The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   National C'Ship (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/90396-national-cship.html)

APG Tue Apr 03, 2012 03:51pm

Should've just had Monica do the anthem like she did for one of the Final Four games...that rendition last night was...."interesting."

Camron Rust Tue Apr 03, 2012 03:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ballgame99 (Post 835631)
Enough about the officiating, man was that Star Spangled Banner brutal or what??!! Woof.

Indeed....it ranked right up there with the rendition by Rosanne Barr. I usually enjoy the Banner performances at big games....but this one should have never seen the light of day.

BillyMac Tue Apr 03, 2012 04:41pm

The Fray ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 835637)
Should've just had Monica do the anthem like she did for one of the Final Four games...that rendition last night was...."interesting."

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dQXkqoJnIlg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nevadaref Tue Apr 03, 2012 05:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 835531)
All in all, what did we think of the officiating (individual & crew) in the biggest game of the year?

I'm a bit biased so I'll chime in later :D

Memo to APG: 1 play I'd LOVE to see again is the play in the 2nd half (sorry no time, but I'm sure you remember) where the Kansas player is OOB on the endline while tapping it back in play. The whistle-work, the communication & the style was so beautiful!! If I could incorporate some of that in my game, maybe I could be :cool:

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 835570)
You didnt like it either! I thought it was more like 8-10 times. If you get a chance throw it up for me sir. Perhaps it will change my mind...

FTR, I thought it was clear to the 2 players at the end of the bench, not so much to the coaching staff located at the top of the bench.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 835634)
I thought there were 2 or 3 questionable above the rim calls made by the L. Other than that it was pretty consistent & no GIs.

Not that I'm into the Fray or nothing like that, but I thought it was original & a pretty cool remix. It was definitely better than some of the students that get out there & embarass themselves at my games.

I just have to ask how old you are because your posts indicate an excitement for flashy over-the-top mechanics and contain the use of camp catch-phrases. I'm guessing that you are between 24 and 27 with about five years of HS basketball officiating experience. Perhaps I am wrong, but you come across that way on the forum to me.

PS are you a bit biased because you are from Denver where Verne Harris lives and perhaps you have interacted with him previously?

JRutledge Tue Apr 03, 2012 05:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 835637)

Yep. I said that on my FB page before it was even over. That was probably the worst rendition of the National Anthem I have heard in a very long time if not ever.

Peace

tref Tue Apr 03, 2012 05:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 835652)
I just have to ask how old you are because your posts indicate an excitement for flashy over-the-top mechanics and contain the use of camp catch-phrases. I'm guessing that you are between 24 and 27 with about five years of HS basketball officiating experience. Perhaps I am wrong, but you come across that way on the forum to me.

PS are you a bit biased because you are from Denver where Verne Harris lives and perhaps you have interacted with him previously?

Dude :rolleyes:

Toren Tue Apr 03, 2012 06:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 835652)

What about me? Oh damn, I posted video of myself. :D

For the record, I haven't had the pleasure to interact with Verne Harris, but I thought he did a really nice job last night.

Camron Rust Tue Apr 03, 2012 06:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 835634)
Not that I'm into the Fray or nothing like that, but I thought it was original & a pretty cool remix. It was definitely better than some of the students that get out there & embarass themselves at my games.

I'd bet that The Fray made a lot more money for their version than those students you're referring to. Whoever paid them should ask for a refund.

Original it was (for a good reason) but I'm puzzled how a live performance can be called a remix.

twocentsworth Wed Apr 04, 2012 01:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 835623)
The pick n roll with the UK guards & AD did catch my eye, but I thought they were marginal at best.
Doesnt RSBQ pertain to the ball handler?

No...RSBQ applies to ALL players on the court (defenders as well as offensive players).

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 835623)
I liked that they allowed the bigs to bang in a National C'Ship game. Aggresive, physical play is always ok. Rough play is never ok.

The same argument that says: "a foul at the end of the game should be called the same as a foul at the beginning of the game"...is in essence saying: "a foul in the national championship game should be called the same as a foul in the regular season".

imho, the ball screen and post defense plays were called differently than earlier in the year.

Let's see how John Adams "grades out" the crew.

From what I've been told, these were the percentage of correct calls (as determined by John Adams) in previous NCAA Championship games:

2010 Duke v Butler: 78%
2009 North Carolina v Mich. St.: 70%

btw, the best officials in the NBA (who advance to the playoffs) are in the 94% or better range.

tomegun Wed Apr 04, 2012 02:00pm

I thought there were several plays that were fouls and were not called. One play that comes to mind was when a Kansas defender just ran into Teague on the perimeter. Teague did a good job of not traveling as a result of the contact.

I'm not sure which of the officials was where on the calls I thought were fouls and it doesn't really matter to me.

tref Wed Apr 04, 2012 02:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by twocentsworth (Post 835746)
No...RSBQ applies to ALL players on the court (defenders as well as offensive players).

If you say so... I honestly think you're mistaking FOM for RSBQ.
I guess it all boils down to who's teaching it & how long one has been applying this concept. The people who have been practicing this for more than 5 seasons always seem to have a better understanding than those who have been introduced to this in the last few months.

Quote:

The same argument that says: "a foul at the end of the game should be called the same as a foul at the beginning of the game"...is in essence saying: "a foul in the national championship game should be called the same as a foul in the regular season".

imho, the ball screen and post defense plays were called differently than earlier in the year.

Did those three work together earlier in the year?
Have you watched every game that those three worked this year?
Perhaps the contact by two great defensive teams that have bigs across the board was considered marginal/incidental since nobody was put at a disadvantage?
Afterall, the same contact on a 5'9" player that results in a foul may not be a foul for a 6'9" player.

Quote:

Let's see how John Adams "grades out" the crew.

From what I've been told, these were the percentage of correct calls (as determined by John Adams) in previous NCAA Championship games:

2010 Duke v Butler: 78%
2009 North Carolina v Mich. St.: 70%

btw, the best officials in the NBA (who advance to the playoffs) are in the 94% or better range.

The numbers you listed are Mr. Adams grading out the entire game. Perhaps two officials were in the mid 90s & one officials was considerably lower which in turn drops the crews overall call accuracy ratings.

I respect your opinion though.

canuckrefguy Wed Apr 04, 2012 04:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 835565)
I know the play you're speaking off...the official blew his whistle at least 4-6 times for a clear and obvious OOB call.

Clear and obvious to those photographers and cheerleaders on the endline - not so much to the folks in the cheap seats, or watching at home.

I didn't - and don't - mind it at all. Now if all of a guy's whistles are like that, there's a problem - but since when did having a little personality, presence, and salesmanship become a negative?

APG Thu Apr 05, 2012 01:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by canuckrefguy (Post 835774)
Clear and obvious to those photographers and cheerleaders on the endline - not so much to the folks in the cheap seats, or watching at home.

I didn't - and don't - mind it at all. Now if all of a guy's whistles are like that, there's a problem - but since when did having a little personality, presence, and salesmanship become a negative?

I'd debate that anyone watching the game didn't know exactly what the whistle was but that's neither hear or there...I don't mind some of the selling when he closed down and point to the spot...just didn't like the 6 or so whistle that were unneeded to sell the call IMO.

rockyroad Thu Apr 05, 2012 09:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomegun (Post 835748)
I thought there were several plays that were fouls and were not called. One play that comes to mind was when a Kansas defender just ran into Teague on the perimeter. Teague did a good job of not traveling as a result of the contact.

I'm not sure which of the officials was where on the calls I thought were fouls and it doesn't really matter to me.

I agree.

I also did not like the fact that quite often both the T and the C were on the ball handler and his defender as the ball was being brought up court and the offense initiated. No pressure - just the two players, and the C is slowly walking up the court with the dribbler and the T.

Adam Thu Apr 05, 2012 09:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 835752)
If you say so... I honestly think you're mistaking FOM for RSBQ.
I guess it all boils down to who's teaching it & how long one has been applying this concept. The people who have been practicing this for more than 5 seasons always seem to have a better understanding than those who have been introduced to this in the last few months.

I have to ask, what's the substantive difference between FOM and RSBQ? They're both just different ways to say "prevented from participating in normal defensive or offensive movements." Don't get me wrong , I think they're great thought processes; but I find the insistence on a distinction on when to use which term to be silly. It's sort of like all the responses that come when someone says a coach "called" a timeout, or worrying about "baseline" vs "endline."