Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 08, 2012, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
What do you like better?

Personally I prefer the NcAA terminology. I've called intentional fouls for swinging elbows and contact to the face/head twice and both times I've had to at length explain that intentional has nothing to do with intent and is instead just terminology, and confusing terminology at that. Does anyone know why the NHSF uses that terminology;?
I'm not sure what area or level you're talking about but any varsity coach around here knows its just terminology and i doubt will ever make the "well he didn't intend to" argument. The intentional foul terminology has been around forever, hasn't it? At least in my Rome everyone knows what it means (or doesn't, as the case may be)
Old Wed Feb 08, 2012, 09:43pm
Official Forum Member

I think going to the "flagrant 1" and "flagrant 2" terminology is better for fans, players and coaches. Too many people take the word "intentional" literally to mean intent. On the other hand, most fans, players, and coaches are already used to the flagrant 1/2 usage due to the NBA already using it.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed Feb 08, 2012, 10:15pm
Administrator

Rut in his post (Post #12) makes very valid and very true points.

I am not a fan of the NCAA definitions for IF and FF (both PF and TF). My primary reason for my position is that the NCAA has been making the TF section of Rule 10 more complex (and incomprehensible) over the last ten years or so. Keeping in mind that the NCAA and NFHS Rules are really decendents of the NBCUSC, and the NFHS has kept it TF section of Rule 10 more in line with the NBCUSC, I think that the NFHS is the better foundation for rewriting the appropriate sections of Rules 4 and 10.

A personal observation: The TF secion of NCAA R10 has become and abomination (that word was for you Billy) upon the game. I am an intelligent person. I am a structural engineer with a bachelor's degree in civil engineering with minors in mechanical engineering and mathematics, and yet the NCAA TF rule is absolutely stupid and just is not necessary. Rule 10 as written in the NFHS can take care of any problem that could happen in a NCAA game. The players are bigger, faster, quicker, and stronger now than in the late 1960's but the rules with some minor changes (3-pt FG and AP) could be applied today and one would not notice a difference in how the game is played.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio