The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 31, 2012, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

ESPNHS Invitational

Been watching the games the last few days, and noticed that the officials signals and mechanics don't seem as crisp and decisive as the NCAA guys, as would be expected. But it would seem that these guys would be sharper.

Not sure if they are using different rules set, seeing a lot of 2 handed reporting, some things that would qualify as taunting not getting called, a lot of L's looking across the lane rather than rotating.

Nothing major, but just things referees would notice
Old Sat Mar 31, 2012, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7IronRef View Post
Been watching the games the last few days, and noticed that the officials signals and mechanics don't seem as crisp and decisive as the NCAA guys, as would be expected. But it would seem that these guys would be sharper.

Not sure if they are using different rules set, seeing a lot of 2 handed reporting, some things that would qualify as taunting not getting called, a lot of L's looking across the lane rather than rotating.

Nothing major, but just things referees would notice
Nevadaref says it's IAABO Board 12 territory. They're definitely using NFHS mechanics in terms of their rotations.

I noticed some two-handed reporting as well, mainly in the girls' games. I was wondering whether they were using NCAAW mechanics for the girls but then I saw them going opposite the table after fouls calls.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Sat Mar 31, 2012, 02:47pm
Do not give a damn!!

They are probably using whatever mechanics they can use in their area. Not sure why we think there has to be a conscious effort to use a certain level of mechanics. If the assignor does not care, that is all that really matters at the end of the day. These officials must be respected by the people that assigned these games or they would not be on these games.

Peace
Old Sat Mar 31, 2012, 02:50pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
The Montverde vs Findlay Game turned out to be a good one..........HUGE comeback!

Came down to missed FT's - like many games. Whoda thunk!
Old Sat Mar 31, 2012, 03:16pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
The Montverde vs Findlay Game turned out to be a good one..........HUGE comeback!

Came down to missed FT's - like many games. Whoda thunk!
Did you notice how the announcers mentioned a few times that all HS games in the US should use a shot clock? Of course, they didn't mention where the money would come from.
Old Sat Mar 31, 2012, 03:23pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Did you notice how the announcers mentioned a few times that all HS games in the US should use a shot clock? Of course, they didn't mention where the money would come from.
nor do they care......they're just yappin ya know!
Old Sat Mar 31, 2012, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Findlay isn't really a high school team.
Just to be clear Findley is the name of the basketball program and all of the kids go to Henderson International school.
They have an agreement with the state association which grants them sanctioning so they can play in many of the major tournaments across the country, but they forego playing for the NV state title. They are permitted to recruit players as long as the kids are not from NV. This is so the NV schools don't lose all of their top players to this program.
Old Sat Mar 31, 2012, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
I hear it in my area too when local cable shows games from NJ or CT. If those guys want to run the shot clock, I'll be happy to have one.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Sat Mar 31, 2012, 03:52pm
Do not give a damn!!

I believe all these schools participating in this tournament are Prep schools. This basically means they do not play under the state rules that normal schools play in and would not allow these teams to play in this tournament otherwise. At least that is the case from my state and these types of schools are often not present in my state, but there were a couple of attempt. And at least some of the East Coast model the players are sometimes older or have finished their HS career and join these teams in order to make themselves noticed by college teams. This is the reason they often call these schools "Basketball factories." It is questionable if there are even consistent academic standards used to even educate those kids outside of basketball.

Peace
Old Sat Mar 31, 2012, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I believe all these schools participating in this tournament are Prep schools. This basically means they do not play under the state rules that normal schools play in and would not allow these teams to play in this tournament otherwise. At least that is the case from my state and these types of schools are often not present in my state, but there were a couple of attempt. And at least some of the East Coast model the players are sometimes older or have finished their HS career and join these teams in order to make themselves noticed by college teams. This is the reason they often call these schools "Basketball factories." It is questionable if there are even consistent academic standards used to even educate those kids outside of basketball.

Peace
I was just going to post something similar. Most states that I'm aware of (in the midwest anyway) don't allow teams to compete in "national" tournaments such as this. It's a shame that ESPN promotes this as a High School tournament as the only thing "High School" about this tournament is that the players may (or may not) be of High School age.
Old Sat Mar 31, 2012, 08:30pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyezen View Post
It's a shame that ESPN promotes this as a High School tournament as the only thing "High School" about this tournament is that the players may (or may not) be of High School age.
Amen.
Old Sat Mar 31, 2012, 09:04pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyezen View Post
I was just going to post something similar. Most states that I'm aware of (in the midwest anyway) don't allow teams to compete in "national" tournaments such as this. It's a shame that ESPN promotes this as a High School tournament as the only thing "High School" about this tournament is that the players may (or may not) be of High School age.
And given the no-call under the rim, I'm assuming they're not using HS rules, even if it's on a HS court.
Old Sat Mar 31, 2012, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It is questionable if there are even consistent academic standards used to even educate those kids outside of basketball.
I don't think its questionable at all.
Old Sat Mar 31, 2012, 10:28pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
And given the no-call under the rim, I'm assuming they're not using HS rules, even if it's on a HS court.
Not sure I follow. Many people pass on marginal contact (based on their judgement). Actually I think college officials call much more than HS officials want to call.

Peace
Old Sat Mar 31, 2012, 10:33pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Not sure I follow. Many people pass on marginal contact (based on their judgement). Actually I think college officials call much more than HS officials want to call.

Peace
One of the plays Jet posted looked like a good PC, but was no-called. It was low with a secondary defender. I could be misremembering it, though.