The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 22, 2012, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

sub

NFHS Rules Girls Varsity Game. 4 minutes left in second quarter. A1 inbounds the ball to A2 in her backcourt with no pressure. A2 takes 2 or 3 dribbles and the horn sounds. A6 runs into the game as R who is table side tries to stop her. She goes by R and he stops the game. He puts her back in the sub zone and tells me to inbound the ball again. I motion A6 to come into the game but R will not allow it. I thought that no matter how the ball became dead A6 can then enter. Was R correct? Could you give a rule reference?
Old Sun Jan 22, 2012, 10:43am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbret View Post
NFHS Rules Girls Varsity Game. 4 minutes left in second quarter. A1 inbounds the ball to A2 in her backcourt with no pressure. A2 takes 2 or 3 dribbles and the horn sounds. A6 runs into the game as R who is table side tries to stop her. She goes by R and he stops the game. He puts her back in the sub zone and tells me to inbound the ball again. I motion A6 to come into the game but R will not allow it. I thought that no matter how the ball became dead A6 can then enter. Was R correct? Could you give a rule reference?

The correct way to handle this situation is to use NFHS R10-S2-A2. Charge A6 with a TF per the aforementiones rule and then allow A6 to remain in the game.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Jan 22, 2012, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbret View Post
Correct. Once the whistle is blown, it is a legal time to substitute.

Whether you call the T or not as Mark mentioned is a separate question but it would be correct by rule to do so.
Old Sun Jan 22, 2012, 02:31pm
Esteemed Forum Member

There's No Crying In Basketball ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Charge A6 with a TF per the aforementioned rule.
What? And make her cry? Not in my game.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Jan 22, 2012, 03:07pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Varsity game, no way I don't call this T.
Old Sun Jan 22, 2012, 03:27pm
Esteemed Forum Member

When In Rome, Where Snaqwells Actually Lives ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Noted, and appreciated.

Around these parts, we always just send them back to the table, all the way back to the table, and once they're at the X, we signal to bring them in. Here, in my little corner of Connecticut, I have never seen this technical foul charged in a high school game in over thirty years. We never ignore it, we just never penalize it with a technical. It's just the way we do things around here. If one of us ever decided to do it, we would be accused of being overly officious.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Jan 22, 2012 at 03:32pm.
Old Sun Jan 22, 2012, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Really? I disagree. This might happen (maybe) once in a game. Send them back to the table and they get the picture. In all honesty in a varsity game this might happen once or twice a season and the TF should not be the first action here.

The ball is dead, you have better ways to handle this.
Old Sun Jan 22, 2012, 04:19pm
Esteemed Forum Member

And Whack We Will ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
Now, if the kid runs in during a live ball, that's another story. Do we whack for not being beckoned, or for being a sixth man on the court? Or both?

Old Sun Jan 22, 2012, 04:20pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
Really? I disagree. This might happen (maybe) once in a game. Send them back to the table and they get the picture. In all honesty in a varsity game this might happen once or twice a season and the TF should not be the first action here.

Ball wasn't dead.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Jan 22, 2012, 04:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Ball wasn't dead.
Yes, I just reread. Live ball auto T.
Old Sun Jan 22, 2012, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Out here in the land where Humana Challenge leaderboards blow into lakes I have only seen this charged as a technical one time in six years.Most of our people just bring the subs to the X and then get em in.
Old Sun Jan 22, 2012, 04:31pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Readng Is Fundamental ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Around these parts, we always just send them back to the table, all the way back to the table, and once they're at the X, we signal to bring them in. Here, in my little corner of Connecticut, I have never seen this technical foul charged in a high school game in over thirty years. We never ignore it, we just never penalize it with a technical. It's just the way we do things around here. If one of us ever decided to do it, we would be accused of being overly officious.
Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Ball wasn't dead.
Thanks just another ref.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Jan 22, 2012 at 04:37pm.
Old Sun Jan 22, 2012, 04:33pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Now That I've Screwed Up This Excellent Thread ...

How about this:

Quote:
Now, if the kid runs in during a live ball, that's another story. Do we whack for not being beckoned, or for being a sixth man on the court? Or both?

Old Sun Jan 22, 2012, 04:41pm
We don't rent pigs

This one was actually fresh on my mind because I screwed it up earlier this year. Horn sounded with the ball in play. B1, who was waiting at the X, stepped onto the edge of the court. His coach SCREAMED a death threat, and he quickly retreated. I was content to ignore this. But, A1 was distracted by the whole thing, stopped his dribble, took a couple of steps toward my partner, and tossed him the ball. Partner called the travel. Now it's true that A1 should know that nothing actually happened which caused the ball to become dead, but he obviously didn't. I don't know if he stopped because of just the horn, or the combination of the horn and seeing the guy entering. But, at any rate, I decided shortly afterward that I should have called the T after partner signaled the travel. I even told Coach B this later, and he agreed. And normally Coach B is not the most agreeable fellow.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Jan 22, 2012, 04:42pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
When he enters the court illegally, it causes the ball to become dead. He was never a sixth man on the court.

Lonesome Dove