The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   NCAA Tournament Video Request Thread (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/89897-ncaa-tournament-video-request-thread.html)

JetMetFan Fri Mar 16, 2012 03:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 832457)
I don't think travels are big on John Adams' radar while I think on the NCAA-W's side it has been emphasized the last few years.

True. The folks on NCAAW side want us to get them. We received the following note from the home office before the '09-10 season regarding spin moves and it still holds (I added the bold):

Quote:

1. All spin moves are NOT traveling violations; illegal spin moves are traveling violations. When the word “automatic” was used at the officiating clinics, it was used analogous to two hands on the ball handler/dribbler. When a player stops her dribble with one foot on the court (pivot foot), she spins on the other foot and then puts the first/pivot foot back to the court – a traveling violation has occurred – it’s an automatic; it’s the rule!
2. As mentioned on the Officiating Instructional DVD, we don’t want to “guess” on an infraction; the benefit of any doubt goes to the player executing the move. However, officials mustn’t use this as an excuse for never calling an illegal move – having “doubt” on every play. Officials must work hard to find the pivot foot and determine what is being done with that pivot foot, in order to properly adjudicate the rule.
3. Coaches and players will make an adjustment (and some already have) in order to execute a legal move, in one of the following ways:
a. The player will keep her dribble longer;
b. She will end the dribble with both feet in contact with the court, therefore permitting her to establish either foot as the pivot – then likely performing a step-through move; or
c. She will NOT put the pivot foot back down and will go up to shoot/pass off of one foot.
Situation 3c is the one we see way more than NCAAM will. Women will take that shot after a spin with their pivot foot in the air because they know they'll get called for a the travel if it comes down. I don't think men's players are as worried about that situation.

Nevadaref Fri Mar 16, 2012 05:59pm

Two plays from Norfolk State/Missouri.
Ten seconds left Norfolk end line throw-in. Did the thrower get in or violate on the return pass. Hightower was covering official and standing well into the court. Despite that positioning I believe that the correct call was made.
Play 2: final time-out with about 3 seconds after missed FTs by Norfolk. Where is the correct throw-in spot? Crew went sideline. I believe end line was proper.

APG Fri Mar 16, 2012 06:04pm

I believe the throw-in play was correct...but that Hightower was lucky to get the call correct. That positioning was a prime example of what not to do.

Johnny Ringo Fri Mar 16, 2012 07:01pm

IMO the ball was still in the paint when the official signaled for the TO. The ball should have went to the end line.

APG Fri Mar 16, 2012 07:03pm

I already put the video of the throw-in in the appropriate thread and same with the other throw-in play Nevada requested.

Raymond Fri Mar 16, 2012 08:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 832490)
I believe the throw-in play was correct...but that Hightower was lucky to get the call correct. That positioning was a prime example of what not to do.

That's the mechanic that most drives me crazy by some of those old-time legends (Burr/Hightower/Tim Higgins). Can lead to so many problems.

Johnny Ringo Fri Mar 16, 2012 09:24pm

Another play: St. Mary's player commits a violation near the end of the game. He moved too much on a throw-in where he was not allowed to move.

The official's signal was a travel! Someone tell me this is not correct... Isn't this simply a violation and point at the spot?

Video would be great if you can get it.

stiffler3492 Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Ringo (Post 832522)
Another play: St. Mary's player commits a violation near the end of the game. He moved too much on a throw-in where he was not allowed to move.

The official's signal was a travel! Someone tell me this is not correct... Isn't this simply a violation and point at the spot?

Video would be great if you can get it.

Along this line....

2:16 of the first half, Purdue with a spot throw in in their frontcourt. Looked like the inbounder may have moved outside of the three foot window. No call made.

stiffler3492 Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:11pm

Also, last couple of minutes of the first half of Notre Dame/Xavier, there was some sort of flailing spin move by a Xavier player in his backcourt...looked like a travel.

stiffler3492 Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:37pm

Another...South Florida/Temple

About the 12:35 mark of the second half, possible basket interference.

stiffler3492 Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:38pm

We oughta pitch in and buy you a case of whatever you want APG!

David B Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:25pm

Notre Dame and Xavier

Ok need to see video of this one at end of the game. On my DVR the ball released before anyone was in the lane, but is the rule when it hits the basket as in HS or when the ball is released? Announcers as usual don't know what they are talking about.

Thanks
David

APG Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by David B (Post 832539)
Ok need to see video of this one at end of the game. On my DVR the ball released before anyone was in the lane, but is the rule when it hits the basket as in HS or when the ball is released? Announcers as usual don't know what they are talking about.

Thanks
David

Only players in marked lane spaces can enter in on the release. Everyone else (except the shooter) is on the rim, flange, or backboard.

stiffler3492 Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:28pm

#22 in white crossed the three point line well before the ball hit the rim. Same thing happened in the Syracuse game last night.

David B Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 832541)
Only players in marked lane spaces can enter in on the release. Everyone else (except the shooter) is on the rim, flange, or backboard.

Thanks, that is what i thought, but wanted to make sure. Great call and gutsy to make that call!!!

Announcers are killing me with their comments!

Thanks
David