The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 23, 2012, 02:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
When Confucius was in my little corner of Connecticut, he said, "Bounce when you can, hand when you must".

We must hand the ball to the thrower on all frontcourt endline throwins. We have options on all other boundaries, but are encouraged to hand the ball to the thrower whenever there is defensive pressure. Being old fashioned, about the only time that I bounce the ball to the thrower is along the three backcourt boundaries when there is no defensive pressure, otherwise I'm handing the ball to the player.
This is exactly how we are told to do it as well. Always hand it on the FC endline and in the BC on the endline if there is pressure. Anywhere else can be bounced. I will usually bounce on the sideline all the time unless there is a lot of pressure and there is limited space on the sideline.
Old Mon Jan 23, 2012, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

It seems to me that if there's pressure, you'd want to be farther away to have a wider angle look. So, wouldn't you bounce with pressure and hand if no pressure?
Old Mon Jan 23, 2012, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
It seems to me that if there's pressure, you'd want to be farther away to have a wider angle look. So, wouldn't you bounce with pressure and hand if no pressure?
I can think of a couple of reasons why I wouldn't bounce it to them with pressure being applied:
  • Player throwing in has to remove their eyes from the court to get pass (possible disadvantage to them/their team)
  • Bad bounce to the player throwing in could create a confusing situation to all where you have to retrieve the pass and start over
  • Player guarding the inbound may try and swipe at pass (not a high probability but why introduce it?)
  • I can hand it off and take 3 or 4 steps back to get a good angle while starting my count (well, on most days I can as long as they don't "castle" or something... )
Not the best reasons, perhaps, but that's what comes to mind.