The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 29, 2012, 11:05pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up I love blowouts

In one of my rec games today, the final score was 86-10! It was a boys 8th grade game and the home team won. There were very few fouls so the game went relatively quickly. Even scarier was the score at the end of Q1. It was 30-0! The home coach put in all the qualifiers you usually see in a game like this: three passes before a shot, pull back on breakaways, no press, etc. but it didn't matter. In fact, the visiting team was called for three 10 second backcourt violations when there were no defenders in the backcourt at all.

What made this such a great game for myself and my partner was that the game was over quickly and we didn't get any crap from either bench. That's why I love blowouts.

And yes, I did feel bad for the kids that got slam dunked.
Old Mon Jan 30, 2012, 12:36am
We don't rent pigs

There is a big cross town rivalry near where I live. One of the schools, traditionally, is a big favorite in the football matchup, while the other, up to now, has always named the score in the basketball. The first time I called this game, the coach let them press for half of the first quarter. The score at this point was 20-4. Final was 100-29. This year the basketball team at the football school is much stronger than some in the past. I recently made the comment that "The days of 100-29 are over." They played Friday. I was right.
The score was 101-39.

They narrowly escaped overtime.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Jan 30, 2012, 01:13am
Official Forum Member

I stayed to observe a varsity game a few weeks back. At halftime the score was 58-5. The thing that stunned me, more than the fast break dunks and centers hitting threes(pretty small schools), was that the losing coach was still running and gunning. I felt like somebody had dared him to run Mike D'Antoni's "seven second or less" offense.

He knew going into the game that he was totally outmatched. The stronger team is a favorite to win state. When I was in high school we weren't good, but we played one of the better teams in the state and only lost 36-26. Part of the reason why we weren't smashed by 70 points was our coach had the brains to realize we were hopeless in a shoot out, so we took forever on each possession and it put the other team in a funk. Not that we run some 8 minute four corners style offense, but we took a long time to take a shot, and didn't rush anything.

All that to say, sometimes I want to walk over to the bench and give some advice like "coach, when they are in a zone you may want to stop setting on ball screens" or "don't yell at me coach, my advice is to find a point guard who can dribble past half court without turning the ball over"
Old Mon Jan 30, 2012, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

All that to say, sometimes I want to walk over to the bench and give some advice like "coach, when they are in a zone you may want to stop setting on ball screens" or "don't yell at me coach, my advice is to find a point guard who can dribble past half court without turning the ball over"[/QUOTE]

What if during this game his objective is to work on setting on ball screens regardless of what defense the opponent is playing?
Old Mon Jan 30, 2012, 04:42pm
Esteemed Forum Member

How Often Do We Get To Quote Rudyard Kipling On The Forum ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by BballRookie View Post
Sometimes I want to walk over to the bench and give some advice like "coach" ...
Refs ref. Coaches coach. "Never the twain shall meet".
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Jan 30, 2012, 09:32pm
Official Forum Member

had a college game this past saturday that ended in a 70 point win for the home team. best part was we got paid before the game and, thanks to my iphone, my check was already deposited into my checking account before we took the floor...
Old Tue Jan 31, 2012, 12:06pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation Had another one last night

6th grade girls "competitive" rec. Visitors beat the home team 59-9. It was 35-3 at the half. That was one of two games. The other (same level) ended 40-36. Much more interesting. In fact, the four point differential was the largest of the game. They pretty much traded baskets for 30 minutes up until the end when team A got up by three with the ball and team B started to foul.

At that point, my partner and I agreed we would make sure there would be no overtime.
Old Tue Jan 31, 2012, 01:35pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
6th grade girls "competitive" rec. Visitors beat the home team 59-9. It was 35-3 at the half. That was one of two games. The other (same level) ended 40-36. Much more interesting. In fact, the four point differential was the largest of the game. They pretty much traded baskets for 30 minutes up until the end when team A got up by three with the ball and team B started to foul.

At that point, my partner and I agreed we would make sure there would be no overtime.
I thought by now everyone already knows! lol
Old Tue Jan 31, 2012, 01:48pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
I thought by now everyone already knows! lol
He's a newbie. I had to indoctrinate him.

BTW - he also called a "travel" on a player inbounding the ball when she "slid her pivot foot" - according to him. We had a short talk about that. Later, he called an inbound violation when the inbounder stepped ON the line while holding the ball. We had a short talk about that also. At least he didn't call another travel.