The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 06, 2012, 05:02pm
Official Forum Member

End of game intentional delay

Basically looking for someone with better search skills than I in this forum. Recall a vast discussion last season (I think) about losing team making a field goal, grabbing ball and throwing it away to stop the clock in the final seconds. Can't find that thread.

Just looking to remind myself about the reasoning on when to blow it dead, how/when to penalize, etc. Recall if it's under 5 seconds to go, the official shall not stop play but fuzzy on the rest.

(Maybe it was too late at night, but a re-reading of 10-1-5 and 10-3-5, and case book got me bupkus. And some late-night searching on the board was no better.)

At end of recent BV game, losing team pulled within three points with 8 seconds to go and heaved the pelotta waaay into a corner. Quite egregious. First warning to them apparently so the crew simply let the winners inbound on the end line. They ran out the clock and that was that. With 8 seconds to go, would one ever be justified in just letting one team go fetch the ball, essentially letting time run out because it couldn't be done quickly enough?

Wound the delay-heave ever warrant a T if no warning had been previously given?
Old Mon Feb 06, 2012, 05:08pm
I miss being on the floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amesman View Post
Basically looking for someone with better search skills than I in this forum. Recall a vast discussion last season (I think) about losing team making a field goal, grabbing ball and throwing it away to stop the clock in the final seconds. Can't find that thread.

Just looking to remind myself about the reasoning on when to blow it dead, how/when to penalize, etc. Recall if it's under 5 seconds to go, the official shall not stop play but fuzzy on the rest.

(Maybe it was too late at night, but a re-reading of 10-1-5 and 10-3-5, and case book got me bupkus. And some late-night searching on the board was no better.)

At end of recent BV game, losing team pulled within three points with 8 seconds to go and heaved the pelotta waaay into a corner. Quite egregious. First warning to them apparently so the crew simply let the winners inbound on the end line. They ran out the clock and that was that. With 8 seconds to go, would one ever be justified in just letting one team go fetch the ball, essentially letting time run out because it couldn't be done quickly enough?

Wound the delay-heave ever warrant a T if no warning had been previously given?
I would think that if you thought this action was unsporting, could just go straight to the T, which also carries the delay warning with it.
Old Mon Feb 06, 2012, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

See case play 9.2.10 Situation A and the comments ...

9.2.10 SITUATION A: A1 is out of bounds for a throw-in. B1 reaches through
the boundary plane and knocks the ball out of A1’s hands. Team B has not been
warned previously for a throw-in plane infraction. RULING: B1 is charged with a
technical foul and it also results in the official having a team warning recorded
and reported to the head coach. COMMENT: In situations with the clock running
and five or less seconds left in the game, a throw-in plane violation or interfering
with the ball following a goal should be ignored if its only purpose is to stop the
clock. However, if the tactic in any way interferes with the thrower’s efforts to
make a throw-in, a technical foul for delay shall be called even though no previous
warning had been issued. In this situation, if the official stopped the clock
and issued a team warning, it would allow the team to benefit from the tactic. (4-
47-1; 10-1-5b, c; 10-3-10)
Old Mon Feb 06, 2012, 07:51pm
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG_Ref View Post
See case play 9.2.10 Situation A and the comments ...

9.2.10 SITUATION A: A1 is out of bounds for a throw-in. B1 reaches through
the boundary plane and knocks the ball out of A1’s hands. Team B has not been
warned previously for a throw-in plane infraction. RULING: B1 is charged with a
technical foul and it also results in the official having a team warning recorded
and reported to the head coach. COMMENT: In situations with the clock running
and five or less seconds left in the game, a throw-in plane violation or interfering
with the ball following a goal should be ignored if its only purpose is to stop the
clock. However, if the tactic in any way interferes with the thrower’s efforts to
make a throw-in, a technical foul for delay shall be called even though no previous
warning had been issued. In this situation, if the official stopped the clock
and issued a team warning, it would allow the team to benefit from the tactic. (4-
47-1; 10-1-5b, c; 10-3-10)
It would be a team technical too right, not a player technical? Answered my own question. Team Tech.

Delay of Game Situation / Ruling Here is the thread that talks about a similar play

Last edited by Sharpshooternes; Mon Feb 06, 2012 at 07:53pm.
Old Tue Feb 07, 2012, 02:01am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Too bad we can't start the clock on the ready in plays like this.
Old Tue Feb 07, 2012, 02:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
It would be a team technical too right, not a player technical? Answered my own question. Team Tech.

Delay of Game Situation / Ruling Here is the thread that talks about a similar play
Looking at the case play, it would be a player tech ... as well as a team warning for delay. Did I misunderstand something?
Old Tue Feb 07, 2012, 07:20am
Esteemed Forum Member

Confused In Connecticut ...

I'm still confused about: more than five seconds, less than five seconds, no warning and a technical, warning only, player technical, team technical?

Five minutes left in the game. Player from team that just scored picks up the ball and throws it ten rows into the bleachers. No previous warning. What's the call?

Five minutes left in the game. Player from team that just scored picks up the ball and throws it one row into the bleachers. No previous warning. What's the call?

Five seconds left in the game. Player from team that just scored picks up the ball and throws it ten rows into the bleachers. No previous warning. What's the call?

Five seconds left in the game. Player from team that just scored picks up the ball and throws it one row into the bleachers. No previous warning. What's the call?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Feb 07, 2012, 08:40am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I'm still confused about: more than five seconds, less than five seconds, no warning and a technical, warning only, player technical, team technical?

Five minutes left in the game. Player from team that just scored picks up the ball and throws it ten rows into the bleachers. No previous warning. What's the call?

Five minutes left in the game. Player from team that just scored picks up the ball and throws it one row into the bleachers. No previous warning. What's the call?

Five seconds left in the game. Player from team that just scored picks up the ball and throws it ten rows into the bleachers. No previous warning. What's the call?

Five seconds left in the game. Player from team that just scored picks up the ball and throws it one row into the bleachers. No previous warning. What's the call?
The last 2 are easy as they are covered in the case book.

The first 2, well now it's time to step up and officiate.
Old Tue Feb 07, 2012, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

When you are this late in the game, 8 seconds as in this OP, why not just let the clock run, (give the throw in team a good 3 seconds to retrieve the ball, and 5 more seconds to throw the ball in), ......... and before you know it the game is over. No need to bother with technicals or delay of game warnings, etc.
The offending team is penalized by letting the clock run (like in football near the end of the game when certain penalties on the offense result in time coming off the clock).
Old Tue Feb 07, 2012, 10:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPete View Post
When you are this late in the game, 8 seconds as in this OP, why not just let the clock run, (give the throw in team a good 3 seconds to retrieve the ball, and 5 more seconds to throw the ball in), ......... and before you know it the game is over. No need to bother with technicals or delay of game warnings, etc.
The offending team is penalized by letting the clock run (like in football near the end of the game when certain penalties on the offense result in time coming off the clock).
Because its incorrect and above all else allows the team that launched the ball into the stands to benefit. if the book says they earned a T, then give them a T. if you dont call it than you are deciding the out come of the game and not the players
Old Tue Feb 07, 2012, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPete View Post
I can't see myself ever overlooking someone tossing the ball 10 rows into the stand.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Feb 07, 2012, 11:51pm
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Quote:
Technical with no warning. Any further delay = team tech

Quote:
Warning for delay. Any further violation = team tech

Quote:
Team tech, or maybe no call as the clock will still run.

Quote:
No call. Time will expire.
Old Tue Feb 07, 2012, 11:52pm
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
I can't see myself ever overlooking someone tossing the ball 10 rows into the stand.
Me either