The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jun 08, 2003, 09:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Camp this weekend. In this gym, there are three gym floors, when the bleachers are folded up, but insteand of the bleachers being against the far walls, they end up between the floors like dividers. They don't extend from endline wall to endline wall -- you can walk around the divider to get to the next floor. So during camp, the school puts up this little set of risers at one end of the divider, looking back at both floors that we use. The section is reserved for the refs so we can watch each other work, ask questions of the evaluators, and so forth.

So I'm working this very intense game, I think it was for fourth place or something, and it was heating up near the end of the game -- crosstown rival schools, close score, gym very warm, emotions running high. Maybe two minutes left we all go sailing down the floor on a fast break, away from the ref-bleacher set up, I get to the endline, turn and look see the shot go up clean, defender behind shooter, defender slides around to try to block the shot, but he's late, ball goes in, defender is frustrated and slams the backboard with his hand. I thought it was a very late swing, and the hit was very hard. I'm now facing toward the ref stands, and as I ponder whether to call a T for slapping the backboard, I glance up at the refs, and here's like 5 people in a row all making little T's in their laps!! Easiest call I ever made.
Old Sun Jun 08, 2003, 09:55pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

I bet I know which one of the refs there had no clue and probably thought it was a two-line offside or something. (inside joke between me and Juulie)
Old Mon Jun 09, 2003, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Okay, here's another cute story from camp.

We were working half-games so four refs had to huddle at half time to pass on information and be sure we got all the details correct. I was working the second half, and the first-half refs told us white would get the ball.

So we were getting ready to put the ball into play, and of course the players ask who gets the ball. I say white. This one kid says, "no, it should be green." Of course, he was green. I said, "No, green got the tip." He says, "But then white got it at the beginning of the 2nd quarter." I said, "We're playing running halves." He laughed.
Old Mon Jun 09, 2003, 03:11pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker

So we were getting ready to put the ball into play, and of course the players ask who gets the ball. I say white. This one kid says, "no, it should be green." Of course, he was green. I said, "No, green got the tip." He says, "But then white got it at the beginning of the 2nd quarter." I said, "We're playing running halves." He laughed.
Why didn't you tell him that you were giving it to white, but to make up for it, green would get the next two out of three?

Juulie - as you know, there's a Davism for every occasion.
Old Mon Jun 09, 2003, 08:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:

Why didn't you tell him that you were giving it to white, but to make up for it, green would get the next two out of three?

Juulie - as you know, there's a Davism for every occasion.
With all those evaluators watching, I got flustered. I'll try harder next time!!
Old Wed Jun 11, 2003, 03:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I glance up at the refs, and here's like 5 people in a row all making little T's in their laps
When I watch my fellow officials work a game, especially my friends, I make a point of never doing anything like this. I believe that nothing looks poorer than another official sitting in the stands either disagreeing with the calls or trying to tell you how to call the game.
I may jot down a note on the play or make a point of remembering it and then we will chat about it after the game, but never during.
First, this is distracting to the officials on the court who need to be giving their full concentration to the game, and secondly, I have had experiences where comments at halftime by other non-working officials have dramatically changed how a game was called in the 2nd half. Even when they are only made to one partner. In my opinion, that is not fair to the players and coaches who have now seen the officiating for a half and are anticipating another half just like that.
I trust my friends to call their games and they believe in me when I am out there. We will certainly debate much afterwards in an effort to make ourselves better though.
Old Wed Jun 11, 2003, 03:32am
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb That is just camp.

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Quote:
I glance up at the refs, and here's like 5 people in a row all making little T's in their laps
When I watch my fellow officials work a game, especially my friends, I make a point of never doing anything like this.
It is a camp, that is what happens at camp. And I am sure this was all done in fun too.

Also in a camp environment, the it is not uncommon to move officials around from half to half. These things are usually learning environments for all parties involved.

Peace
Old Wed Jun 11, 2003, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Re: That is just camp.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
Quote:
When I watch my fellow officials work a game, especially my friends, I make a point of never doing anything like this.
It is a camp, that is what happens at camp. And I am sure this was all done in fun too.
Although I'm sure that it was done in fun, Nevada's point is absolutely correct, in my opinion. Even at camp -- perhaps, especially at camp -- officials shouldn't be distracted from officiating. At camp, you're either trying your hardest to improve or you're trying to get hired by a supervisor (and you're paying for the privilege, besides!). In either case, the guys/gals on the sideline are doing a disservice to the official on the floor if they are distracting him/her with jokes or gestures, etc.

I agree with Nevada: when I'm watching a interscholastic game, I refrain from making comments or jokes to the officials (except at halftime, etc). And when I'm at camp, I'm too busy listening the observer or discussing situations with other non-working officials to joke with the guys/gals on the court.

Chuck
Old Wed Jun 11, 2003, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: That is just camp.

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
Quote:
Although I'm sure that it was done in fun, Nevada's point is absolutely correct, in my opinion. Even at camp -- perhaps, especially at camp -- officials shouldn't be distracted from officiating. At camp, you're either trying your hardest to improve or you're trying to get hired by a supervisor (and you're paying for the privilege, besides!). In either case, the guys/gals on the sideline are doing a disservice to the official on the floor if they are distracting him/her with jokes or gestures, etc.

I agree with Nevada: when I'm watching a interscholastic game, I refrain from making comments or jokes to the officials (except at halftime, etc). And when I'm at camp, I'm too busy listening the observer or discussing situations with other non-working officials to joke with the guys/gals on the court.

Chuck
I agree, too. And it wasn't happening as a rule -- I don't think I saw it any other time. That's what made it so funny -- that five people should all succumb at that same moment.

Also, one evaluator thought it was a great call, the other didn't, but told me, my mechanics were so confident that I sold him. That's nice to hear!!!
Old Wed Jun 11, 2003, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: That is just camp.

Quote:

Also, one evaluator thought it was a great call, the other didn't, but told me, my mechanics were so confident that I sold him. That's nice to hear!!!

Hey - you'd have me sold, too, if your mechanics were backwards and involved high heels.

Except for the new "kick" mechanic . . .