The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 27, 2012, 05:52pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
In ms, I'll delay a throw in. But I won't stop play. In high school, they need to know how to tie a knot.
There it is.

Twice, I've been asked by a coach to stop play for an untied shoe. Both found it ridiculous that I wouldn't.

I can only deduce from this that others around me are doing so. I just don't agree. Tie your shoes, or play at your own risk.

I find it interesting that we require substitutions for untucked shirts (something we don't enforce for off-season games not assigned by our board), then perhaps we should also consider it for untied shoes.
Old Mon Feb 27, 2012, 05:55pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
There it is.

Twice, I've been asked by a coach to stop play for an untied shoe. Both found it ridiculous that I wouldn't.

I can only deduce from this that others around me are doing so. I just don't agree. Tie your shoes, or play at your own risk.

I find it interesting that we require substitutions for untucked shirts (something we don't enforce for off-season games not assigned by our board), then perhaps we should also consider it for untied shoes.
I can tell you I'd do that before I stop the game. This one polices itself, though, once you refuse to stop the game.
Old Mon Feb 27, 2012, 06:07pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Catchy Tune, Pink Shoe Laces ...

Please don't delete this. If any of you guys choose to open this link, I guarantee that you'll be humming this song all night long, and maybe you'll wake up humming it tomorrow morning.

Dodie Stevens - Tan Shoes and Pink Shoelaces (Live) - YouTube
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Feb 27, 2012, 06:16pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
There it is.

I had a JV Coach ask me to stop play for his kid's untied shoe...guy actually said "Hey, we need a ref's timeout for him to tie his shoe!"

Blew the whistle, and then asked him if he wanted a full or 30.

Kid's shoe was not a problem the rest of that game.
Old Mon Feb 27, 2012, 06:19pm
Do not give a damn!!

Billy

REALLY????

Peace
Old Mon Feb 27, 2012, 06:21pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
REALLY????

Peace
I was shocked!
Old Mon Feb 27, 2012, 06:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMac View Post
Wait, are you saying we don't stop the game for a hung net? I have always been taught to stop the game and fix it. Was this ever a rule to stop the game? Where does this rational come from?

(Sorry if this becomes a thread hijack.)
I do....the net is not in its required position, according to rule 1-10-1, if it is hung up on the rim. And everyone I've ever worked with around here does the same.
Old Mon Feb 27, 2012, 07:28pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I do....the net is not in its required position, according to rule 1-10-1, if it is hung up on the rim. And everyone I've ever worked with around here does the same.
I could be off base, but I wait for the next legit whistle.
Old Mon Feb 27, 2012, 07:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I could be off base, but I wait for the next legit whistle.
I don't think it is fair for a team to have to shoot into a basket where the net might be obstructing the entrance to the basket.
Old Mon Feb 27, 2012, 08:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I don't think it is fair for a team to have to shoot into a basket where the net might be obstructing the entrance to the basket.
That's the issue: if a team shoots into that basket and the ball bounces out because the net is all messed up, that team loses 2 or 3 points since a goal doesn't count unless the ball passes through the net. Better to take care of it right when it happens.
Old Mon Feb 27, 2012, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
That's the issue: if a team shoots into that basket and the ball bounces out because the net is all messed up, that team loses 2 or 3 points since a goal doesn't count unless the ball passes through the net. Better to take care of it right when it happens.
Have you ever seen that happen? Ever? Game? Warm-ups? Practice?

I've never seen it, while I have seen the ball actually go through and "un-stick" a stuck net many times.

I've been taught to never stop the game for a net because it gives the team that just scored the advantage of setting up their defense because you've stopped the game at that point. And that would happen far more times than the ball coming back out. In many of my games, while the game goes to the other end of the court, someone runs over and takes care of it. Or, there is a stoppage of play before the ball gets back to that end.

I agree, it would be a real shame if the ball ever did come back out as a result. And, thanks a lot, now it will probably happen to me.

(Used with permission.)
Old Mon Feb 27, 2012, 09:09pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by m&m guy View Post
i've been taught to never stop the game for a net.....
+1
Old Mon Feb 27, 2012, 11:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy View Post
Have you ever seen that happen? Ever? Game? Warm-ups? Practice?

I've never seen it, while I have seen the ball actually go through and "un-stick" a stuck net many times.

I've been taught to never stop the game for a net because it gives the team that just scored the advantage of setting up their defense because you've stopped the game at that point. And that would happen far more times than the ball coming back out. In many of my games, while the game goes to the other end of the court, someone runs over and takes care of it. Or, there is a stoppage of play before the ball gets back to that end.

I agree, it would be a real shame if the ball ever did come back out as a result. And, thanks a lot, now it will probably happen to me.
Yes, I've seen it. It was hung up so much that no ball was going to get through. It took a ladder to get up there and unhook it. Even a roller would be affected by the bumping the twine that is laying across the top of the rim...it may make a shot go in that would not have or it may make a shot miss that would have gone it.

The team doesn't make the net get hung up, so any advantage they get is just a part of the game. And most of the time, the other team isn't pushing the tempo while they are wanting to press anyway so stopping it has no effect at all.
Old Tue Feb 28, 2012, 07:06am
Esteemed Forum Member

All Night Long ...

Quote:
REALLY????
Is the song stuck in your head?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Tue Feb 28, 2012, 07:11am
Esteemed Forum Member

Anybody Got A Citation ???

Quote:
You may do it the first time it happens. You might even do it the second time it happens. But if you keep doing that, then it is not your issue. The NF gave an interpretation about this a few years ago and said that you should not spend the entire game fixing the net.
Agree. C'mon Nevadaref. Now go do that voodoo that you do so well.