The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 30, 2012, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Slippery soles

I recently purchased a new pair of the New Balance 623's. I have worn this shoe or the equivalent model for the last 5-6 years. When I have worn the new ones, I feel like I am running on a ice rink. Is there any method or application of making the soles tacky and have better traction? Thank you!
Old Mon Jan 30, 2012, 10:29am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffett View Post
I recently purchased a new pair of the New Balance 623's. I have worn this shoe or the equivalent model for the last 5-6 years. When I have worn the new ones, I feel like I am running on a ice rink. Is there any method or application of making the soles tacky and have better traction? Thank you!
The Slip Not is your friend.

The main problem is the dust we tend to pick up walking to and from the locker room and in the locker room (or metal shop we're changing in that night).

In a pinch I'll wet my hand and rub it on the soles or use a wet towel if there's one for the players' use. But if there's a Slip Not, I'm not shy about using it pregame and anytime I get a minute near the table.
Old Mon Jan 30, 2012, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffett View Post
Me too. The new version is "slipperier" than the old for whatever reason (picks up more dust, ....)
Old Mon Jan 30, 2012, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

check out this product....

Court Grip - Basketball Shoe Grip | Foot Locker
Old Mon Jan 30, 2012, 11:16am
I miss being on the floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAREF View Post
Saw that the other night at a game, asked the coach if the stuff worked, he didn't know. Anyone else tried it?
Old Mon Jan 30, 2012, 11:55am
Esteemed Participant

Try wiping the soles down with a rag that has rubbing alcohol on it. A lot of the new shoes are sprayed with a waxy finish product that keeps them looking nice on the shelf, but actually makes a barrier between the tread and the court. If you get that substance off the shoe, they should grip the court better. Plus wiping down the entire shoe helps your shoe polish soak into the leather and you get a better shine on the shoes.