The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 01, 2012, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Ohio State v. Kansas

The travel call with less than a minute left.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sun Apr 01, 2012, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Didn't like the call. There were bigger traveling calls in the game that didn't get called, then they call this.

Was hoping for an OSU win, but still thought it was an ICC.
Old Sun Apr 01, 2012, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

You know what - I think he DID travel.

You know what else? Only one person out of of the 74,000 in the building saw it, or cared.

Proof that even the big dogs have whistles they want back after the dust has settled.
Old Sun Apr 01, 2012, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Still not seeing the travel...at worst I have a legal jump stop.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Old Sun Apr 01, 2012, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Its really hard to tell with with all the feet movement towards the basket. I would have rather had the C or T get that one.
Old Sun Apr 01, 2012, 01:01pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Still not seeing the travel...at worst I have a legal jump stop.
At worst, I thought he jumped off the right and landed on his right; not a legal jump stop. My little screen doesn't do it justice, though. I'd love to see what the calling official thinks of this call after watching the replay. Curiously, is he the one who called the lane violation on Craft?
Old Sun Apr 01, 2012, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

looks like his footwork was right, right, then left....travel
Old Sun Apr 01, 2012, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
At worst, I thought he jumped off the right and landed on his right; not a legal jump stop. My little screen doesn't do it justice, though. I'd love to see what the calling official thinks of this call after watching the replay. Curiously, is he the one who called the lane violation on Craft?
First off, I have the player clearly gathering the ball while both feet are off the floor. But even if we were to say he gathered the ball while having the right foot on the floor, his feet his closely enough that I would have judged it to be simultaneously.

And that free throw violation was clear and obvious and I hope any competent official positioned at the C would call that.

Old Sun Apr 01, 2012, 01:21pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
First off, I have the player clearly gathering the ball while both feet are off the floor. But even if we were to say he gathered the ball while having the right foot on the floor, his feet his closely enough that I would have judged it to be simultaneously.

And that free throw violation was clear and obvious and I hope any competent official positioned at the C would call that.
My computer screen doesn't give me a good clear video (little netbook until we can get a new one), so I can't see which foot lands first (or if they're simultaneous), or if the ball is caught with one foot down or not. I'm merely giving some benefit to the calling official due to my own lack of clarity.

As for the violation. I agree completely. That was just a question of curiosity, nothing more. Not trying to imply it was some sort of phantom make-up call. Officials at that level don't do those; not if they ever want a shot at working another game at that level.
Old Sun Apr 01, 2012, 01:23pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

That said, there was a pretty blatant spin move travel that wasn't called earlier, and those missed calls tend to even out in the end.
Old Sun Apr 01, 2012, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Is there a video posted of FT violation called against Craft?

He clearly broke the plane before ball got to rim, but doesn't he have to touch before ball hits rim?
Old Sun Apr 01, 2012, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ringo View Post

He clearly broke the plane before ball got to rim, but doesn't he have to touch before ball hits rim?
Nope

NCAA
Rule 9
Art. 2. After the ball is placed at the disposal of a free-thrower:
c. The free-thrower shall not break the vertical plane of the free-throw line with either foot until the ball strikes the ring, flange or backboard or until the free throw ends.

For completeness sake

NFHS
Rule 9
ART. 3 . . . After the ball is placed at the disposal of a free thrower:
e. The free thrower shall not have either foot beyond the vertical plane of the edge of the free-throw line which is farther from the basket or the free throw semicircle line.

NBA
Rule 9
b. The free throw shooter may not step over the plane of the free throw line until the ball touches the basket ring, backboard or the free throw ends.
PENALTY:
This is a violation by the shooter on all free throw attempts and no point can be scored.

Last edited by APG; Sun Apr 01, 2012 at 01:35pm.
Old Sun Apr 01, 2012, 01:31pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

Nope, the restrictions along the lane include not breaking the plane of the lane line with the foot. He may not have known that (I'm assuming that's why he was complaining so long).
Old Sun Apr 01, 2012, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
There is a video at: VIDEO: Aaron Craft's Lane Violation Leads To Confusing Ending - SBNation.com

If you pause the video at the right spot you can clearly see Craft across the line well before the ball hits the rim.

I do wonder if Ohio St was confused at the end or had given up at that point. They didn't seem to put much pressure on Kansas to get a quick steal or a 5 second count. I believe they were out of time-outs at that point though to set anything up.
Old Sun Apr 01, 2012, 10:55pm
Administrator

I am going to preface my remarks with a:

ROCK CHOCK JAYHAWK!! GO Kayyy UUUUU!!

That said, I want to know why the L made this call when he had a bunch of players in front of him and the KU player came down the C's side of the court.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio