The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 11, 2012, 07:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judtech View Post
I thought he was gonna punch Fran Frashilla (sp)! Fran kept saying that by NOT calling the PC the officials were NOT letting the players decide the game bc there was good defense played. It got pretty heated and made me think more of Fran and less of Digger!
IMO you have to put that play and call/no call in context of the earlier similar play.
I'm gaining some respect for Fraschilla too. He's been pretty outspoken about seeing fouls called regardless of the situation. granted, he's not right all the time but at least he's willing to say it...unlike Doris "there are too many charging fouls" Burke.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Sun Mar 11, 2012, 07:41am
Official Forum Member

You gotta let players decide the game!...until it affects my team!
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sun Mar 11, 2012, 08:40am
Official & Member

Doesn't look like defender had LGP (to me). I like the no-call here.
Old Sun Mar 11, 2012, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahoopref View Post
Play starts in the T's area and moves into the L's primary area of coverage; not a secondary defender. L appears to have a wide/open look.

In plays like this that have happened to me in the past, if I'm the T and I don't stay connected to the play, I'm trusting the L will make the call....any call. During the pre-game, I tell my crew if a player(s) is on the floor we have to know why he is down there on the floor.

If an evaluator comes in after the game and asks what happened, the L is gonna have to "man-up" and explain his non-call. In any case, I'm gonna trust my partner that the "no-call" at that time was the right decision.
Oh, so you will hang you partner(s) out to dry?

Play starts in your area, you will pass it off on someone whom may be working off ball looking for a secondary defender to come into the picture.

Then if an evaluator comes and question the call the L will have to "man up" How about the person where the play originated from "MAN UP" and say. I did not stay with the play until there was a change in status of the ball (pass, shot, or foul) have taken place.

Unbelieveable!!! IMO
Old Sun Mar 11, 2012, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

In my opinion, the dribbler clearly initiates contact in order to create space so he can get off the shot. An obvious advantage is gained. It's a game-changer and a clear player control foul. Especially given the situation, someone has to have a whistle.

The unfortunate thing is that with the Hess ejections of a few weeks ago, the NC State fans are going to start talking about conspiracy. Obviously a bunch of baloney, but we all know it's coming.
Old Sun Mar 11, 2012, 09:47am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by truerookie View Post

Play starts in your area, you will pass it off on someone whom may be working off ball looking for a secondary defender to come into the picture.

Then if an evaluator comes and question the call the L will have to "man up" How about the person where the play originated from "MAN UP" and say. I did not stay with the play until there was a change in status of the ball (pass, shot, or foul) have taken place.

Unbelieveable!!! IMO
I'm not sure I get this -- this decision is clearly in the L's primary and in the men's game I'd be shocked if they pregamed this as anything other than the L taking this all the way. Lead is king on these.

I've been in the same position on a play like this and it's not a trivial thing for the T to come all the way down there to grab that one.
Old Sun Mar 11, 2012, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jearef View Post

The unfortunate thing is that with the Hess ejections of a few weeks ago, the NC State fans are going to start talking about conspiracy. Obviously a bunch of baloney, but we all know it's coming.
Well Brian Dorsey didn't exactly help quell the conspiracy theorists at all...
Old Sun Mar 11, 2012, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

Ignoring the commentary, what differences do you see (if any) between the calls in question on both ends of the floor?

Last edited by fiasco; Sun Mar 11, 2012 at 10:05am.
Old Sun Mar 11, 2012, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Unbelieveable!!! IMO
I'd be incline to side with you if there was a secondary defender entering the L's area. Can you tell me if there is one?

From what I see from the clip, the T has a "closed look" when the contact happens while the L has the best view with an "open look." If I'm the T, I'm gonna trust the L has the correct position to make the right decision. If I come in with a whistle after the no-call, chances are from my view as the T that I'd be guessing since the defender was moving backward playing defense before the contact happens.
Old Sun Mar 11, 2012, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I'm not sure I get this -- this decision is clearly in the L's primary and in the men's game I'd be shocked if they pregamed this as anything other than the L taking this all the way. Lead is king on these.

I've been in the same position on a play like this and it's not a trivial thing for the T to come all the way down there to grab that one.

Rich, The issue I have is. From my perspective we pass off the responsibility of plays which begins in our area. This is where the start, develop, finish comes into play. The official should mainitain it until the status of the play changes.
Old Sun Mar 11, 2012, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'd be incline to side with you if there was a secondary defender entering the L's area. Can you tell me if there is one?

From what I see from the clip, the T has a "closed look" when the contact happens while the L has the best view with an "open look." If I'm the T, I'm gonna trust the L has the correct position to make the right decision. If I come in with a whistle after the no-call, chances are from my view as the T that I'd be guessing since the defender was moving backward playing defense before the contact happens.
I cannot tell you that. If the T look is closed all he have to do is move his feet to maintain a positive look by stepping down towards the endline.

The L could also be thinking. I trust my T to stay with the play until the status change because it came from his area understanding the SDF concept.

For me, I stay with the play until the status change when it starts in my primary. I will also explain if questioned. The one thing I will not due is say a the L better "Man up" explain it.
Old Sun Mar 11, 2012, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I cannot tell you that. If the T look is closed all he have to do is move his feet to maintain a positive look by stepping down towards the endline.

The L could also be thinking. I trust my T to stay with the play until the status change because it came from his area understanding the SDF concept.

For me, I stay with the play until the status change when it starts in my primary. I will also explain if questioned. The one thing I will not due is say a the L better "Man up" explain it.
The T does step-down (from the the first C to the second C on the ACC logo) but not enough. If anything, because he stepped down, his look became even more closed because the players moved in the same direction. I agree a step-down could help but he would need to go down to the FT line extended to see the play and with the speed of the play and the direction of the players, that just wasn't going to happen. The T could stay connected all he wants on this play, but from his position adjustment, he ended up looking through the UNC player's back when the contact happened.

The L, on the drive, widens out to get an open look the drive, which IMO, has the best look for a decision.

The term "man-up" is a term my conference supervisor used recently at our conference tournament. His philosophy is that the crew is a "team" with individual responsibilities. In a semi-final game, the crew should realize that each member is there because they can handle their business in their PCA and they can trust each other to make the right decision. If a high impact play happens in your PCA, you will have to "man-up" and explain your decision.

On this play, I can live with the L making a call or no call because I trust him. As long as he was in proper position to do so, which IMO, he was.
Old Sun Mar 11, 2012, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

What about the C ??

Does anyone else think that C was in great position to get a look at this play? I know it's outside his PCA, but if you look at the video, he may have had the best angle of anyone on the crew. We always say we should stay in our own PCA unless it's an obvious foul or a game decider; in my opinion, this play was both.
Old Sun Mar 11, 2012, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The T does step-down (from the the first C to the second C on the ACC logo) but not enough. If anything, because he stepped down, his look became even more closed because the players moved in the same direction. I agree a step-down could help but he would need to go down to the FT line extended to see the play and with the speed of the play and the direction of the players, that just wasn't going to happen. The T could stay connected all he wants on this play, but from his position adjustment, he ended up looking through the UNC player's back when the contact happened.

The L, on the drive, widens out to get an open look the drive, which IMO, has the best look for a decision.

The term "man-up" is a term my conference supervisor used recently at our conference tournament. His philosophy is that the crew is a "team" with individual responsibilities. In a semi-final game, the crew should realize that each member is there because they can handle their business in their PCA and they can trust each other to make the right decision. If a high impact play happens in your PCA, you will have to "man-up" and explain your decision.

On this play, I can live with the L making a call or no call because I trust him. As long as he was in proper position to do so, which IMO, he was.
Ok, I can live with that. I concur with you sir an official should be able to handle their business in their PCA. The only opposition would be if the play developed outside his PCA but finished in his PCA. I would trust the official whom area it came from take it and live with the call or no call.

My opposition was to your position that if an evaluator came in and question the play the L better "man up" and explain it. It should, IMO come from the person who the play originated from.
Old Sun Mar 11, 2012, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jearef View Post
Does anyone else think that C was in great position to get a look at this play? I know it's outside his PCA, but if you look at the video, he may have had the best angle of anyone on the crew. We always say we should stay in our own PCA unless it's an obvious foul or a game decider; in my opinion, this play was both.
Good question, the C did have the better look and IMO should have extended over since majority of the action(players) were strong side.