The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 23, 2012, 04:27pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
... Now I see why they choose to speak about it in PMs instead of publicly. When I post these things all Im doing is sharing million dollar info for free.
Like most info, we take it or leave it...
I know guys who work for George Tolliver and I know guys who work for Donnie Vaden. A fair amount of the posters here know a big-name or 2 or 3 who have given them valuable information that they have in turn passed on to the forum.

Nothing wrong with sharing information. Might want to take a look at your delivery. Most definitely should take a second look at name-dropping. Quite often it's not only the audience who minds, but the name you are dropping who does as well.

Last edited by Raymond; Thu Feb 23, 2012 at 04:32pm.
Old Thu Feb 23, 2012, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

No worries, I won't be sharing ANYthing here ANYmore. I'll let it slide down to the college ranks & then guys will buy in when the information finally makes it to the HS level in about a decade or so
You know, sorta like RSBQ is just now being talked about & accepted in HS but has been around for quite a few years.
Old Thu Feb 23, 2012, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
When I post these things all Im doing is sharing million dollar info for free.
Like most info, we take it or leave it...
...I'll take it, keep it coming!

(Doesn't mean I'll use everthing...but, I'm always open to different insights and/or a little healthy debate)

EDIT: BTW tref...I'm not a sprinter off the court, nor a slow walker off the court....more of a "brisk walker" off the court, unless situations dictate otherwise.
Richland, WA

Last edited by RookieDude; Thu Feb 23, 2012 at 04:42pm.
Old Thu Feb 23, 2012, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

One Thing that Hasn't been mentioned

No one's mentioned the final responsibility that the R has to do before leaving the floor and that is to finalize the book. Now this doesn't have to be a formal process but it does need to be done. You don't have to go to the table. You don't have to sign the book. This needs to be part of the R's pregame with the table. Let them know that you are leaving the court as soon as the game is over. If they have a problem with the book, they need to inform you. You might even say that I will look at the table and if I don't see you waving me over, then I'm out of there. Of course this is more important on a close game. At the conclusion of a blow out there's no need for this.
Old Thu Feb 23, 2012, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude View Post
...I'll take it, keep it coming!

(Doesn't mean I'll use everthing...but, I'm always open to different insights and/or a little healthy debate)

EDIT: BTW tref...I'm not a sprinter off the court, nor a slow walker off the court....more of a "brisk walker" off the court, unless situations dictate otherwise.
My man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwest View Post
No one's mentioned the final responsibility that the R has to do before leaving the floor and that is to finalize the book. Now this doesn't have to be a formal process but it does need to be done. You don't have to go to the table. You don't have to sign the book. This needs to be part of the R's pregame with the table. Let them know that you are leaving the court as soon as the game is over. If they have a problem with the book, they need to inform you. You might even say that I will look at the table and if I don't see you waving me over, then I'm out of there. Of course this is more important on a close game. At the conclusion of a blow out there's no need for this.
I tell them I'll give a thumbs up as I'm briskly WALKING by & if all is well I expect them to hit me back with the same.
Old Thu Feb 23, 2012, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

Personally it depends for me

If I'm on the far end of the court, I will give a quick step, even a jog, to catch up with my partners who are much closer to the exit.

If I'm closer to the door, then I walk to the exit and then look back and await my partner.

I use to walk towards my partners when I was closer to the door and then walk out as a crew, but my damn partners would walk faster than me and now I'm the dummy jogging to catch up with their quick steps
Old Thu Feb 23, 2012, 05:06pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
No worries, I won't be sharing ANYthing here ANYmore. I'll let it slide down to the college ranks & then guys will buy in when the information finally makes it to the HS level in about a decade or so
You know, sorta like RSBQ is just now being talked about & accepted in HS but has been around for quite a few years.
I guess everybody who is not in the NBA system or radar never has access to NBA information.

Yeah, always takes years for stuff to slide down from the NBA. ( redux) Nevermind that John Guthrie and Ronnie Nunn were best of friends. Or that NBA refs have been dual-hatted as NCAA conference supervisors. Or that D-League and WNBA officials also work college schedules and as observers at college and high school camps. Or that Joe Forte and Nolan Fine are regulars on the camp circuit. Or that an obscure NCAA official in the DC area is a valued evaluator for the NBA.

Nope, us peons working only NCAA and HS ball will never be enlightened to NBA wisdom unless we are on the tref's PM list.

Last edited by Raymond; Thu Feb 23, 2012 at 05:08pm.
Old Thu Feb 23, 2012, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

Really? I've seen others get bent outta shape here, but never YOU. Hell, I'm a peon too if thats the case. The thickest part of my schedule is HS!

Is the season still ongoing in VA?

BTW, you just dropped a ton of names... I hope they dont get upset
Old Thu Feb 23, 2012, 05:14pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
BTW, you just dropped a ton of names... I hope they dont get upset
Yeah, but not the name of the person who taught me how to leave the court.
Old Thu Feb 23, 2012, 05:16pm
Official Forum Member

True.
So are you still working or is it a burrito?
Old Thu Feb 23, 2012, 07:41pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Now I know you're not that thin skinned.

All I was going to say is that I was going to start taking a drink everytime I read a cliche from you. But if I did, between that, Billy's mythbuster photos, Mark's hot mom jokes, and MTD's State University of Ohio cheers, I'd be drunk every night.

I honestly doubt we look that different when leaving the court; as long as you don't head for the table or chase down the ball, we'll meet pretty quickly as we approach the door off the court.
Old Thu Feb 23, 2012, 07:57pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Who You Gonna Drink To ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
But if I did, between that, Billy's mythbuster photos, Mark's hot mom jokes, and MTD's State University of Ohio cheers, I'd be drunk every night.
Snaqwells: Say hello to your liver for me.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Feb 23, 2012, 08:49pm
Official Forum Member

I've had partners...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I'll be waiting for you at the door, partner. I'm not walking, but I'm also not leaving my partner alone on the court.
...who were so in love with performing for the table, they wind up retrieving the ball, walking it to the table, shaking hands with the folks there, and basically preening and waiting to lap up the compliments. Heck yes, these partners get left.

Having grown up in New York, I've been conditioned on how to walk with a purpose. So while I don't run, I walk with alacrity, trying to give off the vibe I'm 6' 7", mean as all get out, and have no problem stomping your brains out.

It seems to work.
Old Thu Feb 23, 2012, 09:32pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
True.
So are you still working or is it a burrito?
College game left. HS??? Good question.

Update: HS regional semi-final and final. After that I'm sure I'm done.

Last edited by Raymond; Thu Feb 23, 2012 at 11:29pm.
Old Thu Feb 23, 2012, 10:51pm
Official Forum Member

Richmond Bound?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
College game left. HS??? Good question.
Will I be seeing you in couple of weeks at the Seigel Center?