Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 04, 2012, 04:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
Okay, so as the R on the game I'm not wrong for:

1. Expecting the crew to stick to the pregame?

2. Holding up the C (U2) from going to the table?

3. Making sure I know what we have before proceeding?

Couldn't believe they said by doing those things I created a game interrupter!
Had we stuck to the script it would've been much smoother.

I gave the C my toss to create a team atmosphere as he was the vet & I can tell he doesnt appreciate not being the R when we work together.
My pregame was stomped on by the C & many officials in the stands have said it looked as though the C was trying to take over the game well before that situation came up.

I work with the T again on Saturday & that's cool, but I dont know how to move forward with the C. he obviously doesnt respect what I do or he just says whether I'm the R or not, I'm running this game.
Thoughts?
Here's my two cents worth of advice...

1. THE RULES state that the R is the official who corrects a timing mistake. NFHS references are 2-5-5 and 5-10-1. Part of my pregame is that if we are going to change anything with the clock or scoring, then the R needs to be involved. Cuts out a great deal of hassle. Add this comment when you are the R and you will never find yourself in such a situation again.

2. If you wish to be kind and cater to a vet by delagating that is cool, but I have to question doing so for one whom you know has an attitude issue. I have no problem having a senior partner be the R for a contest, even if I got scheduled for it. However, I would only do this for a partner whom I respect, know that he respects me, and whom I believe has the proper attitude. For the cranky, old vet who doesn't think that I am worthy of being the R, I'm damn sure going to be the R. Here's why: In 15 years of doing this, I've found that with these folks you don't gain their respect by sitting back and letting them do everything. That only feeds their mistaken perception of you. You need to be strong and take care of business. Then when you do, you need to do it right.

3. You need to stand up to the guy who was the C on this. You can do that without being an @ss or disrespectful, but you need to be firm. You cannot continue to allow a partner to lack respect for you on the court or in the lockerroom. It makes you look poor and the crew look poor. It's really that simple.