The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 27, 2012, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

shoe laces

NFHS

A1 has the ball in the backcourt and is slowly advancing to the frontcourt. As A1 crosses the division line, I notice B2 kneeling down to tie a shoe near A's basket. As trail I blow my whistle, let B2 tie the shoe and have team A inbound the ball near the division line. Partner says I should not have stopped play. Is he right? Rules reference always appreciated?
Old Mon Feb 27, 2012, 04:03pm
Courageous When Prudent

You won't find a rules reference.
Old Mon Feb 27, 2012, 04:06pm
Do not give a damn!!

No you will not find a rules reference and your partner was right.

Peace
Old Mon Feb 27, 2012, 04:07pm
I miss being on the floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by phansen View Post
NFHS

A1 has the ball in the backcourt and is slowly advancing to the frontcourt. As A1 crosses the division line, I notice B2 kneeling down to tie a shoe near A's basket. As trail I blow my whistle, let B2 tie the shoe and have team A inbound the ball near the division line. Partner says I should not have stopped play. Is he right? Rules reference always appreciated?
A lot of people will tell you that your partner is correct. I've always had the opinion, though, that if the game can be stopped at a point where nothing is happening (A1 slowly walking the ball up the floor or standing and dribbling in the frontcourt), stop the game and prevent any injury.

But if Team A is into their offense, I wouldn't stop play. Use your best judgement about this. It's why we get paid mucho dinero.
Old Mon Feb 27, 2012, 04:08pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

In ms, I'll delay a throw in. But I won't stop play. In high school, they need to know how to tie a knot.

If you don't believe your partner, check with your assigner.
Old Mon Feb 27, 2012, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

What do you do with the player that does not tie his shoes and stuffs the laces in the shoe and one of the shoes comes off every other trip down the floor.
Old Mon Feb 27, 2012, 04:16pm
I miss being on the floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlingref View Post
What do you do with the player that does not tie his shoes and stuffs the laces in the shoe and one of the shoes comes off every other trip down the floor.
I'd tell him to tie his shoes or get off the floor.
Old Mon Feb 27, 2012, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Nothing...he can either ask for a timeout or hold his team up while he puts his shoe back on. If play is stopped for some other reason, and the shoe is off/shoelaces untied, that would be the only time I would hold up play.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Ignore it, let him get beat. I'm not his coach.
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
When they cannot participate in the game because they are fumbling with their shoe, I would think a coach will take them out of the game or they will learn to tie a knot.

Peace
Old Mon Feb 27, 2012, 04:23pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by phansen View Post
NFHS

Phansen:

You will not find a rule reference but your partner was correct.

Prior to the 1963-64 season, National Basketball Committee of the United States and Canada (NBCUSC) Rules (note: The NBCUSC was the basketball rules writing body for boys'/girls' high school and men's college prior to being split into the NFHS and NCAA Men's Rules Committees in the late 1970's.) allowed game officials to stop the game or to prevent a Dead Ball (DB) from becoming a Live Ball (LB) so that a player could tie his/her shoe. Starting with the 1963-64 season this provision was intentionally deleted from Rule 2. The Rules Committee, in an editorial comment, stated that the provision was deleted because the Committee did not want officials to stop the game or delay a DB from becoming LB so that a player could tie his/her shoe. The effect of this rule change is that officials by rule cannot stop the game or delay a DB from becoming LB so that a player can tie his/her shoe.

If one goes to the current NFHS Basketball Handbook and go to the chapter on the history of the rules changes, one will see the change listed in 1964. This rules change is still valid for both NFHS and NCAA Men's/Women's Rules.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Feb 27, 2012, 05:10pm
Get away from me, Steve.

You'll notice that the rule for stopping play includes eyeglasses or lenses. If they wanted us to stop games for tying shoes, it would be written in the rules -- it's not an uncommon occurrence.

I had a partner stop a varsity game earlier this season and when he asked for feedback, I made sure I included that.
Old Mon Feb 27, 2012, 05:22pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
You'll notice that the rule for stopping play includes eyeglasses or lenses. If they wanted us to stop games for tying shoes, it would be written in the rules -- it's not an uncommon occurrence.

I had a partner stop a varsity game earlier this season and when he asked for feedback, I made sure I included that.
Had a partner stop a game last week for a hung net. He asked for feedback, and I forgot to mention it.
Old Mon Feb 27, 2012, 05:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Had a partner stop a game last week for a hung net. He asked for feedback, and I forgot to mention it.
Wait, are you saying we don't stop the game for a hung net? I have always been taught to stop the game and fix it. Was this ever a rule to stop the game? Where does this rational come from?

(Sorry if this becomes a thread hijack.)
Old Mon Feb 27, 2012, 05:43pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMac View Post
Wait, are you saying we don't stop the game for a hung net? I have always been taught to stop the game and fix it. Was this ever a rule to stop the game? Where does this rational come from?

(Sorry if this becomes a thread hijack.)
You may do it the first time it happens. You might even do it the second time it happens. But if you keep doing that, then it is not your issue. BTW, the NF gave an interpretation about this a few years ago and said that you should not spend the entire game fixing the net no more than you should stop play to get a shoe tied.

Peace