The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 22, 2012, 11:43pm
Official Forum Member

Uncorrected correctable error

For those who may not watch NCAAW, there was an uncorrected correctable error in a game Monday night.

What I've been trying to figure out is what was the alternate doing during all of this? One of the main things you're supposed to do in that position is keep track of fouls.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Fri Mar 23, 2012, 03:56am
Official Forum Member

I have two thoughts on the video.

1. It is hard for me to tell in the video if the foul is a team control foul or a rebounding foul as I look at the small screen on my phone. Is this foul clearer on an actual monitor? Perhaps this was part of the confusion for a couple members of the crew, especially the two non-calling officials.

2. I can't stand it when officials put their hands on each other's waists during a conference about a play. It just looks like a group hug. It also seems to convey the image that one official is trying to steer the other or convince that person to do it a certain way. I just think that it looks really poor.
Old Fri Mar 23, 2012, 05:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
1. It is hard for me to tell in the video if the foul is a team control foul or a rebounding foul as I look at the small screen on my phone. Is this foul clearer on an actual monitor? Perhaps this was part of the confusion for a couple members of the crew, especially the two non-calling officials.
Yep. It's better on an actual monitor. The ninth WVU foul was called by the C against #20...the taller of the two players who went for the rebound on the C's side.

Quote:
2. I can't stand it when officials put their hands on each other's waists during a conference about a play. It just looks like a group hug. It also seems to convey the image that one official is trying to steer the other or convince that person to do it a certain way. I just think that it looks really poor.
I thought I was in a small club when it came to people who don't like to see officials put their hands on each other's waists during huddles/conferences. Maybe it's a show of solidarity but I think the fact we're all wearing striped shirts should be enough.
Old Fri Mar 23, 2012, 08:30am
Archaic Power Monger

I don't really care for the look of officials touching each other either. The other official gesturing like that in Barlow's face doesn't really look that great either. She looks like she is lecturing her. I know that was probably was not her intent but it's the first impression I get.

Speaking about Federation (somebody please correct me if NCAA is different): The CE timeframe closed as soon as WVU inbounded the ball after Stanford's made basket following the foul, correct?
Old Fri Mar 23, 2012, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Speaking about Federation (somebody please correct me if NCAA is different): The CE timeframe closed as soon as WVU inbounded the ball after Stanford's made basket following the foul, correct?
Both codes are the same: the window closed when the ball was at the disposal of WVU following the made field goal.
Old Fri Mar 23, 2012, 09:20am
Archaic Power Monger

Thanks and yikes, you are correct, when the ball is at the disposal of WVU. That's what I meant but certainly not what I typed!
Old Fri Mar 23, 2012, 02:08pm
Official & Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Looks especially bad when it's a mixed sex crew. Wayyy to familiar looking (and unprofessional). Save that for date night.