The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 25, 2003, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

I am just getting started in becoming a basketball official. I am going to attend my first camp this June and would like some advice. Is there anything special I should take with me other than the normal stuff or are there other things I should know. I am eager to get started and would like some advice from the vets out there on some important tips. You can imagine I am a little nervous about this being I have no exp as of yet.
Thanks!
Old Sun May 25, 2003, 02:31pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by NCnewref
I am just getting started in becoming a basketball official. I am going to attend my first camp this June and would like some advice. Is there anything special I should take with me other than the normal stuff or are there other things I should know. I am eager to get started and would like some advice from the vets out there on some important tips. You can imagine I am a little nervous about this being I have no exp as of yet.
Thanks!
Contact BktBallRef on this forum.
Old Sun May 25, 2003, 02:48pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Thanks!
Probably the most important thing you can do at this stage of your career, is to find a mentor. It needs to be someone that is rather accomplished as an official, at a level you want to work at (varsity, college, NBA maybe?). Then when you go to camps, just listen to everything being said. You might here conflicting information from time to time, but just listen and not question the info. Officials tend to not always agree on what is best and there are many things that different official might do. Read the mechanics books from front to cover and try to follow them as close as possible when you are starting out. It will help you understand any confusing language that might be repeated over and over again. And most of all, have fun. You are going to learn so many things over a short period of time and it will be overwelming. We all have been there, it will be like taking a crash course that everyone expects (outside of the officials) will want perfection from. It will take you a few years to completely have a clue to what is going on. Just understand that going in, and you will be fine.

Good luck to you.

Peace
Old Sun May 25, 2003, 05:58pm
Official Forum Member

The most important thaing to bring is a good attitude--good luck you will do fine
Old Sun May 25, 2003, 05:58pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Red face I've said it before, and I'll say it again.....

.....tuck your whistle in your shirt before you take a leak.

I hope Juulie is teaching this at her camp.
Old Sun May 25, 2003, 06:54pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for all the feedback so far. I am looking forward to getting started. I guess one of my biggest fears is just getting out there. I am finding it hard to come across a NFHS rule book and case book, even older ones, so I can study up. Does anyone know where they can be purchased? I even tried ebay.
Old Sun May 25, 2003, 07:12pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by NCnewref
Thanks for all the feedback so far. I am looking forward to getting started. I guess one of my biggest fears is just getting out there. I am finding it hard to come across a NFHS rule book and case book, even older ones, so I can study up. Does anyone know where they can be purchased? I even tried ebay. [/QUOTE

The FED athletic association in the state in which you reside will have rule and case books for you.
Check with them.
Good luck!
Old Sun May 25, 2003, 07:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thanks!
NCnewref, you never emailed me.

To be honest with you, it probably would have been better to get a little experience bbefore going directly to a camp. But, if you've already signed up, so be it. Who's putting on the camp and where's it at??
Old Sun May 25, 2003, 08:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
If you've really never been on the floor with a whistle, the best thing you can do is just get out there and do it. Don't take anything that happens as a permanent condition. You're not the worst ref ever, and you're not the amazing phenom that'll put 'em all in their places. You're just getting started. After about 35 or 50 games, what's your feeling? Loving it? Never again? Wanting new challenges? That's the time to really dig in, and start getting serious.

Do find a rule book, before you start, and study up. Ask someone about the interpretation of the different rules in your area. Watch other refs. Ask questions.

And stay on this board. Whether your problem is rules, attitudes, emotions, conditioning, or fashion, this is the place to get the final word.

Most of all, if a coach gives you too much trouble, check with Padgett about Staring and Puking lessons. He's the master!!
Old Sun May 25, 2003, 08:56pm
Official Forum Member

As one who was recently in your shoes, here's a few things that helped me.

1. Get the books--Rule book, case book, and mechanics book. You can call your state association, but they might be out (it's the off season), my association was when I called. If they are, contact the NHFS. That's where I got mine. Last year's book is okay, there are only a few changes, and they're listed on the NHFS site. Read 'em. Then read 'em again.

2. Work, work, work. Beg for games, do youth leagues, whatever it takes, just get working. Your judgement and mechanics will only start to really develop on the court.

3. Listen to everything and everyone at camp. Read the recent thread on my first camp. All the advice given was right on the mark. The evaluators will be very helpful. Your fellow campers will also have a lot to teach you.

4. Hang out on this board. The discussions are insightful. The off-topic stories are usually pretty funny. And that whacky squirrel shows up from time to time. It's probably the most useful read you'll find on the topic. But, when somebody asks a question, don't just accept the first answer given. Sometimes it's wrong and subsequent posts will correct it.

5. Learn to be an official. There's a big difference between a guy with a striped shirt and an official. An official is professional in his appearance and demeanor. An official hustles and acts the part. An official commands respect, the striped-shirted one is left demanding respect. Learn to be fair, firm, and when to show the stop sign. An official uses common sense and preventive officiating to steer clear of trouble. An official is not intimidated by players, coaches, or fans. He/she knows that most calls will be unpopular with somebody, and doesn't care. An official works with his/her partner as a team. An official knows that the game is about the players, not the coaches, fans, parents, or the officials. An official knows where his personal line is and is not afraid to give the T to anybody who crosses it. You will never gain respect, especially from coaches, by not giving the T when it's deserved.

6. Watch other officials. But...be careful. I had some setbacks early on because I watched a couple of varsity officials working a local game and started to emulate some of their bad habits.

7. Get a mentor.

8. If it stops being fun, change something or get out. Nobody likes a surly ref whose only in it for the money. If it isn't fun, it isn't worth doing.

9. Know who to take advice from. Always consider the source. Lots of people will be happy to give you advice. Consider their bias and why they want you to do what they advise. Discard the chaff, keep the good stuff.

10. Some days you're the statue, some days you're the pigeon. Don't let a bad game get you down. Learn and move on. One of my most important lessons so far came on the night I almost gave it up for good.

Hope it helps.
Old Sun May 25, 2003, 09:53pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Red face

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker

Most of all, if a coach gives you too much trouble, check with Padgett about Staring and Puking lessons. He's the master!!
Juulie - I've been working on staring and puking at the same time! I'll try it out when we work together later this week.
Old Mon May 26, 2003, 12:48am
Official Forum Member

Don't be afraid to ask questions.

Work as many games as you can. Not only will you get experienced, but "others" will get to know you better.

Watch others and learn.
Old Mon May 26, 2003, 06:39pm
Official Forum Member

BktBallRef, I just emailed you. Thanks everyone for your advice and encouragement. Seems everyone here really enjoys what they do and I am looking forward to the challenge. Please continue with the advice. Thanks!
Old Mon May 26, 2003, 09:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
BktBallRef, I just emailed you. Thanks everyone for your advice and encouragement. Seems everyone here really enjoys what they do and I am looking forward to the challenge. Please continue with the advice. Thanks!
Check your email.