The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   sub (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/86424-sub.html)

benbret Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:26am

sub

NFHS Rules Girls Varsity Game. 4 minutes left in second quarter. A1 inbounds the ball to A2 in her backcourt with no pressure. A2 takes 2 or 3 dribbles and the horn sounds. A6 runs into the game as R who is table side tries to stop her. She goes by R and he stops the game. He puts her back in the sub zone and tells me to inbound the ball again. I motion A6 to come into the game but R will not allow it. I thought that no matter how the ball became dead A6 can then enter. Was R correct? Could you give a rule reference?

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by benbret (Post 815649)
NFHS Rules Girls Varsity Game. 4 minutes left in second quarter. A1 inbounds the ball to A2 in her backcourt with no pressure. A2 takes 2 or 3 dribbles and the horn sounds. A6 runs into the game as R who is table side tries to stop her. She goes by R and he stops the game. He puts her back in the sub zone and tells me to inbound the ball again. I motion A6 to come into the game but R will not allow it. I thought that no matter how the ball became dead A6 can then enter. Was R correct? Could you give a rule reference?

The correct way to handle this situation is to use NFHS R10-S2-A2. Charge A6 with a TF per the aforementiones rule and then allow A6 to remain in the game.

MTD, Sr.

Camron Rust Sun Jan 22, 2012 01:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by benbret (Post 815649)

Correct. Once the whistle is blown, it is a legal time to substitute.

Whether you call the T or not as Mark mentioned is a separate question but it would be correct by rule to do so.

BillyMac Sun Jan 22, 2012 02:31pm

There's No Crying In Basketball ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 815654)
Charge A6 with a TF per the aforementioned rule.

What? And make her cry? Not in my game.

Adam Sun Jan 22, 2012 03:07pm

Varsity game, no way I don't call this T.

BillyMac Sun Jan 22, 2012 03:27pm

When In Rome, Where Snaqwells Actually Lives ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 815715)

Noted, and appreciated.

Around these parts, we always just send them back to the table, all the way back to the table, and once they're at the X, we signal to bring them in. Here, in my little corner of Connecticut, I have never seen this technical foul charged in a high school game in over thirty years. We never ignore it, we just never penalize it with a technical. It's just the way we do things around here. If one of us ever decided to do it, we would be accused of being overly officious.

deecee Sun Jan 22, 2012 04:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 815715)

Really? I disagree. This might happen (maybe) once in a game. Send them back to the table and they get the picture. In all honesty in a varsity game this might happen once or twice a season and the TF should not be the first action here.

The ball is dead, you have better ways to handle this.

BillyMac Sun Jan 22, 2012 04:19pm

And Whack We Will ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 815729)

Now, if the kid runs in during a live ball, that's another story. Do we whack for not being beckoned, or for being a sixth man on the court? Or both?

just another ref Sun Jan 22, 2012 04:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 815729)
Really? I disagree. This might happen (maybe) once in a game. Send them back to the table and they get the picture. In all honesty in a varsity game this might happen once or twice a season and the TF should not be the first action here.

Ball wasn't dead.

deecee Sun Jan 22, 2012 04:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 815732)
Ball wasn't dead.

Yes, I just reread. Live ball auto T.

SCalScoreKeeper Sun Jan 22, 2012 04:26pm

Out here in the land where Humana Challenge leaderboards blow into lakes I have only seen this charged as a technical one time in six years.Most of our people just bring the subs to the X and then get em in.

BillyMac Sun Jan 22, 2012 04:31pm

Readng Is Fundamental ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 815721)
Around these parts, we always just send them back to the table, all the way back to the table, and once they're at the X, we signal to bring them in. Here, in my little corner of Connecticut, I have never seen this technical foul charged in a high school game in over thirty years. We never ignore it, we just never penalize it with a technical. It's just the way we do things around here. If one of us ever decided to do it, we would be accused of being overly officious.

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 815732)
Ball wasn't dead.

Thanks just another ref.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/V3FnpaWQJO0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BillyMac Sun Jan 22, 2012 04:33pm

Now That I've Screwed Up This Excellent Thread ...

How about this:

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 815731)
Now, if the kid runs in during a live ball, that's another story. Do we whack for not being beckoned, or for being a sixth man on the court? Or both?

just another ref Sun Jan 22, 2012 04:41pm

This one was actually fresh on my mind because I screwed it up earlier this year. Horn sounded with the ball in play. B1, who was waiting at the X, stepped onto the edge of the court. His coach SCREAMED a death threat, and he quickly retreated. I was content to ignore this. But, A1 was distracted by the whole thing, stopped his dribble, took a couple of steps toward my partner, and tossed him the ball. Partner called the travel. Now it's true that A1 should know that nothing actually happened which caused the ball to become dead, but he obviously didn't. I don't know if he stopped because of just the horn, or the combination of the horn and seeing the guy entering. But, at any rate, I decided shortly afterward that I should have called the T after partner signaled the travel. I even told Coach B this later, and he agreed. And normally Coach B is not the most agreeable fellow.

just another ref Sun Jan 22, 2012 04:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 815731)

When he enters the court illegally, it causes the ball to become dead. He was never a sixth man on the court.