is usually true. I'd like to watch a game with her and Clark Kellog doing commentary. They could conceivably get EVERY whistle wrong between the two of them.

JugglingReferee Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:46pm

This is a no-call or a block.

I don't like these types of leans, so I tend to call a block. But at the higher levels, this is easily a no-call.

JRutledge Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 836112)
With the pictures given, who makes the call?

The Lead or the Center could call this. The Trail could but they are probably too far as it seems like a quick change or transition.

Peace