The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 02, 2003, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

I continue seeing posts regarding High School State Finals and such which make me wonder how the season runs in your neck of the woods......
In Georgia, the High School season begins in Mid-November, with 2/3 of the season in January/February. Region Tourneys are in mid-February and the State Championships in early March. The season is over before you know it.
Varsity game are always Tues-Fri-Sat, with Girls games preceding boys games. 1 crew (3-person) per set of games. Sub-varsity are scattered thru the week.

There are a few camps during the summer, but no organized high school ball outside of the season, so most officials do a little rec league here and there or AAU (if anything), but that's it.

Just curious if things are different in your area.
Old Mon Jun 02, 2003, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

Here in PA, our first practice date is usually the second Monday in November. The last Friday of the month is the first play date. We can play up to 24 games (26 including league playoffs) by the middle of February, followed by two weeks of district playoffs, and three weeks of state playoffs. The state finals are around the third weekend in March.

Varsity games can be any day of the week except Sunday (there are some exceptions made for special tournaments) but our league season plays on Tuesdays/Fridays. In my neck of the woods, we don't play girl/boy doubleheaders (well, once in a great while) but usually we play the same schools at the same times, (if the boys are home, the girls are away, and vice versa).

You are seeing the thread because some news just came down about one of the finals played in March, so I went back and found the thread and added a posting.
Old Mon Jun 02, 2003, 03:28pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb It never stops (Illinois High School Association)

Our season runs from the week before Thanksgiving for Girls basketball and the Boys start the week of Thanksgiving.

The Class A Girls (small schools) regional starts about the second week of February. The Class AA Girls (Big Schools) Regionals starts the following week. Then the Class A Boys Regionals starts the week after that. And finally the Class AA Boys Regionals start the week after that.

Our playoff system goes in this order (all-sports except Football use this format), Regional, Sectional, Super-Sectional, Finals. The Regional is one week, then the next week is the Sectional. The Super-Sectional is one game and the champion of Sectionals compete for the right to play in Bloomington (Girls) or Peoria (Boys) for the State Title. The final 8 teams play at the State Tournament Site.

When our season ends, there are many off-season basketball availible all over the state. If you live closer to Chicagoland area, you can attend several camps if you have the money or the time to participate. And many of the camps are both HS and college evaluation camps. And if you do not want to attend camps, there are several AAU, YBOA or any other kind of league to officiate from when the season ends, to when the next one starts. So if you like there is really no "off-season." And to top that, there are many High School Leagues that go on with teams all over the area playing with their HS teams with the monitoring of the actual head coaches and assistants during the games. Many of these HS leagues may not have the regular varsity players, but there might be some of the Freshman or Sophmores that might get a chance to step up to the next level.

So around here it never stops. The only time it might slow down is during the early fall when football season is going on. Many of the players play both football and basketball and I think that is why that is the case. But for the most part, basketball never stops.

Peace

Old Tue Jun 03, 2003, 07:51am
Official Forum Member

Cool

Here in Michigan our Girls season starts in August with J.V./Varsity on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Freshman on Monday and JR. High on Wednesday. The season including state finals end in Late October early November (I can't remember which). The Boys season kicks in the first of December. J.V./Varsity on Tuesday and Fridays. Freshman on Mondays and Thrusdays Jr. High on Wednesday. The season goes until the beginnig of March. With the state finals ending in the middle of March. AAU/AYBT kicks in at that time and goes until June. We also have High school summer leauges going from June until the last week of July, just in time for the Girls season to begin.
Old Tue Jun 03, 2003, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

It's interesting to see how some areas split the girl and boys seasons, as well as different "seasons" for the different classifications and age groups.
It also seems that there is more activity in the off-season up North, as far as AAU, non-stop camps, etc.
I would venture to say that only a small percentage of the high school officials here (GA) are "active" in the off-season, except for maybe a weekend camp here and there.
Old Tue Jun 03, 2003, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fletch_irwin_m
Re: It never stops (Illinois High School Association)

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Our season runs from the week before Thanksgiving for Girls basketball and the Boys start the week of Thanksgiving.

The Class A Girls (small schools) regional starts about the second week of February. The Class AA Girls (Big Schools) Regionals starts the following week. Then the Class A Boys Regionals starts the week after that. And finally the Class AA Boys Regionals start the week after that.

Our playoff system goes in this order (all-sports except Football use this format), Regional, Sectional, Super-Sectional, Finals. The Regional is one week, then the next week is the Sectional. The Super-Sectional is one game and the champion of Sectionals compete for the right to play in Bloomington (Girls) or Peoria (Boys) for the State Title. The final 8 teams play at the State Tournament Site.

Rut,
When I played up in the Chicago area we had summer leagues for colleges. We would always play somewhere, one year was at Oakton and can't remeber the other ones. Also, HS's have Summer Leagues, or at least used to. I would always coach a team that would play out at Kishwaukee. Is that stuff still going on? I loved it!

When our season ends, there are many off-season basketball availible all over the state. If you live closer to Chicagoland area, you can attend several camps if you have the money or the time to participate. And many of the camps are both HS and college evaluation camps. And if you do not want to attend camps, there are several AAU, YBOA or any other kind of league to officiate from when the season ends, to when the next one starts. So if you like there is really no "off-season." And to top that, there are many High School Leagues that go on with teams all over the area playing with their HS teams with the monitoring of the actual head coaches and assistants during the games. Many of these HS leagues may not have the regular varsity players, but there might be some of the Freshman or Sophmores that might get a chance to step up to the next level.

So around here it never stops. The only time it might slow down is during the early fall when football season is going on. Many of the players play both football and basketball and I think that is why that is the case. But for the most part, basketball never stops.

Peace

Old Tue Jun 03, 2003, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

In Alaska- The season starts the week after Christmas and is finished up with the State finals in the middle of March.

AK ref SE
Old Thu Jun 05, 2003, 12:47am
Official Forum Member

In Texas--

The season starts usually around the third week in November for both girls and boys. They get into district play around the first of January and end around the first or second week in February. The girls playoffs are always a week ahead of the boys. State Championships are played the first weekend in March for the Girls and the second weekend in March for the Boys. This is for all classes--1A-5A.

The Texas playoff system is as follows--

Bi-District, Area, Regional Quarterfinals, Regional Semi-Finals, Regional Finals, State Semi-Finals, State Finals.
Old Thu Jun 05, 2003, 06:49am
Official Forum Member

The season starts after Thanksgiving and ends in mid-February.
Old Mon Jun 09, 2003, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fletch_irwin_m
Rut,
When I played up in the Chicago area we had summer leagues for colleges. We would always play somewhere, one year was at Oakton and can't remeber the other ones. Also, HS's have Summer Leagues, or at least used to. I would always coach a team that would play out at Kishwaukee. Is that stuff still going on? I loved it!

Old Mon Jun 09, 2003, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Hey, MLancaster.

Don't know what part of Georgia you're in, but if you're in the Atlanta area, you might check into a high school league based at Centennial. As I understand, its a 10-week summer league. Don't know anything more. If you're interested, I'll try to find out.

- Catherine Aird
Old Mon Jun 09, 2003, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks, theboys.
I am in ATL and would be interested in hearing more if you know it...Do you know who books this league??
Old Tue Jun 10, 2003, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

ML - I found out last night the league starts tonight (sorry - I was on vacation last week). Our team plays tonight, and I plan to be there, so I'll find out what I can for you. I do know the games are Tues-Thurs, at 6,7,8 and 9. Running 10 minute quarters, no foul outs. I think the league has 8-10 teams. I'll let you know something tomorrow.

- Catherine Aird
Old Wed Jun 11, 2003, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

ML, I blew it!

I was unable to get to the games last night. I'll try to find out something today.

- Catherine Aird
Old Wed Jun 11, 2003, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

theboys...Don't knock yourself out, but thanks!!