The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Delay of Game Situation / Ruling (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/86381-delay-game-situation-ruling.html)

Adam Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triad zebra (Post 815489)
I agree 100%.
In my head, due to the wording "12-14 rows up near the bleachers" B just through the ball away, not into the bleachers.

I was too focussed on "12-14 rows" to notice the grammar error.

bob jenkins Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by triad zebra (Post 815487)
i envision b scoring and then grabbing the ball, before a ever touches it, and throwing it away.
B did not knock it out of a's hand and this may have been in the 3rd quarter.
I still contend there is not enough info for a t

Adam Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ref24 (Post 815468)
Assistant Coach comes out during a timeout and warns us they are going to delay the game if the shot is made score is Team A 67 - Team B 61. 3 point shot is made and team B player throws the ball about 12 - 14 rows up near the bleachers in a corner out of bounds. Team B was given a Technical for this act instead of the Delay of game warning. Technical Foul for this act or Delay of Game warning ?

To satisfy my curiosity, how much time was left when the basket was scored?

BktBallRef Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:27pm

Welcome to the forum, North State.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triad zebra (Post 815489)
In my head, due to the wording "12-14 rows up near the bleachers" B just through the ball away, not into the bleachers.

What's the difference? :confused:

BillyMac Sun Jan 22, 2012 06:55am

Confused In Connecticut ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by HawkeyeCubP (Post 815486)
See 9.2.10.A that Billy cited above your post.

And see 10.1.5.D as well. I posted both of them because I can't figure out which one to use here.

This is what is confusing me:

In situations with the clock runningn and five or less seconds left in the game, a throw-in plane violation or interfering
with the ball following a goal
should be ignored if its only purpose is to stop the
clock. However, if the tactic in any way interferes with the thrower’s efforts to
make a throw-in, a technical foul for delay shall be called even though no previous
warning had been issued. In this situation, if the official stopped the clock
and issued a team warning, it would allow the team to benefit from the tactic.

Doesn't this "tactic" always "interfere with the thrower’s efforts to make a throw-in"?

Triad zebra Sun Jan 22, 2012 09:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 815536)
What's the difference? :confused:

B gets ball under the basket and throws it off to the side of the court and it bumps the bottom row of bleachers. I believe that to be about the distance of 12-14 rows up near the bleachers.

The moral of the story is the OP was written poorly and therefore know one really knows how and where the ball was thrown.:)

Adam Sun Jan 22, 2012 09:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 815613)
And see 10.1.5.D as well. I posted both of them because I can't figure out which one to use here.

This is what is confusing me:

In situations with the clock runningn and five or less seconds left in the game, a throw-in plane violation or interfering
with the ball following a goal
should be ignored if its only purpose is to stop the
clock. However, if the tactic in any way interferes with the thrower’s efforts to
make a throw-in, a technical foul for delay shall be called even though no previous
warning had been issued. In this situation, if the official stopped the clock
and issued a team warning, it would allow the team to benefit from the tactic.

Doesn't this "tactic" always "interfere with the thrower’s efforts to make a throw-in"?

Not if the thrower isn't making such an effort.

Adam Sun Jan 22, 2012 09:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triad zebra (Post 815634)
B gets ball under the basket and throws it off to the side of the court and it bumps the bottom row of bleachers. I believe that to be about the distance of 12-14 rows up near the bleachers.

The moral of the story is the OP was written poorly and therefore know one really knows how and where the ball was thrown.:)

I guess, but I would have expected an estimate in feet rather than rows if that were the case.

BillyMac Sun Jan 22, 2012 01:50pm

The Tar Heel State ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 815638)
I guess, but I would have expected an estimate in feet rather than rows if that were the case.

No way. They use the metric system in North Carolina. Want to buy a few liters of moonshine?

jkumpire Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:04am

Yes

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 815492)
Ejection? Really?! :confused:

Here's why:

1. I thought the kid threw the ball 12-14 rows up into the stands like so many others.
2. If the Assistant Coach is telling you this before the play there is intent involved, and it's not the AC who is saying throw the ball into the stands to get a DOG, it's the HC.
3. In my judgment the act of throwing a ball that deep in the stands is a serious case of USC. If the kid in a fit of anger launches the ball that far into the stands are you just going ignore it? You can get a DOG or even DOG T in a much better and more sporting manner (if you can somehow use that term to talk about it. I can't).
4. Add 2+3 together, and I still think you have to think about it, if not a flagrant T on the HC, maybe a flagrant T on the player.

I probably wouldn't do it, but I would consider it

Ref24 Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:06pm

There was less than 15 seconds to go.

Sharpshooternes Mon Jan 30, 2012 05:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ref24 (Post 816117)
There was less than 15 seconds to go.

Less than 5 seconds let it go and let the clock run down. With 15 seconds, if defense breaks the inbounds plane they are getting a DOG warning. Tossing the ball into the bleachers will be a player tech.

BillyMac Mon Jan 30, 2012 05:33pm

Still Confused In Connecticut ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes (Post 818357)
Tossing the ball into the bleachers will be a player tech.

With, or without, a delay of game warning?

10.1.5 SITUATION D: Immediately following a goal by A1, A3 slaps the ball
away so that Team B is unable to make a quick throw-in. RULING: The official
shall sound his/her whistle and go to the table to have the scorer record a team
warning for delay. The warning shall then be reported to the head coach of Team
A. Any subsequent delay by Team A shall result in a team technical foul charged
to Team A. (4-47-3)

Sharpshooternes Mon Jan 30, 2012 06:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 818359)
With, or without, a delay of game warning?

10.1.5 SITUATION D: Immediately following a goal by A1, A3 slaps the ball
away so that Team B is unable to make a quick throw-in. RULING: The official
shall sound his/her whistle and go to the table to have the scorer record a team
warning for delay. The warning shall then be reported to the head coach of Team
A. Any subsequent delay by Team A shall result in a team technical foul charged
to Team A. (4-47-3)

In this situation without. I see a slap as one where they give it a flip toward the end line after a basket when they should just let it be as in 10-1-5-e.
Now read between the arrows below.

In situations with the clock runningn and five or less seconds left in the game, ----->a throw-in plane violation or interfering with the ball following a goal should be ignored if its only purpose is to stop the clock. However, if the tactic in any way interferes with the thrower’s efforts to make a throw-in, a technical foul for delay shall be called even though no previous warning had been issued.<----- In this situation, if the official stopped the clock and issued a team warning, it would allow the team to benefit from the tactic.

BillyMac Mon Jan 30, 2012 06:26pm

Ignore, Warning, Technical Foul ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes (Post 818371)
In situations with the clock running and five or less seconds left in the game, ----->a throw-in plane violation or interfering with the ball following a goal should be ignored if its only purpose is to stop the clock. However, if the tactic in any way interferes with the thrower’s efforts to make a throw-in, a technical foul for delay shall be called even though no previous warning had been issued.<----- In this situation, if the official stopped the clock and issued a team warning, it would allow the team to benefit from the tactic.

Good citation. There's black, there's white, and there's gray. Judging the difference is why we get paid the big bucks. Wait? I forgot that all of you don't officiate in Connecticut. Sorry. That why we get paid the bucks. That's better.