The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 21, 2012, 07:22pm
Official Forum Member

You just never know

Didn't want to steal Chris Whitten's thunder so here's a new thread with a similar theme.

BV three-whistle, late in the 4th period of a tight but sloppy game. After a made basket and time out, A1 is inbounding the ball. I tell him he can run the baseline, hand him the ball, then start my 5-second count.

When I get to 4 A2 jumps out of bounds and receives a pass from A1. The gerbils in my head start running as I try and process if A2 had established oob. While they struggle to keep up with the increased demands on my higher functioning I stop my visible count but in my head I start a new one. I get to 2 and don't blow my whistle.

A2 inbounds the ball and finally the gerbils get me up to speed and I blow the play dead and call a 5-second violation.

Needless to say, I'm not happy about how that whole thing played out for a variety of reasons. In the end we/I got the call right but on tape it'll look horrible.

Lessons learned:
  1. Don't stop your count for anything because you just never know when a brain fart will cause you issues.
  2. Be ready for the "castle" move. They hadn't broken it out all game, and I hadn't seen it in years, but because I got caught off guard it caused me to freeze.
  3. Get with your partners to ensure everyone know what you've got. I did and things went well after that.
It kinda stinks that a well-called game had that happen, but I won't forget the lessons any time soon.
Old Sat Jan 21, 2012, 07:32pm
Official Forum Member

I would suggest upgrading to hamsters.
Old Sat Jan 21, 2012, 07:43pm
Official Forum Member

BV three-whistle, late in the 4th period of a tight but sloppy game. After a made basket and time out, A1 is inbounding the ball. I tell him he can run the baseline, hand him the ball, then start my 5-second count.

You should have bounced him the ball.
Old Sat Jan 21, 2012, 08:06pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triad zebra View Post

Yikes...way to pick the fly poop out of the pepper.

Rufus, thanks for sharing your lesson learned.
Old Sat Jan 21, 2012, 08:48pm
Official Forum Member

Ive always been told to bounce the ball on sidelines and hand the ball on baselines. Is this incorrect? I got it from our varsity guys.
Old Sat Jan 21, 2012, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loners4me View Post
Ive always been told to bounce the ball on sidelines and hand the ball on baselines. Is this incorrect? I got it from our varsity guys.
The book says bouncing is an option for every throwin location except the frontcourt endline. Handing is never wrong but bouncing were it is permitted is generally recommended.
Old Sat Jan 21, 2012, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Depends on the mechanics in the OP's area. Here, we hand the ball on both endlines.
Old Sat Jan 21, 2012, 10:58pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Quote:

Absolutely nothing wrong with handing the ball in that situation.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Jan 21, 2012, 11:24pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

Not in our area. You have to hand them the ball on all end line throw-ins.

Peace
Old Sat Jan 21, 2012, 11:25pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Yikes...way to pick the fly poop out of the pepper.

Rufus, thanks for sharing your lesson learned.
Deck chairs?
Old Sun Jan 22, 2012, 06:46am
Esteemed Forum Member

Follow The Bouncing Ball ...

When Confucius was in my little corner of Connecticut, he said, "Bounce when you can, hand when you must".

We must hand the ball to the thrower on all frontcourt endline throwins. We have options on all other boundaries, but are encouraged to hand the ball to the thrower whenever there is defensive pressure. Being old fashioned, about the only time that I bounce the ball to the thrower is along the three backcourt boundaries when there is no defensive pressure, otherwise I'm handing the ball to the player.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Jan 22, 2012 at 06:49am.
Old Sun Jan 22, 2012, 06:48am
Esteemed Forum Member

Check And Checkmate ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
Be ready for the "castle" move.
Great way to describe this play. Did you come up with it?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Jan 22, 2012, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Great way to describe this play. Did you come up with it?
Wish I could but also can't say for certain where I heard it.

Thanks for the replies. In terms of handing vs. bouncing the ball I had a mentor tell me once to hand unless there is no pressure. Less thing to worry about (bad bounce, bounce dropped by player, etc.). Made sense to me so that's how I handle.
Old Sun Jan 22, 2012, 10:40am
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
We must hand the ball to the thrower on all frontcourt endline throwins. We have options on all other boundaries....
Same here. I like to bounce the ball on BCELTI, but once in a while, I'll mess up and catch myself bouncing a FCELTI, and I catch it the instant the ball leaves my hand (like I did when our interpreter was evaluating me the other day ... he caught it too).

I'm starting to like JRut's way, bounce on the sideline, hand on the endline. Can't screw it up that way.
Old Sun Jan 22, 2012, 11:26am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

With pressure? I prefer handing it. Easier to communicate to him that he can run the end line as well.