The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 03, 2003, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Freshman girls last night. Halftime score was Team A 41, Team B 4. A is home. Looked like an easy night. Midway through the 3rd a player from B yells for a foul after a good no call by my partner. She yells it right by me going from trail to lead (2 man). A few possessions later the same player is guarding a girl on the baseline right in front of me. The shooter mumbled something like "oh come on" quietly after her shot I assume thinking she was fouled (she wasn't) and the defender fires right back, "You come on!" so she earns a T. Anyway, after that the coach and fans go nuts and are riding my partner and I the rest of the game (I think they ended up losing by 60). I've seen a lot of people talk about using the T only if it will improve the game. This one made did the exact opposite. Any similar circumstances out there? I'm not out looking to throw the T, but I felt that one had to be administered but it made for an extremely long night. Anyway, I am just venting a little and seeing what my fellow officials think about blowing a T in a blowout.
Old Wed Dec 03, 2003, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Junker
Freshman girls last night. Halftime score was Team A 41, Team B 4. A is home. Looked like an easy night. Midway through the 3rd a player from B yells for a foul after a good no call by my partner. She yells it right by me going from trail to lead (2 man). A few possessions later the same player is guarding a girl on the baseline right in front of me. The shooter mumbled something like "oh come on" quietly after her shot I assume thinking she was fouled (she wasn't) and the defender fires right back, "You come on!" so she earns a T.
Why in the world would you give a T for this? IMHO it looks like you were just asking for trouble.
Old Wed Dec 03, 2003, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
Most of the time in situations like this, both teams want to get the game over and get the "hey out of dodge" because of the circumstances of the game.
I have had this happen to me before, and I try to quietly without being seen or noticed, when there is break in the action, go up to player with the problem and ask what is wrong, and then tell both players to keep the chatter away from each other.
A "T" here is not a good thing, because then I feel it just causes more problems for an already lop sided game that everyone just wants to see end quickly.
Old Wed Dec 03, 2003, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

I say that at this level (High School and under) part of our job is to TEACH.

Nothing wrong with a little "whisper", "shhh" - with finger over lips while looking sternly in the players eye.

I'm keen on a "knock it off #24" while running back down the floor after a made basket.

Just like a good ref warns a few 3 seconds with "get outta the lane", a little warning on these type issues makes me feel I helped teach limits before upholding them.

Within reason - works for me.
Old Wed Dec 03, 2003, 02:52pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Restraint.

I am not taking sides on whether or not you should have called a T or on. But I do believe that you can solve a lot of problems by just having a quick word or talk with a player. Sometimes all it takes is a couple of words or a slight conversation to avoid having to call a T. Just let them know that their behavior is not going to be tolerated and you will be surprised what they will decide to do after that. You do not have to even mention a T at all. And if you have to T someone, no one can say you did not warn them. Sometimes a little restraint will go along way. Unless you were called out of your name or they got personal with you, I think you can always have a little talk that everyone can see, and the coaches will get the message as well.

Peace
Old Wed Dec 03, 2003, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

Other options:

1) Blow the whistle, call both players together, and tell them both to "knock it off." A good coach will see that something is brewing and sit the player for a while.

2) At the next break, tell your partner, in a voice loud enough to be heard by all players, to keep a close eye on A1 and B2. If they know (or think) you're watching, they'll be less likely to act out.

3) Enlist the help of the coach or captain -- "Coach, I need your help with #24. He seems to be getting a little frustrated, and I don't want to have to T him."

The one think I'd try not to do is punish only the losing team.

Old Thu Dec 04, 2003, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

First of all, thanks for the opinions. Much of what you said I thought of on my way home that night. After stepping away for a day or so and then going back and reading my journal about the game I've decided that I had to assess the T. If the player were complaining loudly to me or my partner I would have taken time to talk to her coach and let him handle it, but as soon as she starts lipping off to her oppenents (which she did with her tone and body laguage) I have to give the T. I hated doing it in a blowout and I knew what kind of effect it would have on the game, but in the spirit of sportsmanship, I still feel it was the right call. I wasn't looking to penalize the losing team, but sportsmanship is a BIG issue for all officials and in Iowa we had a number of problems with it last year particularly in the girls' games so we are really stressing it this year. Players need to understand that in life we have to develop skills to win and lose with class.
Old Thu Dec 04, 2003, 02:51pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
The shooter mumbled something like "oh come on" quietly after her shot I assume thinking she was fouled (she wasn't) and the defender fires right back, "You come on!" so she earns a T.
Similar words, different volume.
Warn 'em both, or whack 'em both.
But, be fair equally.
mick
Old Thu Dec 04, 2003, 02:51pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
The shooter mumbled something like "oh come on" quietly after her shot I assume thinking she was fouled (she wasn't) and the defender fires right back, "You come on!" so she earns a T.
Similar words, different volume.
Warn 'em both, or whack 'em both.
But, be fair equally.
mick
Old Thu Dec 04, 2003, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Junker,

Obviously none of us were there. And most of us are not intimately familiar with the sportsmanship climate in Iowa. But I think that everybody here agrees with you that you had to handle the situation.

You make a valid point about players developing skills to deal with winning and losing with class. Sports are an extension of the classroom exactly because of these kinds of life lessons they teach. We are an integral part of the teaching process--we are teachers.

A good teacher knows how to choose the right teaching tool based on both the student and the situation. If a student is having a positive experience and is behaving arrogantly and/or is generally unwilling to take instruction or abide by the rules of the classroom, then a big hammer (like a T) might be the right tool. It can get the student's attention and compel him/her to be humble and teachable. But, by itself, it doesn't teach much. If a student is having a frustrating, negative experience, has been compelled to be humble and teachable by the situation, and is starting to act out of frustration, then some coaching is probably the better tool.

You can still use big hammer later, if coaching doesn't solve the problem.