The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   What do you have (block/charge)? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/87681-what-do-you-have-block-charge.html)

ballgame99 Mon Feb 06, 2012 01:12pm

What do you have (block/charge)?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Bn2PRN8BCvQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Me, I have a no call on the first (if no travel), and a charge on the second.

edit to add: IMO, no way you could call a defensive foul on the first one, its a charge or no call.

bainsey Mon Feb 06, 2012 01:18pm

Charge and charge.

Rich Mon Feb 06, 2012 01:21pm

PC on both. Great defense on the first one and substantial contact to the torso, IMO.

bob jenkins Mon Feb 06, 2012 01:24pm

charge, no call, charge, charge, charge, charge.

It's amazing how similar to each other the first three plays are, and how similar the last three plays are. ;)

Rich Mon Feb 06, 2012 01:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 820680)
charge, no call, charge, charge, charge, charge.

It's amazing how similar to each other the first three plays are, and how similar the last three plays are. ;)

Reminds me of the movie where one guy convinces a gullible guy to bet on the replay of a soccer goal and convinces him it's a new play.

HawkeyeCubP Mon Feb 06, 2012 01:29pm

1. That first play is a technically a travel - but it's the kind that doesn't get called on the men's side very often, in my limited experience of watching that side.

2. PC. Great defense and great call in an intense spot in the game. Wow.

Camron Rust Mon Feb 06, 2012 01:29pm

2nd one, obvious.

1st one looked embellished. Not sure that contact moved the defender as much as the defender made it look. He was going down no matter how much contact there was. It was close and from some angles it could look like a charge but I don't think I'd have a whistle on that one.

Sharpshooternes Mon Feb 06, 2012 02:20pm

1. Travel that I would have missed but would have called a charge.
2. Charge

I think we (officials in general, not necessarily you guys) penalize the defense way too much

Duffman Mon Feb 06, 2012 02:39pm

I def have a charge in number two, I actually was watching that live and rewound it to slow it down to take a second look.

The first looks like a no-call in every angle except for the camera on the floor in the leads corner. I sometimes struggle with this play, especially in situations like this. The offensive player has clearly tried to spin away from contact and the defense and the defensive players goal is clearly to draw the charge and not necessarily defend the rim. That said I also understand the argument of not penalizing the defense.

rockchalk jhawk Mon Feb 06, 2012 02:43pm

I am obviously a KU fan. I also missed the entire KU/MU game due to the fact that my own game that night tipped off at the exact same time that the KU/MU game did. Knowing that they lost and how they lost it (giving up an 11-0 run to end the game), I haven't had the heart to go watch highlights so this is the first footage I've seen from the game. I had heard quite a bit of grumbling from KU nation regarding the charge calls at the end of the game.

That being said, I'm not sure why people are pissing and moaning. Two pretty clear PC's in my opinion. *sigh*

Oh well, I didn't figure KU could pull this one out on the road anyways.

Adam Mon Feb 06, 2012 02:50pm

Both plays look like PC to me in live action. I can see maybe, from other angles, the second being a no-call. It looks to me like he went through the defender's space, including contact with the defender, so I'm not inclined to ignore it even if the defender started his reaction a bit early.

IMO the travel was after the contact on that first play, too.

Rich Mon Feb 06, 2012 02:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by HawkeyeCubP (Post 820683)
1. That first play is a technically a travel - but it's the kind that doesn't get called on the men's side very often, in my limited experience of watching that side.

2. PC. Great defense and great call in an intense spot in the game. Wow.

Yes, you're right. Spin move, replanted pivot. Again, I think because I'm told to look at the contact on the play, I never watched the feet.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Mon Feb 06, 2012 05:12pm

As many of you know my Dear Mother is an KU alumus and I am a KU basketball fan and so my calls in both plays would have been:

CHARGE!! and CHARGE!!

MTD, Sr.

P.S. I know that isn't KU blue but is the best I could do. :(
I think the first one by the C was a great call and the second one was
an even easier one to make.

jearef Mon Feb 06, 2012 05:26pm

Charge and Charge.

Jeremy Hohn Mon Feb 06, 2012 05:35pm

No call and Charge.