The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Delay of Game Situation / Ruling (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/86381-delay-game-situation-ruling.html)

Ref24 Sat Jan 21, 2012 05:26pm

Delay of Game Situation / Ruling

Assistant Coach comes out during a timeout and warns us they are going to delay the game if the shot is made score is Team A 67 - Team B 61. 3 point shot is made and team B player throws the ball about 12 - 14 rows up near the bleachers in a corner out of bounds. Team B was given a Technical for this act instead of the Delay of game warning. Technical Foul for this act or Delay of Game warning ?

APG Sat Jan 21, 2012 05:31pm

Both

BillyMac Sat Jan 21, 2012 07:03pm

Dueling Citations ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 815469)
Both

10.1.5 SITUATION D: Immediately following a goal by A1, A3 slaps the ball
away so that Team B is unable to make a quick throw-in. RULING: The official
shall sound his/her whistle and go to the table to have the scorer record a team
warning for delay. The warning shall then be reported to the head coach of Team
A. Any subsequent delay by Team A shall result in a team technical foul charged
to Team A. (4-47-3)

9.2.10 SITUATION A: A1 is out of bounds for a throw-in. B1 reaches through
the boundary plane and knocks the ball out of A1’s hands. Team B has not been
warned previously for a throw-in plane infraction. RULING: B1 is charged with a
technical foul and it also results in the official having a team warning recorded
and reported to the head coach. COMMENT: In situations with the clock running
and five or less seconds left in the game, a throw-in plane violation or interfering
with the ball following a goal should be ignored if its only purpose is to stop the
clock. However, if the tactic in any way interferes with the thrower’s efforts to
make a throw-in, a technical foul for delay shall be called even though no previous
warning had been issued. In this situation, if the official stopped the clock
and issued a team warning, it would allow the team to benefit from the tactic. (4-
47-1; 10-1-5b, c; 10-3-10)

Triad zebra Sat Jan 21, 2012 07:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ref24 (Post 815468)
Assistant Coach comes out during a timeout and warns us they are going to delay the game if the shot is made score is Team A 67 - Team B 61. 3 point shot is made and team B player throws the ball about 12 - 14 rows up near the bleachers in a corner out of bounds. Team B was given a Technical for this act instead of the Delay of game warning. Technical Foul for this act or Delay of Game warning ?

Maybe I missed something.....I got a warning on team B. I don't believe there is enough info here to give a T

Welpe Sat Jan 21, 2012 08:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ref24 (Post 815468)
Assistant Coach comes out during a timeout and warns us they are going to delay the game if the shot is made...snip.

What was your response to this? This is a good time to warn them it will almost assuredly result in a technical foul.

HawkeyeCubP Sat Jan 21, 2012 08:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triad zebra (Post 815482)
Maybe I missed something.....I got a warning on team B. I don't believe there is enough info here to give a T

See 9.2.10.A that Billy cited above your post. (I don't think most HS officials are aware of this case play.)

Triad zebra Sat Jan 21, 2012 08:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by HawkeyeCubP (Post 815486)
See 9.2.10.A that Billy cited above your post. (I don't think most HS officials are aware of this case play.)

I envision B scoring and then grabbing the ball, before A ever touches it, and throwing it away.
B did not knock it out of A's hand and this may have been in the 3rd quarter.
I still contend there is not enough info for a T

Welpe Sat Jan 21, 2012 08:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triad zebra (Post 815487)
I envision B scoring and then grabbing the ball, before A ever touches it, and throwing it away.
B did not knock it out of A's hand and this may have been in the 3rd quarter.
I still contend there is not enough info for a T

Throwing the ball 12-14 rows into the stands fits 10-3-5-a perfectly. An act this egregious should not simply result in a delay of game warning, especially when that is the intent of the offending team and they would be gaining an advantage by doing so.

Triad zebra Sat Jan 21, 2012 08:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 815488)
Throwing the ball 12-14 rows into the stands fits 10-3-5-a perfectly. An act this egregious should not simply result in a delay of game warning, especially when that is the intent of the offending team and they would be gaining an advantage by doing so.

I agree 100%.
In my head, due to the wording "12-14 rows up near the bleachers" B just through the ball away, not into the bleachers.

jkumpire Sat Jan 21, 2012 08:47pm

My .02

I'd consider an ejection for USC on the part of the HC in this case as well. This is very close to flagrant behavior to me.

:mad:

I'm sure that's a minority of one opinion, but I think if this happened as the poster said it did, how can you not at least think about it?

APG Sat Jan 21, 2012 08:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkumpire (Post 815490)
I'd consider an ejection for USC on the part of the HC in this case as well. This is very close to flagrant behavior to me.

:mad:

I'm sure that's a minority of one opinion, but I think if this happened as the poster said it did, how can you not at least think about it?

Ejection? Really?! :confused:

fortmoney Sat Jan 21, 2012 09:00pm

What could be gained by doing this on purpose???

APG Sat Jan 21, 2012 09:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fortmoney (Post 815497)
What could be gained by doing this on purpose???

Stop the clock from running after a made basket.

Camron Rust Sat Jan 21, 2012 09:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 815492)
Ejection? Really?! :confused:

And on the HC???? I've got nothing on the HC, not even basic T.

Welpe Sat Jan 21, 2012 09:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 815500)
And on the HC???? I've got nothing on the HC, not even basic T.

I agree. Assess the technical against the offending player and move on.