The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   player control (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/87715-player-control.html)

AKOFL Tue Feb 07, 2012 01:37am

player control

Having a discussion on weather you have player control on a throw in. the wording in the rule changed with team control on a throw in rule. To ahve player control you must be holding or dribbling a live ball. the old wording said inbounds. now it does not. What say u? player control on throw in?

PG_Ref Tue Feb 07, 2012 01:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AKOFL (Post 820866)
Having a discussion on weather you have player control on a throw in. the wording in the rule changed with team control on a throw in rule. To ahve player control you must be holding or dribbling a live ball. the old wording said inbounds. now it does not. What say u? player control on throw in?

Is it really relevant? I suppose if the foul occured on the thrower-in, u could rule player control. Whether player or team control, the outcome is the same ... no free throws if the other team is in the bonus.

HawkeyeCubP Tue Feb 07, 2012 02:04am

Quote:

I say yes.

bob jenkins Tue Feb 07, 2012 09:26am

Quote:

Under the new rules changes, yes. Doesn't seem to really matter, though.

JetMetFan Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:37am

Quote:

How is the thrower supposed to commit a player-control foul?

Adam Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 821012)
How is the thrower supposed to commit a player-control foul?

Not as hard as you might think.

Although as soon as he touches the defender in bounds, he commits a throw in violation. So, the only way I'm calling the foul is if he goes intentional or flagrant.

JetMetFan Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 821022)
Not as hard as you might think.

Although as soon as he touches the defender in bounds, he commits a throw in violation. So, the only way I'm calling the foul is if he goes intentional or flagrant.

Actually there's nothing under the list of throw-in violations in Rule 9 which deals with the thrower touching the defender, only the other way around. He/She can't leave the designated spot nor can they walk the ball onto the court so by the time they did either of those things they wouldn't have player control anymore.

Camron Rust Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 821022)
Although as soon as he touches the defender in bounds, he commits a throw in violation.

Really?

Adam Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 821035)
Actually there's nothing under the list of throw-in violations in Rule 9 which deals with the thrower touching the defender, only the other way around. He/She can't leave the designated spot nor can they walk the ball onto the court so by the time they did either of those things they wouldn't have player control anymore.

Read the note in 9-2-10. Also case 9.2.5B.

APG Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 821035)

9.2.5 SITUATION B: A1 has the ball out of bounds for a throw-in and is being guarded by B1. Before releasing the ball, A1 loses his/her balance, reaches out and puts his/her hand on B1 (who is inbounds) in an effort to regain his/her balance.

RULING: Throw-in violation by A1. A1 is required to remain out of bounds until releasing the throw-in pass. When A1 touches an inbounds player, he/she has inbound status. However, if the contact on B1 is illegal, a personal foul shall be called. (9-2-10 Note)

SNIPERBBB Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 821040)
Really?

See 9-2-10 note.

Toren Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:34pm

I"m confused

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 821044)
Read the note in 9-2-10. Also case 9.2.5B.

Didn't we just have a pretty lengthy thread about thrower-in A1 touching A2 with the ball and then pulling it back?

I thought the consensus was no violation. It appears Snags has some caseplays that would point to a violation now.

mbyron Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toren (Post 821052)
Didn't we just have a pretty lengthy thread about thrower-in A1 touching A2 with the ball and then pulling it back?

I thought the consensus was no violation. It appears Snags has some caseplays that would point to a violation now.

As I commented in that thread: the rationale given in the case for calling this a violation is that the player carried the ball into the court, which is absurd. Touching a player inbounds does not give the thrower inbounds status.

I'm fine with calling this a violation, but it will need to be defined independently.

Adam Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 821054)
As I commented in that thread: the rationale given in the case for calling this a violation is that the player carried the ball into the court, which is absurd. Touching a player inbounds does not give the thrower inbounds status.

I'm fine with calling this a violation, but it will need to be defined independently.

Right. While it's hard for a near hand-off to occur without player-to-player contact, I see no reason to extend this peculiar rule to the play from the other thread. If A1 doesn't actually touch another player on the court before he releases the throw in pass; he hasn't done anything wrong.

Toren Tue Feb 07, 2012 01:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 821064)
Right. While it's hard for a near hand-off to occur without player-to-player contact, I see no reason to extend this peculiar rule to the play from the other thread. If A1 doesn't actually touch another player on the court before he releases the throw in pass; he hasn't done anything wrong.

Fine distinction. Ball v Hand I suppose. I can live with that. Putting it into my database that way.