The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Oops, wrong basket (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/87460-oops-wrong-basket.html)

de la hoops Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:50pm

Oops, wrong basket

1:15ish remaining in a GV game. Team A is up 2 points and has the ball on the BC endline after a timeout. No defensive pressure. A1 inbounds to A2 who takes a dribble and attempts a layup at the wrong basket. The layup hits the backboard, rolls across the back of the rim, and A2 catches the ball on the other side of the lane. She immediately knew what had happened, so she starts a dribble in the correct direction. As this all happened a couple of defenders were rushing toward her, reaching her just as she starts her dribble. There is contact as she tries to split the defenders and the ball is knocked away.

What do you have?

tref Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by de la hoops (Post 819891)
1:15ish remaining in a GV game. Team A is up 2 points and has the ball on the BC endline after a timeout. No defensive pressure. A1 inbounds to A2 who takes a dribble and attempts a layup at the wrong basket. The layup hits the backboard, rolls across the back of the rim, and A2 catches the ball on the other side of the lane. She immediately knew what had happened, so she starts a dribble in the correct direction. As this all happened a couple of defenders were rushing toward her, reaching her just as she starts her dribble. There is contact as she tries to split the defenders and the ball is knocked away.

What do you have?

An illegal dribble...

Toren Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by de la hoops (Post 819891)

What do you have?

Not enough information is what I have. Is the contact illegal?

tref Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toren (Post 819896)

I know shes a hottie, but just how many times are you gonna let her begin her dribble :eek:

de la hoops Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:59pm

Thanks. That's what I had. I was confident I was correct, but ol' self-doubt started eating at me.

Needless to say there were some very confused coaches and upset fans. It didn't help that my call was a bit slow as my mind processed what was happening.

bob jenkins Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toren (Post 819896)

Plenty of information presented -- and it's all before the contact happened.

As I read it, she dribbled three times.

Toren Fri Feb 03, 2012 01:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 819898)
I know shes a hottie, but just how many times are you gonna let her begin her dribble :eek:

I focused on the wrong part of OP.

After re-reading it, I'm going to need to find a rules reference. The player didn't attempt a try cause it was at the wrong basket, so the team control is there. She then caught the ball again and started another dribble. Yeah sounds like an illegal dribble.

Rules reference to come.

9-5. none of the exceptions applied. Illegal dribble

de la hoops Fri Feb 03, 2012 01:07pm

I used Case 9.5b, but it didn't stop me from doubting myself.

I could've (should've) made the call when the ball hit the backboard, I believe.

tref Fri Feb 03, 2012 01:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by de la hoops (Post 819906)

There it is, 3 dribbles just as bob stated. You guys know the drill... always listen to bob!!

Adam Fri Feb 03, 2012 01:12pm

Fundamental 19 is the key here.

bob jenkins Fri Feb 03, 2012 01:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 819908)

+1 -- and I think the same thing is in 4-Ball Location

de la hoops Fri Feb 03, 2012 01:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 819908)

So I should have stopped play when she collected the ball after the missed layup. Agree?

PG_Ref Fri Feb 03, 2012 01:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by de la hoops (Post 819906)

I could've (should've) made the call when the ball hit the backboard, I believe.

If A2 had not touched the ball again after it hit the backboard, no violation.

Adam Fri Feb 03, 2012 01:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by de la hoops (Post 819914)
So I should have stopped play when she collected the ball after the missed layup. Agree?

Yes, because it hit the backboard. If it only hit the rim, and she hadn't moved her pivot....

PG_Ref Fri Feb 03, 2012 01:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by de la hoops (Post 819914)

Agree.