The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 16, 2003, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

I worked a Beast of the East tourney in DC this weekend and ran into a request from a coach that I had never heard of.Team B player is stuck with a "T" because he wanted to officiate more than he wanted to play. Team A's coach wanted a kid that was on the floor to shoot the 1st free throw and said that if he missed he wanted to sub a kid in from the bench to shoot the 2nd shot. This was a new one on me. I told the coach that I didn't think 2 players could shoot the free throws. He said he was sure that they could. I told him that he may be right but I only let one kid shoot both free throws (he made both). After I got back to the hotel, I looked up the ruling and the book stated that the coach or captain can choose the thrower(s). The (s) led me to believe that the coach was right. Thoughts from the gallery?
Old Mon Jun 16, 2003, 09:01am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by tnroundballref
The (s) led me to believe that the coach was right. Thoughts from the gallery?
Coach was right.NFHS rules reference is R8-3.Also see casebook play 8.2SITUATION.That points out that what the coach wanted to do is legal.
Old Mon Jun 16, 2003, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Just a side note, in NCAA, the same player must shoot both FTs (although that player may be an entering substitute). Rule reference - surprise! - is also 8-3