The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 23, 2003, 08:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by whistleone

11) If it's a flop, the head goes back first. If it's a charge, the head goes forward.

Interesting - it's physically correct (in a good deal of cases), but might be hard to distinguish in a "bang-bang" play . . .
Old Tue Jun 24, 2003, 12:26am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
11) If it's a flop, the head goes back first. If it's a charge, the head goes forward.
Interesting!! I'm definitely going to watch for this, and see what I think...

Old Tue Jun 24, 2003, 01:11am
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb All you really have to do...........

is look at the feet. If the feet stay in the same place, it is usually a flop. If the feet move and the player goes backwards, it is charge.

I never heard of the head movement before, I might have to pay more attention to that in the future.

Peace
Old Wed Jun 25, 2003, 02:00am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Isaak
Just a matter of interest - when you guys are quoting rules which rulebooks are you using ... FIBA or some USA college/highschool...or whatever other interpretations you have over there?!?!

(¯`?.¸(¯`?.¸ keeping it real ¸.?´¯)¸.?´¯)
Old Wed Jun 25, 2003, 08:21am
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Only HS.

Quote:
Originally posted by Isaak
Just a matter of interest - when you guys are quoting rules which rulebooks are you using ... FIBA or some USA college/highschool...or whatever other interpretations you have over there?!?!
You know about 95 percent of us are HS Officials, so when we talk about rules and camps, we are only refering to National Federation Rules. Ya know, none of us are previledged enough to attend NCAA driven camps.

Peace
Old Wed Jun 25, 2003, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref

Geeze....what a mess.

Anyway, this thread includes 2 new ways (new to me at least) of determining a flop and now I'm left wondering why it's a good idea to watch a defenders feet or head when we should be looking for body contact.
Old Wed Jun 25, 2003, 09:47am
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb More than body contact.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref

Geeze....what a mess.

Anyway, this thread includes 2 new ways (new to me at least) of determining a flop and now I'm left wondering why it's a good idea to watch a defenders feet or head when we should be looking for body contact.
Of course you are looking at body contact, but it is always good to look at other markers to help make your calls more consistant and obvious.

Peace
Old Wed Jun 25, 2003, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:

Geeze....what a mess.

I don't know, Dan, I think it would be possible to watch for contact, and also watch the defender's head. The feet are more tricky, and I think less telling. But the head could be a great indicator of what's happening in the defender's brain. I do think that this shouldn't be the only measure, though. A kid may start to flop, but then get bowled over. In that case, if the defender is actually moving backward (to flop), and he or she still takes enough contact, I'd call the PC.
Old Wed Jun 25, 2003, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:

Geeze....what a mess.

I don't know, Dan, I think it would be possible to watch for contact, and also watch the defender's head. The feet are more tricky, and I think less telling. But the head could be a great indicator of what's happening in the defender's brain. I do think that this shouldn't be the only measure, though. A kid may start to flop, but then get bowled over. In that case, if the defender is actually moving backward (to flop), and he or she still takes enough contact, I'd call the PC.
Agree it's easy enough to watch the head movement of the defender - but my point is why? IMO block/charge is easy enough, even on bang/bang plays. If you're in position to look at the defenders head movement then you probably shouldn't need this clue to call it correctly. And yes, the defender can flop backwards and still get the charge if there's sufficient contact.
Old Wed Jun 25, 2003, 05:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Agree it's easy enough to watch the head movement of the defender - but my point is why? IMO block/charge is easy enough, even on bang/bang plays. If you're in position to look at the defenders head movement then you probably shouldn't need this clue to call it correctly. And yes, the defender can flop backwards and still get the charge if there's sufficient contact.

It's not a 100% indicator, but the laws of physics govern the flop/charge one.

Due to inertia, the head will stay still upon chest contact, at least until the neck (hopefully) pulls the head back. If it all goes together, it's because the muscles are pulling the neck back.
Old Wed Jun 25, 2003, 06:24pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

But when I'm alone in the half-light of the canyon, all existence seems to fade to being with my soul and memories, and the sounds of the Big Blackfoot River and a four-count rhythm, and a hope that a fish will rise. Eventually all things merge into one....and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood, and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words. And some of the words are theirs.

I am haunted by waters

BsktBallRef, that is breathtaking.

Old Wed Jun 25, 2003, 07:12pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
But the head could be a great indicator of what's happening in the defender's brain.
Juulie - I want to see you apply this principle in the games we have together tomorrow night.
Old Wed Jun 25, 2003, 09:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Isaak
Wink

Sorry to get off track again, but just how many differences are there between your HS rules and say, FIBA rules. Cause I know NBA rules are a pile of .... but was wondering if all your other leagues are the same

(¯`?.¸(¯`?.¸ keeping it real ¸.?´¯)¸.?´¯)
Old Wed Jun 25, 2003, 11:13pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
12) Learn these 3 phrases:
-Coach, you're right.
Is that French? I don't understand it.
Old Thu Jun 26, 2003, 12:04am
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Seriously......

Quote:
Originally posted by Isaak
Sorry to get off track again, but just how many differences are there between your HS rules and say, FIBA rules. Cause I know NBA rules are a pile of .... but was wondering if all your other leagues are the same
Most of us have no experience with FIBA Rules. In the states we only deal with NF (High School) and NCAA (College) and some have NBA Rules for Pro-Am Leagues. FIBA is only something we see during the Olympics or the World Championships if we even care to watch. So you are not going to find many here that know much or anything about FIBA Rules in that much detail.

Peace