The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 22, 2012, 08:09am
I got a Basketball Jones!

From one of our local pundits

NCAA tournament: Refs should adjust in games’ final minutes

I wouldn't want you all to get the wrong impression but I only read this digital rag to get sports scores and horse racing results.

And to think she has the chutzpah to opine about real sports, not just the wimmens!

http://http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/ncaa-tournament-refs-should-adjust-in-games-final-minutes/2012/03/21/gIQAYes9RS_story.html
Old Thu Mar 22, 2012, 08:52am
Courageous When Prudent

See if this works: NCAA tournament: Refs should adjust in games’ final minutes - The Washington Post
Old Thu Mar 22, 2012, 09:41am
Keeper of the HAMMER

What they're really saying is basketball games should have different rules when the results matter.

Stupid journalists.
Old Thu Mar 22, 2012, 10:19am
Back from the DL

Stupid? I don't think so. Heavily flawed? Absolutely. And, the foundation lies in this myopic myth from the article...

Quote:
A point arrives when the penalty for an infraction has a greater impact on the final score than the infraction itself.
Here's are two realities of basketball I've come to learn:
*A game is never decided by one play. It is always decided by the totality of the 32/40/48 minutes (plus overtime, if applicable). If one play decided a game, you wouldn't need the other minutes.

*Every single time there's a one-point game, without exception, it's inevitable that the officials have done something -- via action or inaction -- to affect the outcome. Way too much goes on within the game's time span not to be the case.

So, why do we buy into this myth? It really comes down to human memory capacity. We can only remember so much, and we just can't take in all 60-100 possessions. Therefore, when a controversial call happens in a game's closing minutes, it's still typically fresh in people's minds. However, if a call is kicked in the first half, people get mad for 5-10 seconds, but just move onto the next play.

In truth, the smaller the score's margin, the greater chance an official's rulings -- be they in the beginning, middle, or end of a game -- will affect that game's outcome. While those look at Notre Dame/Xavier, I guarantee you that there were rulings in other close games that affected that game just as much.
Old Thu Mar 22, 2012, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

There's only one thing I agreed with in the article...

I wouldn't mind seeing a lane violation being ignored, for both teams, if the free throw is made. Realistically, there was no impact on the violation in the Xavier game. Now the call was correct, and since the violation was so clear and obvious, it had to be called...but I'd like a rule change to ignore if the free throw is made.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Mar 22, 2012, 10:27am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post

I wouldn't mind seeing a lane violation being ignored, for both teams, if the free throw is made. Realistically, there was no impact on the violation in the Xavier game. Now the call was correct, and since the violation was so clear and obvious, it had to be called...but I'd like a rule change to ignore if the free throw is made.
I agree, with the exception of a violation by the shooter.
Old Thu Mar 22, 2012, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GROUPthink View Post
I agree, with the exception of a violation by the shooter.
If the free throw shooter entered in early after releasing the ball, I wouldn't have an issue there either if he makes the free throw.

Things like faking a throw and actually shooting the ball on the line, I'd say enforce when violated.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Last edited by APG; Thu Mar 22, 2012 at 10:59am.
Old Thu Mar 22, 2012, 10:49am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by justacoach View Post
NCAA tournament: Refs should adjust in games’ final minutes

I wouldn't want you all to get the wrong impression but I only read this digital rag to get sports scores and horse racing results.

And to think she has the chutzpah to opine about real sports, not just the wimmens!

http://http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/ncaa-tournament-refs-should-adjust-in-games-final-minutes/2012/03/21/gIQAYes9RS_story.html

Come on Coach, we really know you read it only for the horse racing results, .

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Mar 22, 2012, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I don't agree with that concept. The rule should stay as written if the offense violates first. It wouldn't matter if the defense violates thats what the delayed signal is for.

Last edited by truerookie; Thu Mar 22, 2012 at 10:54am.
Old Thu Mar 22, 2012, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by truerookie View Post
Is that not the case with the delay signal? Or am I missing the point?
Only for defensive lane violations. Offensive should, by rule, called immediately when the player commits the violation.
Old Thu Mar 22, 2012, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't agree with that concept. The rule should stay as written if the offense violates first. It wouldn't matter if the defense violates thats what the delayed signal is for.
Why? What advantage did the Xavier kid gain by entering in early on a made free throw?

Old Thu Mar 22, 2012, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Why? What advantage did the Xavier kid gain by entering in early on a made free throw?
It doesn't matter he left before the release from the shooter. He should been disciplined enough not to do that. It may have been a delay on the official behalf to process and make the call but it was the right call.

There is an requirement for the defense make or miss the same must apply for the offense as well.
Old Thu Mar 22, 2012, 11:01am
Back from the DL

Quote:
There may be unintended consequences, such as more players crashing the boards early, taking a risk they won't get caught, and knowing they wouldn't be penalized, anyway, if the shot it good. The point of the rule is to prevent such early crashes.
Old Thu Mar 22, 2012, 11:31am
TODO: creative title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by justacoach View Post

Is that comment really necessary?
Old Thu Mar 22, 2012, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It doesn't matter he left before the release from the shooter. He should been disciplined enough not to do that. It may have been a delay on the official behalf to process and make the call but it was the right call.

There is an requirement for the defense make or miss the same must apply for the offense as well.
I'm not talking bout that actual ruling in the Xavier game and whether it should have or not been called. It was a clear and obvious violation and had to be called. Doesn't mean I don't think the rule is stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
There may be unintended consequences, such as more players crashing the boards early, taking a risk they won't get caught, and knowing they wouldn't be penalized, anyway, if the shot it good. The point of the rule is to prevent such early crashes.
Then call the foul. Even then, I doubt it would lead to what you propose.

As is, someone mentioned in another thread that the FIBA rule for free throws is the same as what I propose. They don't seem to have an issue with it.