The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   loose ball in backcourt (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/89783-loose-ball-backcourt.html)

Stat-Man Sun Mar 11, 2012 06:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IUgrad92 (Post 830530)
Exactly.... For example, "Coach, the clock was at 5:50 when you inbounded the ball, the clock is now at 5:34 and the ball still has backcourt status, with no change in team control." Put that in your video and smoke it......

Another tip RSL, get the time from the GAME CLOCK on change in possession. That is all you need to resolve 10-second violations, shot clock discrepencies, etc.

I don't think one can do this in NCAA -- and possibly NF either. (I recall a past NCAA interprtation that specifically stated an official's error in counting seconds could not be resolved by time elapsed on the game clock, unless a new interpretation has been issued in recent years).

JetMetFan Sun Mar 11, 2012 07:51pm

NCAA ten-second A.R.

A.R. 225. (Men) The game clock indicates that 1:13 is left in the second half when Team A makes a throw-in after a charged timeout. Team A is charged with a 10-second back-court violation, but the game clock shows that only eight seconds were used. The official timer indicates that the game clock started when the throw-in was touched by a player on the playing court.

RULING: Violation. Team B shall be awarded a throw-in at a designated spot nearest to where the violation occurred. Rule 2-12 does not provide for the correction of an error made in the referee’s counting of seconds.

(Rule 9-10 and 7-5.1)

Nevadaref Mon Mar 12, 2012 07:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stat-Man (Post 831341)
I don't think one can do this in NCAA -- and possibly NF either. (I recall a past NCAA interprtation that specifically stated an official's error in counting seconds could not be resolved by time elapsed on the game clock, unless a new interpretation has been issued in recent years).

Correct. I'm astounded by the number of officials in this thread recommending to use the game or shot clocks. The official must count!
That is not to say that one can't use the clocks to help guide your count and increase its accuracy, but an official can't just go by what is on the clocks without a physical count. That's not allowed by rule.

5.10.1 SITUATION B:
Team A leads by one point when they inbound the ball in

their backcourt with 12 seconds remaining in the fourth quarter. A1's throw-in
pass is to A2 who dribbles in the backcourt until the horn sounds. The trail official
does not make a 10-second call because he/she "lost the count."

RULING: The

game is over. The clock may not be reset as there are no rule provisions to do
this. If the count was not accurate or was not made, it cannot be corrected. There
is no provision for the correction of an error made in the official's accuracy in

counting seconds.