The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 08, 2012, 03:39pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpirtle View Post
Bainsy, I could be wrong...but I believe what you are describing is a game that you have been temporarily placed in...but your Assignor is not ready to release it yet. It's like keeping your finger on a chess piece until you determine if that's what you really want to do. In other words, the game has not been assigned to you yet...and so it is not a "Pending" assignment.
Actually, that describes it pretty well, and in Arbiter, it is indeed listed as a "Pending Assignment." They appear as light blue in your calendar, but not on your schedule.

Take another look at the Blocks tab, and see the legend to the left of the calendar.
Old Thu Mar 08, 2012, 03:41pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
One cool feature of the Arbiter that we use. My Catholic middle school assigner can "see" my Arbiter high school assignments which allows him to avoid schedule conflicts. My high school assigner cannot see my Catholic middle school assignments.
This is something that is under the offcial's control. I have 4 supervisors. One on top, 2 equals in the middle, and one at bottom of my priority list.

I don't allow my top assignor to see my 3 other schedules b/c I will take his games regardless of previous committments and I always want him to see a clear backdrop on my calendar to show I'm available to work any of his games. My other 3 supervisors have policies in place that allow us to turn back accepted games for certain higher level games. The middle 2 only ask that they get a courtesy call from the supervisor who is "stealing" us. My #4 supervisor trusts that we are being honest and just asks for as much prior notification as possible.

My AAU, Summer Pro-Am, and military intra-murals don't use Arbiter so it's not a concern with them. They just ask for my availability.
Old Thu Mar 08, 2012, 03:54pm
Esteemed Forum Member

In My Little Corner Of Connecticut ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by truerookie View Post
My assignor gets an assignment fee of $1.50 per game assigned. He assigns around 7000 games a year with 400 members. Do the math. He is appointed by the Executive board to perform these duties.
Our assigning commissioner gets an annual salary: $26,250.00. He assigns games for about 70 high schools (boys, girls, freshman, junior varsity, varsity) and many middle schools. We have 325 members.

We also have two assistant assignment commissioners, one getting $2000.00 and the other getting $500.00. They assign scrimmages, Special Olympics, and AAU tournaments.

Our 7% "assignment fee" goes directly to our local board, not to the assignment commissioner.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Mar 08, 2012, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

From the other side............

Bainsey ( and the rest of the gang) - I have assigned for the last 7 years using the arbiter. Thought I could answer some of the questions out here.
The pending feature is the assigner's way of "locking you in" on that date.
Other assigner's can't give you game on that date, if you work for more than
one guy.

As far as turnbacks, in my group everybody gets two freebies, but after that any other turnback costs $8, which is the assigning fee I charge the schools.
If you keep your availabilty up to date, you shouldn't have any turnbacks.

I know this will get some people upset, but it makes the membership accountable.

Peace my bros...........
Old Thu Mar 08, 2012, 04:13pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by truerookie View Post
My assignor gets an assignment fee of $1.50 per game assigned. He assigns around 7000 games a year with 400 members. Do the math.
400 members is extraneous.

$1.50 x 7,000 = $10,500 per season.
Old Thu Mar 08, 2012, 04:13pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiple Sports View Post
...If you keep your availabilty up to date, you shouldn't have any turnbacks.

I know this will get some people upset, but it makes the membership accountable.

Peace my bros...........
I had an assignor get upset b/c my job hit me with a business trip (TDY for military folks) even though I gave the assignor over 1 week's notice that I had to give the game back.

To say turnbacks won't happen if you keep your availability up-to-date is a mis-guided thought process.

Last edited by Raymond; Thu Mar 08, 2012 at 04:18pm.
Old Thu Mar 08, 2012, 04:16pm
Huck Finn

Multiple, how do you keep track of the two turnbacks? If this is something you have to do manually that would be a pain in the neck.
Old Thu Mar 08, 2012, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I had an assignor get upset b/c my job hit me with a business trip (TDY for military folks) even though I gave the assignor over 1 week's notice that I have to give the game back.

To say turnbacks won't happen if you keep your availability up-to-date is a mis-guided thought process.
BNR - can't argue that. The irony is that I assign in the same county as a military base and I get TDY all the time. I give those guys ALWAYS the benefit of the doubt, as I know that those trips sometimes come up on 24 notice
Old Thu Mar 08, 2012, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
400 members is extraneous.

I stand corrected. 1.50 per official assigned a game.
Old Thu Mar 08, 2012, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
Multiple, how do you keep track of the two turnbacks? If this is something you have to do manually that would be a pain in the neck.
Tome -

There is a feature in the arbiter that allows the assigner to print a report of your tbs........it will state state date / time / as well as the explanation that you put in for turning back game. I can pull it up and then print it out if neccessary. I do have to send a copy of it to the executive board if I am fining guys.....
Old Thu Mar 08, 2012, 05:18pm
Do not give a damn!!

No they do not. They are not in an authority to do that. All they can do is take away games they have already assigned us. The state however can fine us for not fulfilling contracts with the schools. The assignors have facilitated that as they work for the conferences, but they have no authority to make us pay anything if we choose not to. The state can fine us and can take away our license.

Peace
Old Thu Mar 08, 2012, 05:18pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Ciphering ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
$1.50 Per Game Assigned x 7,000 Games x Two Officials Per Game (At Least) = $21,000 (At Least) per season.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Mar 11, 2012 at 09:07am.
Old Thu Mar 08, 2012, 05:41pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiple Sports View Post
The pending feature is the assigner's way of "locking you in" on that date. Other assigner's can't give you game on that date, if you work for more than one guy.
Thanks for that insight, MS.

Here's my motivation for starting this thread. As some here know, I was out for a week with an achilles injury. I alerted my assigner right away to block out that week. I had no assignments during that week.

Instead, I had three pending games that week. Pending, of course, is defined as "while awaiting.... remaining undecided." In other words, pending games are not assignments.

My assigner is attempting to see it differently, and wants to fine me for these three dates I never nor committed to, nor refused.
Old Thu Mar 08, 2012, 06:38pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

We have the option to accept or decline assignments in all our arbiter groups. Declining is discouraged, but sometimes stuff happens. I've had to decline two games this year, one because of a family emergency where I forgot to update arbiter as we packed to drive to Iowa, and one because I'm not in the habit of updating Arbiter past February. I had to turn back two games for the same Iowa trip, but the fine was waived.
Old Thu Mar 08, 2012, 08:06pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
Thanks for that insight, MS.

Here's my motivation for starting this thread. As some here know, I was out for a week with an achilles injury. I alerted my assigner right away to block out that week. I had no assignments during that week.

Instead, I had three pending games that week. Pending, of course, is defined as "while awaiting.... remaining undecided." In other words, pending games are not assignments.

My assigner is attempting to see it differently, and wants to fine me for these three dates I never nor committed to, nor refused.
The assignor is out of line, pure and simple. You were injured and unless you worked games for someone else during that same time-frame he has no grounds to attempt to fine you.