The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 08, 2012, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Continuation? (Video Needed)

(hopefully APG can post/embed the video so we can discuss) Illinois v Iowa on Big Ten Network

11:00 left in 2nd half (it was 11:44am CT) - ILL guard drives to basket, gathers ball, fouled, takes two steps, lays the ball in. Mike Kitts calls the foul and waves off the basket.

imho, basket should have counted.

Even announcer Gus Johnson says: "we need to get continuation into the college game"....

Once you see the video, what do you think.
Old Thu Mar 08, 2012, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Did he travel?

So I'm asking was there a foul, then a travel, which would have negated the continuation.
Old Thu Mar 08, 2012, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toren View Post
Did he travel?

So I'm asking was there a foul, then a travel, which would have negated the continuation.
nope. gather, foul, 2 steps (which you are allowed by rule), lay up.
Old Thu Mar 08, 2012, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Did he travel?

Still would have put the player on the line though...so if they didn't shot two shots, then the official determined (maybe incorrectly according to twocents) that the foul occurred before the player was in the act of shooting.

As to the play in question, I'll see if I can get it up later tonight/tomorrow morning.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Mar 08, 2012, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Did he travel?

Even if it happened as you described, its still a foul in the act of shooting. If he travels after the fact then the basket doesn't count (if made) but the travel shouldn't negate the FTs due.
Old Thu Mar 08, 2012, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

the reason why this play REALLY sucks for Illinois?.....they had to inbound the ball under their own basket, promptly had the inbounds pass stolen by Iowa, and Iowa got a quick two on the other end....

not for nothing, but after making the poor decision to wave off the basket, Mike Kitts got beaten in the ensuing transition play, and promptly called goaltending on Illinois... AS THE NEW LEAD ON THE FASTBREAK!!!!

ouch!
Old Thu Mar 08, 2012, 01:16pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I saw it live and thought it should've counted. Then again, I tend to get coaches complaining that "this isn't the NBA" every few games.
Old Thu Mar 08, 2012, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Still would have put the player on the line though...so if they didn't shot two shots, then the official determined (maybe incorrectly according to twocents) that the foul occurred before the player was in the act of shooting.

As to the play in question, I'll see if I can get it up later tonight/tomorrow morning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
Even if it happened as you described, its still a foul in the act of shooting. If he travels after the fact then the basket doesn't count (if made) but the travel shouldn't negate the FTs due.
Correct.

I didn't mean to insinuate that the ball would then be put on the endline.

From what I've read I don't think I was visualizing the play and the subsequent throw in correctly. I was picturing a play then some free throws.
Old Thu Mar 08, 2012, 01:26pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocentsworth View Post
nope. gather, foul, 2 steps (which you are allowed by rule), lay up.
That's not the rule.
Old Thu Mar 08, 2012, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
That's not the rule.
Yeah but 2 steps is much easier to say than he moved his feet within the parameters of the prescribed limits while holding the ball.
Old Thu Mar 08, 2012, 01:44pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
Yeah but 2 steps is much easier to say than he moved his feet within the parameters of the prescribed limits while holding the ball.
The problem is, two steps isn't accurate and can be a travel. If you have to answer a question, just say he picked up his pivot and put it back down. Or that his pivot never came back down.
Old Thu Mar 08, 2012, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
The problem is, two steps isn't accurate and can be a travel. If you have to answer a question, just say he picked up his pivot and put it back down. Or that his pivot never came back down.
I actually stopped answering questions about travels this year, instead I redirect the convo by asking the coach which foot did he think was the pivot? When he cannot answer I say its tough to adjudicate the travel without knowledge of the pivot foot. And that's where the pushback stops.
Old Thu Mar 08, 2012, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

you think Illinois would've like to have had those 3pts from earlier in the game?

they missed a contested 3 in the last 5 seconds to lose to Iowa by......yep, you guessed it.....3pts.......

(BEFORE everyone starts putting words into my post - the refs didn't cost them the game - they had plenty of chances and blew it!)

i'm just sayin'.....
Old Thu Mar 08, 2012, 08:56pm
I got a Basketball Jones!

Quote:
you think Illinois would've like to have had those 3pts from earlier in the game?

they missed a contested 3 in the last 5 seconds to lose to Iowa by......yep, you guessed it.....3pts.......

(BEFORE everyone starts putting words into my post - the refs didn't cost them the game - they had plenty of chances and blew it!)

i'm just sayin'.....
Have you morphed into your fanboy persona now that your officiating season is done?
Old Thu Mar 08, 2012, 09:18pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
(hopefully APG can post/embed the video so we can discuss) Illinois v Iowa on Big Ten Network
Or he can give us the instuctions on how to do it ourselves otherwise he's going to be really busy in March.

I know how to embed a video that's already on YouTube but I don't know how to grab videos from other sites and post them on YouTube nor do I know how to "clip" them.

Last edited by Raymond; Thu Mar 08, 2012 at 09:20pm.