The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 18, 2012, 06:55pm
Ok is the new good

HOCKEY BEHAVIOR-Playoff Game

The boys' basketball playoff game Friday night between host Providence High and New Roads was halted with 2:09 remaining in the fourth quarter when a fight between players escalated with fans and coaches pouring on to the court and becoming involved in the fracas.

In what had been a physical game throughout, the referees had problems controlling the rough play.

However, things got out of control late in the fourth when Providence's Jonathan Ly committed a hard foul on New Roads' Keylan Jandoo-Baker. Both players began to throw punches and teammates from both sides became involved. As the players were continuing to scuffle, fans from both sides, beginning with the New Roads contingent, left their seats and also became involved in the fight. Some fans grabbed players, while the officials were left powerless to deal with the situation.

Coach Ernest Baskerville believes the situation escalated as a direct result of the officials losing control of the game, as well as the opposition's fans becoming involved.

"I'm really disappointed with how their crowd and their coaches acted," he said. "But there was really no control by the refs for the entire game. I'll be very disappointed if there are any kinds of sanctions handed down to either team. It wasn't the players' fault. Kids are going to be kids. But when adults get involved, that's another story."

Lessons to be learned???
Old Sat Feb 18, 2012, 07:32pm
I miss being on the floor

"It wasn't the kids' fault"? The officials lost "control of the game"?

Obviously we weren't there, don't know what happened, don't know hardly anything about this game. It's always the kids' fault if a fight breaks out.
Old Sat Feb 18, 2012, 07:33pm
Official Forum Member

Boy first last year we're the table ineptitude capital of basketball now with two fights in the same division on the same night we're the fight capital of basketball.Here's the full text of the article-

CIF game marred by brawl
Boys' basketball: Providence gets win after contest against New Roads is halted after ugly incident.

BY JEFF TULLY, [email protected]

February 17, 2012 | 9:57 p.m.

PROVIDENCE HIGH — The boys' basketball playoff game Friday night between host Providence High and New Roads was halted with 2:09 remaining in the fourth quarter when a fight between players escalated with fans and coaches pouring on to the court and becoming involved in the fracas.

When order could not be restored, the officials called the game and Providence was credited with a 57-43 victory.

The ugly incident took place in a CIF Southern Section Division IV-A second-round game between the No. 1 Pioneers and No. 16 Jaguars. In what had been a physical game throughout, the referees had problems controlling the rough play.

However, things got out of control late in the fourth when Providence's Jonathan Ly committed a hard foul on New Roads' Keylan Jandoo-Baker. Both players began to throw punches and teammates from both sides became involved. As the players were continuing to scuffle, fans from both sides, beginning with the New Roads contingent, left their seats and also became involved in the fight. Some fans grabbed players, while the officials were left powerless to deal with the situation.

With fans still on the court and some players yelling at one another and others having to be restrained, the referees put a halt to the game. Security from the adjacent Providence St. Joseph Medical Center had to be summoned to try and restore order.

"It was kind of crazy. At Providence we just don't do things like that as a team, period," Pioneers freshman Marcus LoVett Jr. said referring to the fans becoming involved. "The way that happened, that was pretty bad."

Providence Coach Ernest Baskerville believes the situation escalated as a direct result of the officials losing control of the game, as well as the opposition's fans becoming involved.

"I'm really disappointed with how their crowd and their coaches acted," he said. "But there was really no control by the refs for the entire game. I'll be very disappointed if there are any kinds of sanctions handed down to either team. It wasn't the players' fault. Kids are going to be kids. But when adults get involved, that's another story."

Even after the game had been called, New Roads players, coaches and fans would not immediately vacate the Providence gym, which kept tensions high.

The incident marred a fine performance from LoVett and teammate Christian Ware-Berry. The two players scored 53 of the Pioneers' 57 points. While LoVett poured in a game-high 32 points, Ware-Berry tallied 21 points.

Providence (24-4), the Liberty League champion, was playing without senior starter Patrick Gonzalez, who was sidelined with a foot injury. Gonzalez was the state's leading scorer last season.

Without Gonzalez in the lineup, Baskerville said the Pioneers are missing a vital component, and that resulted in the unbalanced scoring.

"That's what happens when one of your leaders isn't in the game," said Baskerville, who's in his first season. "What we really miss is being able to go to Patrick when Marcus is double-teamed. When he's in there you can't double-team Marcus, because you also have to worry about Patrick."

It was a rough start for the Pioneers, who had trouble getting into a rhythm against the Jaguars (13-8) — the No. 2 team from the Coastal League. But the team was kept in the game by Ware-Berry and LoVett, who scored 11 and nine points, respectively.

Providence started to find its stride late in the first quarter, and closed it out with a 22-13 lead.

In the second quarter, the Jaguars couldn't cut into the lead, as Providence went into halftime with a 37-23 cushion.

The third quarter saw New Roads finally whittle the deficit to single digits when Derrien King scored with 4:19 left to make it a 40-32 game. But the Pioneers pushed back and had a 12-point lead after three quarters.

New Roads got as close as 11 points in the fourth.

The Pioneers will move to the quarterfinal round with a game at 7 p.m. Tuesday at a site to be determined. They will play Lancaster Baptist or Shalhevet.

:What this writer doesn't realize is that if Providence doesn't have enough eligible players after the fight they will have to forefit their next contest.CIF will issue suspensions based on the official's ejection report-its just a matter of how many.
Old Sat Feb 18, 2012, 07:43pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rookie View Post
HOCKEY BEHAVIOR-Playoff Game
Old Sat Feb 18, 2012, 07:51pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffler3492 View Post

Obviously we weren't there, don't know what happened, don't know hardly anything about this game. It's always the kids' fault if a fight breaks out.
I think I can safely say this coach has no control over his team.
Old Sat Feb 18, 2012, 08:40pm
Ok is the new good

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCalScoreKeeper View Post
Boy first last year we're the table ineptitude capital of basketball now with two fights in the same division on the same night we're the fight capital of basketball.Here's the full text of the article-

CIF game marred by brawl
Boys' basketball: Providence gets win after contest against New Roads is halted after ugly incident.

BY JEFF TULLY, [email protected]

February 17, 2012 | 9:57 p.m.

PROVIDENCE HIGH — The boys' basketball playoff game Friday night between host Providence High and New Roads was halted with 2:09 remaining in the fourth quarter when a fight between players escalated with fans and coaches pouring on to the court and becoming involved in the fracas.

When order could not be restored, the officials called the game and Providence was credited with a 57-43 victory.

The ugly incident took place in a CIF Southern Section Division IV-A second-round game between the No. 1 Pioneers and No. 16 Jaguars. In what had been a physical game throughout, the referees had problems controlling the rough play.

With fans still on the court and some players yelling at one another and others having to be restrained, the referees put a halt to the game. Security from the adjacent Providence St. Joseph Medical Center had to be summoned to try and restore order.

"It was kind of crazy. At Providence we just don't do things like that as a team, period," Pioneers freshman Marcus LoVett Jr. said referring to the fans becoming involved. "The way that happened, that was pretty bad."

Providence Coach Ernest Baskerville believes the situation escalated as a direct result of the officials losing control of the game, as well as the opposition's fans becoming involved.

Even after the game had been called, New Roads players, coaches and fans would not immediately vacate the Providence gym, which kept tensions high.

The incident marred a fine performance from LoVett and teammate Christian Ware-Berry. The two players scored 53 of the Pioneers' 57 points. While LoVett poured in a game-high 32 points, Ware-Berry tallied 21 points.

Providence (24-4), the Liberty League champion, was playing without senior starter Patrick Gonzalez, who was sidelined with a foot injury. Gonzalez was the state's leading scorer last season.

Without Gonzalez in the lineup, Baskerville said the Pioneers are missing a vital component, and that resulted in the unbalanced scoring.

"That's what happens when one of your leaders isn't in the game," said Baskerville, who's in his first season. "What we really miss is being able to go to Patrick when Marcus is double-teamed. When he's in there you can't double-team Marcus, because you also have to worry about Patrick."

It was a rough start for the Pioneers, who had trouble getting into a rhythm against the Jaguars (13-8) — the No. 2 team from the Coastal League. But the team was kept in the game by Ware-Berry and LoVett, who scored 11 and nine points, respectively.

Providence started to find its stride late in the first quarter, and closed it out with a 22-13 lead.

In the second quarter, the Jaguars couldn't cut into the lead, as Providence went into halftime with a 37-23 cushion.

The third quarter saw New Roads finally whittle the deficit to single digits when Derrien King scored with 4:19 left to make it a 40-32 game. But the Pioneers pushed back and had a 12-point lead after three quarters.

New Roads got as close as 11 points in the fourth.

The Pioneers will move to the quarterfinal round with a game at 7 p.m. Tuesday at a site to be determined. They will play Lancaster Baptist or Shalhevet.

:What this writer doesn't realize is that if Providence doesn't have enough eligible players after the fight they will have to forefit their next contest.CIF will issue suspensions based on the official's ejection report-its just a matter of how many.
Where was the second Brawl..can you post the article? Thanks
Old Sat Feb 18, 2012, 09:05pm
Official Forum Member

Here you go RookieDude-

BOYS’ BASKETBALL
AGBU 76, Avalon 73: It was escape from Catalina Island for the visiting Spartans, who were victorious after junior guard Andrew Tahmazian nailed the game-winning three-pointer with no time left to secure the CIF Southern Section Division V-A second-round playoff game.

The three-pointer led to a celebration by the No. 10-seeded Spartans (13-10), who then needed school staff to secure their exit from the gym.

“The crowd was mad because we won the game and then celebrated afterward. We weren’t trying to rub it in anyone’s face, we were just excited,” Spartans Coach Richard Harris said. “We had to wait for our taxis to take us to the pier to leave the island.”

Tahmazian led AGBU with 24 points in hitting six of 13 three-point attempts, while Jackson Gourdikian added 17 points, Andy Ketsoyan scored 14 points, Sako Garabedian chipped in nine points and Nareg Zandjian contributed nine points and 10 rebounds.

“Jackson was huge in the game in helping us beat their press and Nareg had some big free throws,” Harris said. “Now, we can focus on our next game.”

AGBU will host No. 2-seeded Rolling Hills Prep in Tuesday’s divisional quarterfinals at 7 p.m.

Rolling Hills Prep (19-6) won the team’s previous match-up, 59-52, on Jan. 3
Old Sun Feb 19, 2012, 04:50am
Official Forum Member

I don't know any info on the officials, but something to consider...
It was a 1 v 16 game in D4. Sometimes assignors try to include people in the postseason who aren't top-notch and put them on what is perceived to be a mismatch. In SoCal there are so many games at both the HS and college levels causing a need for so many officials that the assignors can frequently be put in a tight spot. I'm surprised that there aren't more problems in 1st round playoff games.
Old Sun Feb 19, 2012, 05:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffler3492 View Post

I agree the onus is on the players but I think we can all admit there are things we can do - in some cases - to prevent problems. I know sometimes "stuff happens" but if we have a sense trouble is on the horizon there are adjustments we can make to bring things back under control: talk to the kids, call things tighter, hand out Ts or just throw people out.

I didn't see this game either and I get more than a little frustrated when I see "the officials lost control" in print but without video of what went on it's hard to judge.
Old Sun Feb 19, 2012, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

These articles prove my theory that 99.5% of problems occur in games when officials DON'T BLOW THE WHISTLE enough!
Old Sun Feb 19, 2012, 09:52am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Exclamation Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocentsworth View Post
These articles prove my theory that 99.5% of problems occur in games when officials DON'T BLOW THE WHISTLE enough!
Don't know if the percent is that high, but I get your point.

Sounds like many of the reports I got about our Rec League results yesterday. While I love training and helping the young officials - getting them to blow the whistle remains a challenge!