The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 22, 2012, 09:10pm
Official Forum Member

Defensive player grabbing the net to pull himself up

I was reffing a rec league game tonight and one of the defensive players grabbed the net to pull himself up for no apparent reason, ball was not on the rim nor did he hang on the rim. His team was getting it handed to them
pretty bad so it was more out of frustration. I hit him with a T but I was a little unsure if the hanging on the rim rule also applied to the net as well.

Thanks in advance for your replies.
Old Thu Mar 22, 2012, 09:16pm
Official Forum Member

Strict ruling, yes it's a technical foul

Rule 10
Section 3 PLAYER TECHNICAL
A player shall not:

ART. 3 . . . Grasp either basket at any time during the game except to prevent injury; dunk or stuff, or attempt to dunk or stuff a dead ball.

The net is considered part of the basket, so it can't be grasped except to prevent injury.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Mar 22, 2012, 09:18pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks APG
Old Thu Mar 22, 2012, 09:20pm
Official Forum Member

The rule is not "hanging on the rim.". The rule states that it is illegal to grasp the basket when not dunking or to prevent injury.
The net is definitely part of the basket, so although you didn't know the rule, you were correct to penalize this act.
Old Thu Mar 22, 2012, 09:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
The rule is not "hanging on the rim.". The rule states that it is illegal to grasp the basket when not dunking or to prevent injury.
The net is definitely part of the basket, so although you didn't know the rule, you were correct to penalize this act.
I understand that there rule isn't a rule called "the hanging on the rim rule"
I was under the impression that a site filled with veteran officials would understand what I was referring to, but in the future I will make sure my questions are more detailed and reference the correct rule.

Last edited by rhodyref401; Thu Mar 22, 2012 at 09:38pm.
Old Thu Mar 22, 2012, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member

My point was that learning/teaching/using incorrect or sloppy terminology leads to misunderstandings about the rules. In your specific case, had you been taught that the rule was for grasping the basket, you wouldn't have had any doubt that this included hanging on the net. You would have known that action was illegal and never even needed to ask the question which you did.

Take a bit of friendly advice and make a little more effort to adhere to precise terminology when talking about basketball rules, especially with officials and you will be better.
Old Thu Mar 22, 2012, 09:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
My point was that learning/teaching/using incorrect or sloppy terminology leads to misunderstandings about the rules. In your specific case, had you been taught that the rule was for grasping the basket, you wouldn't have had any doubt that this included hanging on the net. You would have known that action was illegal and never even needed to ask the question which you did.

Take a bit of friendly advice and make a little more effort to adhere to precise terminology when talking about basketball rules, especially with officials and you will be better.
I asked a question i didn't asked to be chastised, if my lack of knowledge irritates you please don't respond. I am in my 4th month of reffing so if I feel a little unsure about certain rules then i'm gonna seek out clarification. No need to be a jerk.

I want no parts of friendly advice from you sir.
Old Thu Mar 22, 2012, 10:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodyref401 View Post
I asked a question i didn't asked to be chastised, if my lack of knowledge irritates you please don't respond. I am in my 4th month of reffing so if I feel a little unsure about certain rules then i'm gonna seek out clarification. No need to be a jerk.

I want no parts of friendly advice from you sir.
Lighten up! Nevada was certainly not being a jerk and certainly DID NOT chastise you. He merely pointed out that HAD YOU BEEN TAUGHT CORRECTLY, you would know the rule and that using correct, precise terminology is part of what separates officials from coaches, players, and fans. We are the arbiter of the rules. Knowing them and how to identify them correctly increases your credibility. This is a great site for a new guy to learn from and Nevada is one of the best, so it is to your advantage to listen to all advice, rules interpretation, and mechanics advice he and other members of this site offer.
Old Thu Mar 22, 2012, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I understand that there rule isn't a rule called "the hanging on the rim rule"
I was under the impression that a site filled with veteran officials would understand what I was referring to, but in the future I will make sure my questions are more detailed and reference the correct rule.
Dude, ease up. He's simply explaining the correct terminology and the fact that if you use the correct terminlogy, your question is answered. No need to be offended.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Mar 22, 2012, 10:31pm
Official Forum Member

I joined this site to learn from other officials and also pick their brains to help improve my officiating, this is the first thread i have ever started and it will also be the last. Good luck to all of you guys in your careers, and i wish you all much success and good health.
Old Thu Mar 22, 2012, 11:21pm
I miss being on the floor

Quote:
I joined this site to learn from other officials and also pick their brains to help improve my officiating, this is the first thread i have ever started and it will also be the last. Good luck to all of you guys in your careers, and i wish you all much success and good health.
Dude, relax. You gotta have thicker skin than that. It's part of the job anyway.
Old Thu Mar 22, 2012, 11:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Rhody, hopefully you'll take a step back then keep coming back. We all have varying amounts of time in this business and we all correct each other regarding terminology and other stuff. When we use incorrect terminology it can cause confusion when we explain situations to coaches and/or players...and each other. Remember: when we go wrong, the game can go wrong.

It may sound harsh since you're new but it's all said with good intentions and with the intent of helping us learn and get better.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Thu Mar 22, 2012, 11:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I joined this site to learn from other officials and also pick their brains to help improve my officiating, this is the first thread i have ever started and it will also be the last.
Wow. If you're that thin skinned, you won't last long in officiating.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Mar 23, 2012, 07:00am
Esteemed Forum Member

There Are Plenty Of Other Schools In The Sea ...

Quote:
This is the first thread i have ever started and it will also be the last.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Wow. If you're that thin skinned, you won't last long in officiating.
"Hey Coach. This is the first time that you've challenged my call and it will be the last time that a you challenge my call. Don't expect me to ever work in this gym again. I will be blocking your team on Arbiter as soon as I get home."
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Mar 23, 2012, 07:32am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Part of learning the rules is learning the correct terminology, pure and simple. If that offends you then don't ask fellow officials to answer your questions, just go straight to the rule book where you don't have to worry about personalities.

You and Duffman should start a revolution.

You 2 never would have survived if these guys were giving you feedback:

Last edited by Raymond; Fri Mar 23, 2012 at 07:41am.