The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   What do you have (block/charge)? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/87681-what-do-you-have-block-charge.html)

JugglingReferee Mon Feb 06, 2012 05:49pm

PC and PC. That's without looking at the pivot feet.

JRutledge Mon Feb 06, 2012 05:49pm

PC fouls on both!!!

Peace

SamIAm Mon Feb 06, 2012 05:51pm

Full Disclosure - I am a KU fan and will be at the KU-Baylor game Wednesday.
(This year I got tickets early enough for the family to sit together. Mrs. SamIAm will appreciate that.)

Look at C's location when the contact occurs. Next to Mr. Self, and looking through two players. Regardless, from there it probably looked like a charge to the both C and Mr. Self as Mr. Self did not seem to complain.

twocentsworth Mon Feb 06, 2012 07:35pm

Don Daily (the calling official on both plays) got it right BOTH times....charge and charge.

There certainly was contact that created an advantage in both plays, so....

Ask yourself this question: "what did the defender do that was illegal?" OR "which player was responsible for/created the contact?"

eyezen Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamIAm (Post 820771)
Full Disclosure - I am a KU fan and will be at the KU-Baylor game Wednesday.
(This year I got tickets early enough for the family to sit together. Mrs. SamIAm will appreciate that.)

Look at C's location when the contact occurs. Next to Mr. Self, and looking through two players. Regardless, from there it probably looked like a charge to the both C and Mr. Self as Mr. Self did not seem to complain.

If you know who the C was on that play, you'd know that he doesn't look thru many players, especially guards out on the perimeter. ;)

SCalScoreKeeper Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:47pm

I've got a no call on the first one and a charge on #2.

HawkeyeCubP Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:18am

I challenge those of you saying "no call" for the first play to go look at it again and find the pivot foot.

APG Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by HawkeyeCubP (Post 820844)
I challenge those of you saying "no call" for the first play to go look at it again and find the pivot foot.

They're saying no call in regards to the OP's question...block or charge. And that type of "technical" travel is not really called at that level.

And for the record, I'm punching it in both plays.

zm1283 Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:41am

I know no one will want to subject themselves to this cesspool, but KU's message board is hilarious to read. So much stupidity and complete lack of rules knowledge about these two plays.

HawkeyeCubP Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 820849)
And that type of "technical" travel is not really called at that level.

It consistently is, and has been hammered as POE since I bought my first NCAA book - just not on that side.;)

APG Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by HawkeyeCubP (Post 820853)
It consistently is, and has been hammered as POE since I bought my first NCAA book - just not on that side.;)

Okay, at the major Division I men's basketball level, the technical travel on a lot of spins moves is no called quite a bit (in my observation). ;)

ILRef80 Tue Feb 07, 2012 01:01am

I no-call the first one. But, the floor angle from the lead's side makes me question my initial reaction because the contact was more significant than I thought live. But, to be honest, I would have probably no called this live.

The 2nd is a charge. Great defense and outstanding call.

Raymond Tue Feb 07, 2012 08:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ILRef80 (Post 820860)
I no-call the first one. But, the floor angle from the lead's side makes me question my initial reaction because the contact was more significant than I thought live. But, to be honest, I would have probably no called this live.

The 2nd is a charge. Great defense and outstanding call.

I think the first one is a PC but not from C's vantage point. The contact that was made was away from the C but easily seen by the Lead. So I would say it was the correct call but by the wrong official.

JugglingReferee Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:04am

On play #1, there's a travel at the beginning of the drive for not releasing the ball before the pivot foot is lifted, and I think there's a travel at the end of the drive as well for the pivot foot establishing a new point of contact with the floor prior to release. However, that may have occurred after the illegal contact.

For some reason, YouTube has been choppy this morning, so I didn't get the best look.

BillyMac Tue Feb 07, 2012 06:25pm

Finger Malfunction ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 820976)
For some reason, YouTube has been choppy this morning.

That's because everyone was looking on YouTube for MIA giving everyone in the United States the finger.