The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 02, 2012, 08:52am
TODO: creative title here

I finally made it

After nearly 3 seasons of basketball officiating, spanning just shy of 300 games, tonight I have my first varsity assignment.

Granted, it's between 2 sub-500 teams (combined record is something like 7-30), and it's going to be a 150-mile round-trip for me to get there, but still.

As one of my association's clinicians says: "If I told you there was $70 under a rock 70 miles from here, would you go get it? Probably not. But if I told you that you could 70 miles to get yelled at by coaches and fans for an hour and a half for that $70, you'd go."

Can't wait.
Old Thu Feb 02, 2012, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
After nearly 3 seasons of basketball officiating, spanning just shy of 300 games, tonight I have my first varsity assignment.

Granted, it's between 2 sub-500 teams (combined record is something like 7-30), and it's going to be a 150-mile round-trip for me to get there, but still.

As one of my association's clinicians says: "If I told you there was $70 under a rock 70 miles from here, would you go get it? Probably not. But if I told you that you could 70 miles to get yelled at by coaches and fans for an hour and a half for that $70, you'd go."

Can't wait.
Congrats. Call the obvious, slow everything down, and don't screw up.
Old Thu Feb 02, 2012, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

If two teams are equally poor then you still have a competitive match-up. The other day I had a BV game between two schools that are both having a down year; one of the GV refs mentioned that we could probably expect as equally poor of a game as they had.

Well our game was tied at the half and a one point win for the visitors after a missed final attempt at the buzzer by the home team. So, be ready for anything and enjoy your game!
Old Thu Feb 02, 2012, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Can't wait.
That's awesome. No advice, you are obviously ready otherwise you wouldn't have earned this game. Have fun (is that advice?).
Old Thu Feb 02, 2012, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Can't wait.
Mazatlan!
Old Thu Feb 02, 2012, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Congrats and have fun.
Old Thu Feb 02, 2012, 01:19pm
Get away from me, Steve.

You can have my game tonight - it starts at 7:30PM.

Oh, wait, you already have one. Congrats.
Old Thu Feb 02, 2012, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

Well done-go get 'em!
Old Thu Feb 02, 2012, 10:29pm
Official Forum Member

good luck
Old Fri Feb 03, 2012, 07:07am
Esteemed Forum Member

What's Your Cutoff Point ...

Quote:
"If I told you there was $70 under a rock 70 miles from here, would you go get it? Probably not. But if I told you that you could 70 miles to get yelled at by coaches and fans for an hour and a half for that $70, you'd go."
$88.84 under the garnet mica schist rocks here in Connecticut. Also, it's a small state, my longest ride is 50 miles. Now would you go if there wasn't a game to officiate when you got there?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Feb 03, 2012 at 07:30am.
Old Fri Feb 03, 2012, 09:02am
Lighten up, Francis.

Congrats! Always an exciting moment when you walk out there for your first game at a new level. Hope it went well.
Old Fri Feb 03, 2012, 09:19am
TODO: creative title here

Well, I survived.

It was a girls JV/V doubleheader. The visiting team had 9 players... total... for both games combined.

I was definitely nervous starting out... luckily the JV game was first. Twice in a 2-minute span I nearly gave the throw-in to the wrong team (thankfully my partner corrected me before it was too late).

We had a 30 minute break between the JV and Varsity games, which gave us a chance to go back to our changing room, drink some gatorade, eat some popcorn, and go over a few things.

The varsity game went ok... The outcome was never really in doubt, as the home team had one player who was simply a better player than anyone on the visiting team... It never got closer then 6 points in the second half, and the home team ended up winning by about 20.

Coaches for both teams were great... There were only two calls that caused any sort of protest. One was a charge call that caused the Home coach to go into the whole "she wasn't set" routine. The other one was a blocking foul where I granted the H player the basket due to her continuous motion, which caused the V coach to try to convince me that there's no such thing as continuous motion in HS basketball.

The only really embarrassing thing was that the zipper on my pants decided that last night was the night that it should stop functioning properly, so there as a few-minute stretch in the second half where my zipper was loose and I couldn't do anything about it. Oh well, as far as I know nobody noticed but me.

After the game, my partner said he'd call our assigner and let him know that I did a good job and that he thought I was definitely ready to work at that level. That's always nice to hear.
Old Fri Feb 03, 2012, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Way 2 GO!
Old Fri Feb 03, 2012, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Congratulations again on a game well-called and for the positive feedback received!
Old Fri Feb 03, 2012, 06:34pm
Esteemed Forum Member

When In Rome, Speak Latin ...

Quote:
The only really embarrassing thing was that the zipper on my pants decided that last night was the night that it should stop functioning properly, so there as a few-minute stretch in the second half where my zipper was loose and I couldn't do anything about it. Oh well, as far as I know nobody noticed but me.
Semper ubi niger sub ubi.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)