The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 27, 2012, 10:18am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame99 View Post
while they are checking that replay to see if it was an F1, can they call the T for the flop?? It didn't look like the L or C had anything, so this call came from T??
If you are talking about this second play, the Lead called the foul on UVA's Scott. You can see him pointing to the endline to indicate where the spot throw-in will occur. He didn't use the fist mechanic to indicate a foul. And looking at Scott's reaction I don't think he is surprised that a foul was called against him. Hard to tell from the angles provided how solid his contact was with Henson. I do think though that Henson should have been whistled for a foul first for pushing Scott in the back.

Last edited by Raymond; Mon Feb 27, 2012 at 10:24am.
Old Mon Feb 27, 2012, 10:24am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
If you are talking about this second play, the Lead called the foul on UVA's Scott. You can see him pointing to the endline to indicate where the spot throw-in will occur. He didn't use the fist mechanic to indicate a foul.
It's such an ingrained habit to come up with a fist for me on all but obvious PC fouls in my primary that I can't imagine simply blowing a whistle and pointing to the floor like this official did. This is the kind of mechanic we normally see from a rookie official who isn't used to calling fouls.
Old Mon Feb 27, 2012, 10:28am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
If you are talking about this second play, the Lead called the foul on UVA's Scott. You can see him pointing to the endline to indicate where the spot throw-in will occur. He didn't use the fist mechanic to indicate a foul. And looking at Scott's reaction I don't think he is surprised that a foul was called against him. Hard to tell from the angles provided how solid his contact was with Henson. I do think though that Henson should have been whistled for a foul first for pushing Scott in the back.
Looks like the C was slow in getting down to the free throw line extended. If he had been there when the shot went up I think he would have caught Henson's push in the back

Last edited by Raymond; Mon Feb 27, 2012 at 04:59pm.
Old Mon Feb 27, 2012, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
It's such an ingrained habit to come up with a fist for me on all but obvious PC fouls in my primary that I can't imagine simply blowing a whistle and pointing to the floor like this official did. This is the kind of mechanic we normally see from a rookie official who isn't used to calling fouls.
That was why I didn't even notice he had made the call. He must have just blown the whistle and stared at them. No wonder the player looked confused. No fist in the air, no signal, just a stare and a point at the endline. I guess it just increases the drama waitng for him to report so we can all know what the call is!!
Old Mon Feb 27, 2012, 05:02pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
That was why I didn't even notice he had made the call. He must have just blown the whistle and stared at them. No wonder the player looked confused. No fist in the air, no signal, just a stare and a point at the endline. I guess it just increases the drama waitng for him to report so we can all know what the call is!!
If the call were going the other way I'm 100% sure he would have pointed up the court. Poor mechanics on this, yes, but no confusion as to which way the ball was going.
Old Mon Feb 27, 2012, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

Can't really tell from video what exactly happened but looks like very poor mechanics by lead. Doesn't help his case trying to sell the call by any means.
Old Mon Feb 27, 2012, 05:11pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
I knew what the call was -- the point to the floor told me we were "staying there." It just doesn't sell the call well.
Old Mon Feb 27, 2012, 06:36pm
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I knew what the call was -- the point to the floor told me we were "staying there." It just doesn't sell the call well.
Doesn't the ball get thrown in at the same spot no matter which team will be inbounding it?
Old Mon Feb 27, 2012, 06:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
Doesn't the ball get thrown in at the same spot no matter which team will be inbounding it?
Sure, but if the ball was going the other way, you would have most likely seen the official point going the other way, rather than point to the floor.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Feb 27, 2012, 06:45pm
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Sure, but if the ball was going the other way, you would have most likely seen the official point going the other way, rather than point to the floor.
Sure, that's why I agree with everyone else on the poor mechanics.