The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 07, 2012, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

5th foul

I reported the foul as the C official, came halfway across to tableside of court, reported foul, went back to original C position. Double bonus, end of game, closely contested game. L administers 1st FT which is successful. T official at scorers table talking with HC, at this time we are notified that foul called was players 5th. Coach is complaining because she wasnt made aware of this prior to 1st free throw by my crew of 3. The scorer notified us after 1st made FT.
Good idea to have a pregame conference with scorer and timer while checking the books prior to the game, so all are on same page. Live and learn.
Old Tue Feb 07, 2012, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperReferee View Post
I reported the foul as the C official, came halfway across to tableside of court, reported foul, went back to original C position. Double bonus, end of game, closely contested game. L administers 1st FT which is successful. T official at scorers table talking with HC, at this time we are notified that foul called was players 5th. Coach is complaining because she wasnt made aware of this prior to 1st free throw by my crew of 3. The scorer notified us after 1st made FT.
Good idea to have a pregame conference with scorer and timer while checking the books prior to the game, so all are on same page. Live and learn.
Why would a coach be upset about that? The crew was notified after the 1st free throw, and that's when you notified the coach. Standard procedure.
Old Tue Feb 07, 2012, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Its an excuse to gripe.
Old Tue Feb 07, 2012, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

She wanted to "freeze" the shooter on the first shot, this was her response.
Old Tue Feb 07, 2012, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
She wanted to "freeze" the shooter on the first shot, this was her response.
Oh man, I'm sure you had worse problems with her than this play.
Old Tue Feb 07, 2012, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Actually, she was pretty good, the usual coach stuff, nothing out of the ordinary.
Old Tue Feb 07, 2012, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
Its an excuse to gripe.
Pretty much. It's not as though anything can happen to the coach, by rule, if the player is still in the game and no one told the crew she fouled out.

Yes, a good pregame with the table will help but if kids are at the table they forget. At least the table remembered before the clock started again.
Old Tue Feb 07, 2012, 02:36pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Why weren't you the new T for the free throws?
Old Tue Feb 07, 2012, 02:55pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Why weren't you the new T for the free throws?
If Michigan is using IAABO mechanics, he would go opposite table after reporting.
Old Tue Feb 07, 2012, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

It is the duty of the scorekeeper to notify you when a player has a 5th foul. If the coach is mad, they should be mad at the book.
Old Tue Feb 07, 2012, 03:09pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio View Post
It is the duty of the scorekeeper to notify you when a player has a 5th foul. If the coach is mad, they should be mad at the book.
While I agree, I tend to think of this the same way I think at a restaurant. If my food is late, I don't want to hear the waitress blaming the kitchen staff. If the book fails to notify me in time, it makes everyone look bad.

That said, this coach blew is making a mountain out of an orange.
Old Tue Feb 07, 2012, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
While I agree, I tend to think of this the same way I think at a restaurant. If my food is late, I don't want to hear the waitress blaming the kitchen staff. If the book fails to notify me in time, it makes everyone look bad.

That said, this coach blew is making a mountain out of an orange.
Agreed... we should know when a player has received his 5th foul. As a general rule, even with no game awareness you have to figure guys are getting into foul trouble in the second half of a tight ballgame.
Old Tue Feb 07, 2012, 06:41pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Own Up Guys ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio View Post
Shame on chseagle.

Shame on SCalScorekeeper.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Feb 07, 2012, 08:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm going to guess that they were on the same page with you. They already know they need to notify the officials after a player is charged with a 5th foul, having a 10 second talk with them before the game isn't going to stop them from making mistakes.