The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 27, 2003, 10:06am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by devdog69

There has been no disagreement in response to your situation, excluding Rut since I have no idea what he means, can't follow the double negatives.
I will remember that the next time you tell me what attitudes I should have on this board and in officiating in general. But then again, you seem to follow those posts very well. I will worry about (what you think) are double negatives when you become a better official than I.

Peace
Old Tue May 27, 2003, 10:26am
In Memoriam

Yo, Rut.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
Originally posted by devdog69

There has been no disagreement in response to your situation, excluding Rut since I have no idea what he means, can't follow the double negatives.
I will remember that the next time you tell me what attitudes I should have on this board and in officiating in general. But then again, you seem to follow those posts very well. I will worry about (what you think) are double negatives when you become a better official than I.

Peace
Need a hug?
Old Tue May 27, 2003, 11:39am
Do not give a damn!!

Wink Noooooooooo!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by mick

Need a hug?
No, just find it funny someone can make a cheap shot, but when I say something they do not like, they are running their mouth about how wrong I am. Actually it was rather funny to me. You just cannot convey that on a computer screen, no matter how many smiles you display.

Peace
Old Wed May 28, 2003, 05:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Originally posted by mpeterson_1
Nevadaref,

If I understand what you're saying, you disagree with Rut? You're saying the officials should have called the game over? What are we saying here? Is the period over if the officials have knowledge, or are we going with the horn?
No, that's not what he's saying. He saying that the FTs should have been shot WITH PLAYERS ON THE LANE, not with a clear lane.
Thank you, Tony. Yes, this is exactly why they were wrong in this game. A foul or violation could have occurred during the free throws if they had correctly allowed the players to be along the lane. Also, in this gym because of the style of clock used, a player could have rebounded the missed second free throw and possibly scored on a catch and shoot, if that player could release the shot before the horn. In most other gyms only a tap could score.
In short, it is important to review those rules on when a quarter ends. They can be a bit tricky and you don't want it to screw up a big game that you do.
Old Tue Jul 15, 2003, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

Sometimes I don't understand why the Federation won't follow the NCAA, NBA, and FIBA's lead and mandate tenths of a second in the final minute. The major manufacturers already have adopted tenths and some scoreboards are under $2,000. Daktronics and Trans-Lux have been making tenths units since 1989 as they were in the NBA (Daktronics, White Way, and Barco are the three major brands used in the NBA), so the first generation of older bulb units will be for sale soon for smaller schools as larger schools give away their units in favor of the newer LED types (all new units are LED), which cost much less in the long run because of the power usage. They can also retrofit the boards.

Furthermore, the red light rule could be instituted where a red light on the basket or clock could be used to signal the end of period when the horn does not sound. That solution does not cost more than $500.

Bobby
Deut 31:6-8
Old Wed Jul 16, 2003, 08:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bobby
Sometimes I don't understand why the Federation won't follow the NCAA, NBA, and FIBA's lead and mandate tenths of a second in the final minute. The major manufacturers already have adopted tenths and some scoreboards are under $2,000. Daktronics and Trans-Lux have been making tenths units since 1989 as they were in the NBA (Daktronics, White Way, and Barco are the three major brands used in the NBA), so the first generation of older bulb units will be for sale soon for smaller schools as larger schools give away their units in favor of the newer LED types (all new units are LED), which cost much less in the long run because of the power usage. They can also retrofit the boards.

Furthermore, the red light rule could be instituted where a red light on the basket or clock could be used to signal the end of period when the horn does not sound. That solution does not cost more than $500.
Cost, cost, cost! Schools don't have enough money to buy books or pay teachers. That's why the NFHS doesn't require clocks with tenths. That's also why you won't see a shot clock mandated anytime soon. Red lights are already required, but they only light up when the horn sounds.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Jul 16, 2003, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to PGCougar
Quote:
Quote:

Cost, cost, cost! Schools don't have enough money to buy books or pay teachers. That's why the NFHS doesn't require clocks with tenths. That's also why you won't see a shot clock mandated anytime soon. Red lights are already required, but they only light up when the horn sounds.
Not to mention the fact that most HS timekeepers are not consistent or skilled enough to make it worth the expenditure...
Old Wed Jul 16, 2003, 04:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Red lights are already required, but they only light up when the horn sounds.

Red lights aren't required in Fed - they're just "allowed."
Old Wed Jul 16, 2003, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Bobby, money is crucial in schools nowadays.

Until we can get a 3rd official on games (on average $500-700/season), you won't see a $500 red light solution.
Old Wed Jul 16, 2003, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:

My apologies. In NC, they're required.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Jul 16, 2003, 08:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:

My apologies. In NC, they're required.

Have you ever had problems with the lights turning on during either a dunk or hitting the rim/backboard really hard (shot or hand)? I'm wondering if it is a local problem or with all of the lights . . .