Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Re: That is just camp.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
I glance up at the refs, and here's like 5 people in a row all making little T's in their laps
When I watch my fellow officials work a game, especially my friends, I make a point of never doing anything like this.
It is a camp, that is what happens at camp. And I am sure this was all done in fun too.
Although I'm sure that it was done in fun, Nevada's point is absolutely correct, in my opinion. Even at camp -- perhaps, especially at camp -- officials shouldn't be distracted from officiating. At camp, you're either trying your hardest to improve or you're trying to get hired by a supervisor (and you're paying for the privilege, besides!). In either case, the guys/gals on the sideline are doing a disservice to the official on the floor if they are distracting him/her with jokes or gestures, etc.

I agree with Nevada: when I'm watching a interscholastic game, I refrain from making comments or jokes to the officials (except at halftime, etc). And when I'm at camp, I'm too busy listening the observer or discussing situations with other non-working officials to joke with the guys/gals on the court.

Chuck