The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 15, 2012, 09:14pm
C'mon man!!

Double dribble call without even dribbling???

If someone could pull the video from tonight's S. Dakota/Baylor game at 17:25ish in the first half one of the Dakota guys gets called for a double dribble but he never put the ball on the floor.
Old Fri Mar 16, 2012, 12:16am
Official Forum Member

Haven't seen the play, but the call is actually "illegal dribble"...which I suppose could happen without it hitting the floor.
Old Fri Mar 16, 2012, 12:22am
I miss being on the floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
If someone could pull the video from tonight's S. Dakota/Baylor game at 17:25ish in the first half one of the Dakota guys gets called for a double dribble but he never put the ball on the floor.
Tell us a little more about the play until the video gets up?
Old Fri Mar 16, 2012, 01:26am
Official Forum Member

No video...but a description

SDSU #42 receives pass in the low post and, without dribbling, spins, leaves his feet and attempts a layup. BU #4 comes over in an attempt to block the shot. While SDSU #42 is in the air the ball leaves his hands, he catches it and lands. The L calls an illegal dribble.

BU #4 doesn't appear to have touched the ball but I'm not entirely sure how the ball left SDSU #42's hands...it didn't look like he shot it. He may have lost control on the way up or had it hit him in the head. At any rate, it wasn't an illegal dribble since he never dribbled in the first place.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Fri Mar 16, 2012, 01:36am
Official Forum Member

Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri Mar 16, 2012, 03:32am
Official Forum Member

That would be an illegal dribble because it never hit the floor as required for a legal dribble.

It could also be a travel, and usually is by most officials.

Either way, it is not legal and could be justified by either rule.
Old Fri Mar 16, 2012, 03:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
SDSU #42 receives pass in the low post and, without dribbling, spins, leaves his feet and attempts a layup. BU #4 comes over in an attempt to block the shot. While SDSU #42 is in the air the ball leaves his hands, he catches it and lands. The L calls an illegal dribble.

BU #4 doesn't appear to have touched the ball but I'm not entirely sure how the ball left SDSU #42's hands...it didn't look like he shot it. He may have lost control on the way up or had it hit him in the head. At any rate, it wasn't an illegal dribble since he never dribbled in the first place.
I just watched the video clip. The official must make a judgment decision on whether the player released the ball purposely or if it accidentally slipped from his grasp. The player may retrieve the latter as it would be a fumble, he may also get the former if it is deemed a try, but not if he simply tossed the ball in order to move to a new location. That ball must strike the floor to be a legal dribble (also needs to be released prior to the pivot being lifted). So the official was correct to signal an illegal dribble here, given that he must have decided upon a deliberate release of the ball.
The NFHS case play used to also say illegal dribble for this, but got altered to a traveling violation by the former editor a couple of years ago.
Old Fri Mar 16, 2012, 07:01am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

I've called this a travel in the past, as I think that the travel is easier to sell.

It's more difficult to sell what coaches know as a double dribble (rather than the illegal dribble) than a travel.
Old Fri Mar 16, 2012, 07:24am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
The official must make a judgment decision on whether the player released the ball purposely or if it accidentally slipped from his grasp.
I agree 100%. It looks purposeful to me, and I would also have ruled it illegal. Out of instinct, I probably would have signaled traveling, but I don't have a problem with the illegal dribble signal.
Old Fri Mar 16, 2012, 07:52am
Official Forum Member

It's nit picking but I still consider this a double dribble. I think the AR supports it as well.

Quote:
A.R. 221.
After:
(1) Receiving a pass; or
(2) Ending his/her dribble,
A1 jumps into the air on a try for goal, is contested by B1 and since A1 could not get his/her try for goal off, he/she voluntarily throws the ball to the playing court.
In both (1) and (2), A1 is the first to touch the ball.
RULING: (1) A1 has committed a traveling violation because he/she did not release the ball before picking up his/her pivot foot.
(Rule 9-6 and 4-72.4.b)
(2) A1’s release of the ball, after being airborne, was the start of a second dribble. When A1 touched the ball, he committed a double dribble violation.
I think the key here is the SDSU player never started a dribble so there's no way he could've dribbled illegally in the first place.

I know it's a violation either way but when I found the AR that prompted some more thoughts.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Fri Mar 16, 2012, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

So most of you guys actually think, even watching the replay, that the player had intent and purpose to fumble the ball closer towards the basket? To me, WITH the benefit of replay, it appears he either attempted a shot or fumbled trying to shoot and that quite possibly the defender flying by had something to do with it. I mean he puts up a one-footer from 3 feet out? Who plans that move? I feel it was a legal play based on the fact that you are allowed to recover, as another poster says, either the fumble or shot attempt. Is the NCAA ruling here the same as NFHS?
Old Fri Mar 16, 2012, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by letemplay View Post
So most of you guys actually think, even watching the replay, that the player had intent and purpose to fumble the ball closer towards the basket? To me, WITH the benefit of replay, it appears he either attempted a shot or fumbled trying to shoot and that quite possibly the defender flying by had something to do with it. I mean he puts up a one-footer from 3 feet out? Who plans that move? I feel it was a legal play based on the fact that you are allowed to recover, as another poster says, either the fumble or shot attempt. Is the NCAA ruling here the same as NFHS?
Sure looked like he had intent to me......realized because of near block he was coming down with ball and let go. I can't recall ever seeing it in any of my games.

Good call.

Last edited by fullor30; Fri Mar 16, 2012 at 11:58am.
Old Fri Mar 16, 2012, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by letemplay View Post
Legal? Really? Travel or Illegal Dribble, I can see points for either, but not legal. I really don't think this was an accidental loss of control. His line to the bucket was cut off and he let go of the ball. Even if it was truly accidental, it doesn't look like it and you'll be a lot better off calling the travel/illegal dribble in this case.
Old Fri Mar 16, 2012, 12:28pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

The illegal dribble call is closer to the rule as it developed, with the now-ancient air dribble. It also adheres to the concept that a player must be holding the ball to travel.
Old Fri Mar 16, 2012, 01:17pm
C'mon man!!

Good explanation fellas. I didn't watch it in slow motion and when I saw it the first time I thought the defender had knocked the ball loose. It is always easier to see when you are on the court than on TV.