The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Call on the court = Play on. Doris Burke agreed. What's your opinion? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/90456-call-court-play-doris-burke-agreed-whats-your-opinion.html)

truerookie Fri Apr 06, 2012 01:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 836118)
The Lead or the Center could call this. The Trail could but they are probably too far as it seems like a quick change or transition.

Peace

I can agree the Lead or Center should/could call this. I would give Lead first crack at it since it was a secondary defender stepping up to take the contact..

fullor30 Fri Apr 06, 2012 02:08pm

Pretty easy block from my video view, I'm calling it

Jeremy Hohn Fri Apr 06, 2012 02:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by truerookie (Post 836132)
I can agree the Lead or Center should/could call this. I would give Lead first crack at it since it was a secondary defender stepping up to take the contact..

Lead wouldn't see the angle of the defender on this play. C has the open look. On plays like this in women's floor coverage, this is a C play to judge.

truerookie Fri Apr 06, 2012 03:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeremy Hohn (Post 836136)
Lead wouldn't see the angle of the defender on this play. C has the open look. On plays like this in women's floor coverage, this is a C play to judge.

Is that exclusive or inclusive? The secondary defend steps into the dual coverage area from the Lead half of the court. Since open looks are being discussed. The C doesn't have a good look at the play. From her current position appears to be straight lined as it is being finished at the rim. I would have liked to see the Center take a couple of steps toward the endline. This would have opened the look up more.

tref Fri Apr 06, 2012 03:22pm

Quote:

Agreed, the L can see the lateral movement, but not verticality. L should not make a call here, just like they shouldn't call rebounding fouls from behind. Same principle.
Although the C didnt position adjust, I thought the C had the best opportunity here as the T isnt in the screen shot.

JRutledge Fri Apr 06, 2012 03:30pm

Quote:

Maybe that is why they get so many plays wrong then IMO? It seems they are trying to fit a coverage area into a game that does not suit their game in the first place.

Peace

MD Longhorn Fri Apr 06, 2012 03:42pm

I'm ok with the no call - mostly because the block did not affect the shot at all - but I would be ok with block too, as the defender never stops moving forward. Definitely not a charge.

tref Fri Apr 06, 2012 03:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbcrowder (Post 836155)
I'm ok with the no call - mostly because the block did not affect the shot at all - but I would be ok with block too, as the defender never stops moving forward. Definitely not a charge.

I think a block would've been called if the T got back & had the same look we have.

JRutledge Fri Apr 06, 2012 04:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbcrowder (Post 836155)

The contact still affected the movement both players. I think you have to call something there. Part of the reason they put that restricted area on the floor in the first place was to have these kinds of plays be called.

Peace

twocentsworth Fri Apr 06, 2012 05:43pm

this is a foul on the offensive player....

I will give a "pass" to the Lead on this one..(wink, wink, nod, nod)...it was hard for her to see the play as she was watching the flight of the ball!!!!!

she must be related to Ed Hightower.....

BillyMac Fri Apr 06, 2012 06:41pm

Lean On Me ...

Block. The defender moves forward.

BktBallRef Fri Apr 06, 2012 06:52pm

Do you call three seconds from the T?

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 836157)
I think a block would've been called if the T got back & had the same look we have.

Why in hell would the T have a whistle on this play?

The drive originates in the C's PCA.

The collision is in the middle of the lane.

There is no part of this play that the T has any business blowing.

It's the L or C's call all the way.

HawkeyeCubP Fri Apr 06, 2012 09:24pm

The C should'n't have been so happy with the spot their feet were planted after getting back to the starting area after the turnover when the drive started. The C should've been moving with the drive (some way to see an angle on this secondary defender play).

The T isn't at any kind of fault here. This was a turnover in transition with the ball not even getting to the division line. They were doing their job getting down court, and the drive happened immediately after the turnover.

The L, due to pinching and thinking about starting a rotation because of where the new offensive player is (and is looking like driving) - all correct things to think and do, IMO (maybe wait just a beat longer in case they do/did drive immediately), gets herself straightlined by bad luck here, and can't see (well) the defender moving toward the shooter.

This would've been a great C call. And I have a block.

Caesar's Ghost Sat Apr 07, 2012 09:59am

I agree with the no call, but there should have been a travel first.

JetMetFan Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:29am

Travel?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caesar's Ghost (Post 836253)
I agree with the no call, but there should have been a travel first.

No travel there. She gathered the ball with both feet in the air then her right foot (pivot) came down and she took off from her left foot.