The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 19, 2012, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

Trail was watching on ball, lead was rotating and it appears took eye of primary, C should have grabbed it, but appears to be watching for any BI GT.

Pretty shocking.

Edit: Just watched again, don't know how C missed it, and it appears lead had a peek too.

Last edited by fullor30; Mon Mar 19, 2012 at 09:14am.
Old Mon Mar 19, 2012, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Just heard Kendall Marshall has broken his wrist. Unbelievable. I hope the thugs from Creighton are happy.
Between this and the Duke thread, I think it's safe to say we have a UNC fanboy on our hands.
Old Mon Mar 19, 2012, 09:53am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Play where Marshall's wrist was broken.
This one looks like a fluke from that angle. Nothing particularly noteworthy about the foul itself.
Old Mon Mar 19, 2012, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Actually the only other time Zeller hit the floor was a couple of minutes AFTER Echenique leveled him. That was when he took a forearm to the chest but was called for an &1 block.
The play you are referring to was a good no call, big time flop. As for the OP, I saw that live and was shocked there was nothing on it. Creighton's big guy chucked Zeller pretty good like this on the trip before as well.
Old Tue Mar 20, 2012, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco View Post
Between this and the Duke thread, I think it's safe to say we have a UNC fanboy on our hands.
Actually no. I've been a UNC fan since I was 10 years old and I've posted about plays from UNC games a helluva lot longer than you've been here.

A fanboy is one who comes here and complains about calls that cost his team the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame99 View Post
The play you are referring to was a good no call, big time flop.
Actually no, it was called a block on Zeller.

Quote:
As for the OP, I saw that live and was shocked there was nothing on it. Creighton's big guy chucked Zeller pretty good like this on the trip before as well.
McDermott called Echenique into his office on Monday morning, watched the play with him and told him it was "unacceptable."

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Mar 20, 2012, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
This one looks like a fluke from that angle. Nothing particularly noteworthy about the foul itself.
Just an overall game plan of physical play that ended up being viewed by many as dirty play. And that's not just Carolina fans. McDermott called Roy Williams on Monday and apologized for any plays that were perceived as dirty, as that was not his intent. I take him at his word.

The foul on Marshall was a forearm to the ribs after he was already by the fouler.

Last edited by BktBallRef; Tue Mar 20, 2012 at 07:35pm.
Old Tue Mar 20, 2012, 05:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
A fanboy is one who comes here and complains about calls that cost his team the game.
No, a fanboy is someone who lets his affinity for a certain team cloud his better judgment, which is what you've done several times in this and other threads about Carolina. Winning or losing the game doesn't necessarily play into the definition.

Calling an entire team "thugs" because there was one blatantly thuggish play by one player and several questionable but not overtly thuggish plays makes you, by definition, a fanboy.

Just own it, dude.
Old Tue Mar 20, 2012, 05:27pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

So, which plays is BktBallRef wrong about?

Last edited by Adam; Tue Mar 20, 2012 at 05:28pm. Reason: quote redacted to respect various ignore lists
Old Tue Mar 20, 2012, 05:34pm
Esteemed Participant

BktBallRef - wasn't there a play later in the game where on of the Creighton players went out of his way to smack Marshall on that injured wrist AFTER the play had been blown dead?
Old Tue Mar 20, 2012, 07:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No, a fanboy is someone who lets his affinity for a certain team cloud his better judgment, which is what you've done several times in this and other threads about Carolina. Winning or losing the game doesn't necessarily play into the definition.

Calling an entire team "thugs" because there was one blatantly thuggish play by one player and several questionable but not overtly thuggish plays makes you, by definition, a fanboy.

Just own it, dude.
Whatever you say, newbie.

Old Tue Mar 20, 2012, 07:26pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

Just own it, dude.
One attribute of a fanboy is that the person comes *only* to be a fanboy. It doesn't mean that a poster can't be a fan, even a rabid fan.

So calling BktBallRef a fanboy is laughable.
Old Tue Mar 20, 2012, 07:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
BktBallRef - wasn't there a play later in the game where on of the Creighton players went out of his way to smack Marshall on that injured wrist AFTER the play had been blown dead?
Henson, not Marshall.

That was the play that got it all started early in the game. Henson was fouled by Wragge under the Carolina basket. After the whistle blew, Gibbs came in and took 2-3 swipes, nailing Henson's wrist. Henson took exception, got in his face and O'Neill hit him with the T. The cameras caught Gibbs winking to his bench after the incident.

Williams talked to Tom O'Neill and Marshall spoke with Pat Driscoll and ask that they look for plays where CU must be intentionally going after Henson's wrist.

The Zeller-Echenique play I posted to start this thread came next.

In the second half, the foul by Wragge on Marshall came at the 10:56 mark. I don't think it was a dirty foul but it was obviously part of their physical game plan.

About a minute plus later, PJ Hairston stole a rebound that CU should have had and went straight to the basket. Gibbs hit him in the head from behind to try and stop him from making the shot. Foul called. Hairston turned and started to take exception but controlled himself.

As I wrote above, Coach Williams had planned to call Coach McDermott on Monday about the first play I posted. But McDermott called first and apologized for anything that was perceived as dirty. He had Echenique review the Zeller play and explained that he would tolerate that type of play.

Creighton's game plan was to be physical, "You can't push us around" type deal. That said so in interviews after the game. But those plays fueled the fire, with many people in the media, obviously Carolina fans, and even some Creighton fans calling them out for dirty play.

Old Tue Mar 20, 2012, 08:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GROUPthink View Post
One attribute of a fanboy is that the person comes *only* to be a fanboy. It doesn't mean that a poster can't be a fan, even a rabid fan.

So calling BktBallRef a fanboy is laughable.
Whatever you say, newbie.
Old Tue Mar 20, 2012, 08:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame99 View Post
The play you are referring to was a good no call, big time flop..
Quote:
Actually no, it was called a block on Zeller.
Correctly called a block at that. Zellar flopped out of it with marginal contact into a position on the floor the NCAA has deemed illegal and was thus called for the block when there was again contact with the shooter from this now illegal position.

The lead on that play had perfect position and had nothing else to look at.....I trust he saw it for what it was and called it correctly.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Tue Mar 20, 2012 at 08:27pm.
Old Tue Mar 20, 2012, 08:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Henson, not Marshall.

That was the play that got it all started early in the game. Henson was fouled by Wragge under the Carolina basket. After the whistle blew, Gibbs came in and took 2-3 swipes, nailing Henson's wrist. Henson took exception, got in his face and O'Neill hit him with the T. The cameras caught Gibbs winking to his bench after the incident.
You make the sequence of events seem a lot more stretched out in time than they were. At the time it occurred, the timing of the events all seemed part of normal play....he didn't seem to go after him after the whistle. He was going in for the ball around the same time as the original foul and stopped maybe a bit after the whistle.....a fairly normal reaction time it seemed.

Did the cameras really catch him winking? I don't know...maybe but it could be that he just blinked. I don't have the replay to check. But i'm sure if you were looking for a wink, you could find one.

The only play I felt was of questionable cleanliness was the one in the video that started this thread....that should have been a FF1.