The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 11, 2003, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Disappointing news

Rut/Fletch
When I was in HS, we were always playing for a shot at the Assembly Hall in Champaign-Urbana. That was the big goal for every HS player in both classes. When did they shift to Peoria, and more importantly, why? I assume they are at Bradley, but that seems quite a step down from going to the Assembly Hall.
Old Wed Jun 11, 2003, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Disappointing news

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
Rut/Fletch
When I was in HS, we were always playing for a shot at the Assembly Hall in Champaign-Urbana. That was the big goal for every HS player in both classes. When did they shift to Peoria, and more importantly, why? I assume they are at Bradley, but that seems quite a step down from going to the Assembly Hall.
I believe the IHSA put out bids to see who wanted to host the tourney and I don't think U of I even put in a bid. It's been in Peoria for 4-5 years now???? Might be even longer.
Old Wed Jun 11, 2003, 04:42pm
Official Forum Member

Do they still broadcast all the games? That was another big deal, skipping school to watch the elite eight games on TV (if your team wasn't in it). All day Friday if I remember correctly, with the semis and finals both on Saturday. It's where I first saw Jack Sikma (and Byron Sikma and Bob Sikma). Beginning the folowing year I got to see him for 4 years at IWU in person.
Old Wed Jun 11, 2003, 04:50pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb I really is not that bad.

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
Rut/Fletch
Assembly Hall is just too big. You would always watch the game and it looked like no one was there. They moved the Finals to Bradley for a more intimite feel and put a bigger premium on the ticket. And I believe it has been a bigger success. It also helps that Peoria is in hte middle of the state and is easier to get to for all parties involved. You could not say that about Champaign. It has been about 7 years they made this change if I am not mistaken. Or at the very least every year I have officiated in this state.

Peace