The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 23, 2012, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
Ummm no, sorry, never said it looked cowardly to fans just said it looks cowardly. #getitright

Could care less about being seen, well, unless its a camp setting.

Let me see, who shall I listen to Mr. George Tolliver or berserkBBK??
I'm confused who would see this as cowardly?
I'm sure Toliver did not say stay around on the court, and I know that's not what you mean. I just don't see the point to walk instead of jogging. A problem can happen quickly, and I want to be away as not to be a target to the problem.
Old Thu Feb 23, 2012, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleringer View Post
We had some discussion about this sort of action in my area over the last couple of seasons. It is my opinion, that if the T will not be shot and will not change the outcome of the game, assessing it is meaningless. In the OP, I'd say either ignore the coach or eject him, in this case it sounds like the coach earned an ejection. Having a T in the book carries no penalty and will be a joke to the coach.
Depends - a lot of areas track T's on coaches, so this one might matter in the long run. Besides - your authority is not over until you're gone. While I personally would have been gone LONG before this happened, if for some reason I was stuck on the court and someone does something T-worthy, they are getting one. Ditto ejections in baseball/softball (and yes, I HAVE ejected a coach after a game was over).

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Feb 23, 2012, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Ummm no, sorry, never said it looked cowardly to fans just said it looks cowardly. #getitright
To whom then? It's fine if you're told in your area not to run off the court. In every area I've worked in, I want to get off the court as quickly as possible so I don't have to call one of those unnecessary post-game T's when someone decided to say something as I'm leisurely strolling off the court. Why invite a fan from the student section to get in your face as you stroll off the court? I work in a big metro area - I don't want to be on the news as that ref who was blindsided by an angry parent. If that makes me a coward to you, I really don't care.
Old Thu Feb 23, 2012, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
When I work in the NBA (with the amount of security they have), I'll walk proudly off the court. Until then, I'll jog off the court the same way, every time.
I hear ya Rich, thats why I said (in post #24) to each his or her own...

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkBBK View Post
I'm confused who would see this as cowardly?
I'm sure Toliver did not say stay around on the court, and I know that's not what you mean. I just don't see the point to walk instead of jogging. A problem can happen quickly, and I want to be away as not to be a target to the problem.
I can dig it, everyone has to do whats best for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
To whom then? It's fine if you're told in your area not to run off the court. In every area I've worked in, I want to get off the court as quickly as possible so I don't have to call one of those unnecessary post-game T's when someone decided to say something as I'm leisurely strolling off the court. Why invite a fan from the student section to get in your face as you stroll off the court? I work in a big metro area - I don't want to be on the news as that ref who was blindsided by an angry parent. If that makes me a coward to you, I really don't care.
Smitty!! You're putting words in my mouth, nobody is strolling or leisurely... walking with a purpose. Never called anybody a coward, I got love for all Forum members just said it looked cowardly.

You guys do whats best for you, I was just sharing another perspective on our exit of the court.

FTR, all the places I work have one parking lot & if they wanna get ya... they'll wait for you. Then & only then will I run. If they follow me they better not let me make it to the trunk.

#keylessentry

Last edited by tref; Thu Feb 23, 2012 at 02:11pm.
Old Thu Feb 23, 2012, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Never called anybody a coward, I got love for all Forum members just said it looked cowardly.
Explain the difference...

Quote:
You guys do whats best for you, I was just sharing another perspective on our exit of the court.

FTR, all the places I work have one parking lot & if they wanna get ya... they'll wait for you. Then & only then will I run. If they follow me they better not let me make it to the trunk.
Dude, you don't get it. In the heat of the moment at the end of the game people still may not have control of their emotions. After the time for me to dress and get out to the parking lot, cooler heads will prevail - plus I'm walking out the side or back door if there is one. If someone is waiting for me in the parking lot, that's a whole other issue.
Old Thu Feb 23, 2012, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
Dude, you don't get it. In the heat of the moment at the end of the game people still may not have control of their emotions. After the time for me to dress and get out to the parking lot, cooler heads will prevail - plus I'm walking out the side or back door if there is one. If someone is waiting for me in the parking lot, that's a whole other issue.
We wil have to agree to disagree on this one. In post 15 I clearly said:

Quote:
If its not a heated EOG situation with fans rushing the court & I'm not embarassed by the job I just did, then I'm proudly walking off the court.
Reading is FUNdamental! And I'm done with this. You guys do whats best for you & I'll do whats best for me.
Old Thu Feb 23, 2012, 02:30pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
You guys do whats best for you & I'll do whats best for me.
I'll be waiting for you at the door, partner. I'm not walking, but I'm also not leaving my partner alone on the court.
Old Thu Feb 23, 2012, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Smitty!! You're putting words in my mouth, nobody is strolling or leisurely... walking with a purpose. Never called anybody a coward, I got love for all Forum members just said it looked cowardly.

#keylessentry
That's when you get security to walk you to your car.
If you're working a game with me, my cowardly butt is going to be waiting by the locker room while you are still on the court. If you carried me during the game I might be returning the favor and give you a lift. However most likely I'll just pass you with a nice nudge or tap and hope nothing stupid happened while you are walking back.
Old Thu Feb 23, 2012, 02:38pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
So no one can run up on you and snatch you by the lanyard. In fact I often tuck my whistle in my shirt during full time-outs and between quarters.
I do, too. But for a different reason.
Old Thu Feb 23, 2012, 02:47pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Shut Up ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
I do, too. But for a different reason.
Everybody just walk slowly away. And don't look back. If we ignore him, maybe he'll just go away on his own.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Feb 23, 2012, 03:29pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Let me see, who shall I listen to Mr. George Tolliver or berserkBBK??
Unless all your games are in the D-League I don't see how George's advice applies to what you should be doing with your scholastic crews.

For me, I'm trying to leave the court area as a crew. So if I'm at the far end I'm going to jog til I reach my partner(s). If I'm closer to the exit I will walk briskly to the nearest boundary line and look to see where the rest of my crew is and wait.

But I'm sure as heck not going stroll 94' to the other end of the court when my partners are waiting on me. And if the reason you make your crew wait for you to walk that far is because Mr. Tolliver told you to, then that's called "big-timing", IMHO.
Old Thu Feb 23, 2012, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Unless all your games are in the D-League I don't see how George's advice applies to what you should be doing with your scholastic crews.

For me, I'm trying to leave the court area as a crew. So if I'm at the far end I'm going to jog til I reach my partner(s). If I'm closer to the exit I will walk briskly to the nearest boundary line and look to see where the rest of my crew is and wait.

But I'm sure as heck not going stroll 94' to the other end of the court when my partners are waiting on me. And if the reason you make your crew wait for you to walk that far is because Mr. Tolliver told you to, then that's called "big-timing", IMHO.
No I'm not working D-League games. BUT when learning to bake a cake who shall I allow to teach me... The neighborhood lady or Sara Lee??

That's the problem, people want to be critical of where the information comes from instead of being open to it. Everything the Pros do can be applied at all levels.

Different rules, floor mechanics & signals... YES.
But at the end of the day, as long as the rims are 10' & they play 5 on 5 & the FT line is 15' & we have boundary lines... BASKETBALL IS BASKETBALL.

To be quite honest, until I started getting the top notch info my scholastic career was quite lame. I also didnt work any college or pro levels. The season after I went to the D-League camp (nope didnt get hired obviously) I applied the info that I obtained & got to R a State C'Ship in year 4. All my other opportunities came that summer.
That's no coincidence

FTR, big timing isnt even a thought process, but you will either get on board with the program or get left behind.

Last edited by tref; Thu Feb 23, 2012 at 03:44pm.
Old Thu Feb 23, 2012, 03:47pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I Know, I Need A Twelve Step Program ...

Quote:
Got to R a State C'Ship in year 4.
Seems it never rains in southern California.

Sorry tref. I couldn't resist.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Feb 23, 2012, 03:56pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
No I'm not working D-League games. BUT when learning to bake a cake who shall I allow to teach me... The neighborhood lady or Sara Lee??

That's the problem, people want to be critical of where the information comes from instead of being open to it. Everything the Pros do can be applied at all levels.

Different rules, floor mechanics & signals.
But at the end of the day, as long as the rims are 10' & they play 5 on 5 & the FT line is 15' & we have boundary lines... BASKETBALL IS BASKETBALL.

To be quite honest, until I started getting the top notch info my scholastic career was quite lame. I also didnt work any college or pro levels. The season after I went to the D-League camp (nope didnt get hired obviously) I applied the info that I obtained & got to R a State C'Ship in year 4.
That's no coincidence

FTR, big timing isnt even a thought process, but you will either get on board with the program or get left behind.
You are going find that some supervisors don't think everything the NBA does is right or should be applied to their games. And do you think I'm going to be left behind if I don't get my mentoring from George Tolliver or other NBA employees? One thing I've learned from guys who work in the venues I aspire to work is that you need to remember where and for whom you are working every night.

You're last few post are most definitely examples of big-timing. George Tolliver is from VA. I know many, many officials who have been through his camps--D-League, as well as the instructional camp he used to hold in Harrisonburg every year. None of these officials have ever invoked Tolliver's name as a reason to do something.

If you try to get in the Horizon or Summit or Big Ten or Great Lakes Valley Conference and you are told by an evaluator that the supervisor wants his officials to jog off the court together after every game do really think that you should continue to walk off the court b/c George Tolliver told you so in his camp?
Old Thu Feb 23, 2012, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

I know how to adjust to give a particular assignor what they want on that particular night.
I do it quite often, at each level. They don't want ticky tack b/c fouls in the ABA so I don't call em. One JUCO assignor wants the C to stand at the 3 point line looking down on FTs, my other JUCO assignor doesn't like it. So I adjust.

I know a few Forum members that are getting the same info that I get. Now I see why they choose to speak about it in PMs instead of publicly. When I post these things all Im doing is sharing million dollar info for free.
Like most info, we take it or leave it...

As for your big tliming reference, I was simply sharing how applying NBA techniques/thought process has steepened my personal learning curve, which in turn has created opportunities at other levels as well as moved me to the head of the class at the level I currently work. That's all! Before I opened my mind to these practices I had a 17 game varsity schedule heavy on the girls side.

Last edited by tref; Thu Feb 23, 2012 at 04:25pm.