The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 21, 2012, 01:51pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up OT - HoopSource, a successful kids rec league

Our local paper, The Oregonian, ran this story today about two young guys who run a very successful rec league. They now do this as their full time jobs. The 30 year old went to HS with my son and played in our local kids rec league when he was in grade school and MS. When I contacted them last year about working their games, he remembered me reffing his games from back then and was really happy to get me on their list. They run a really good program for officials and they even use Camron's assigning site, RefTown.

2 basketball coaches turn youth leagues, camps and clinics into a full-time, year-round business | OregonLive.com
Old Sat Jan 21, 2012, 02:21pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
A good article Mark. Thanks as always for sharing.

In my hometown, we used to get coverage like this in the local paper when I was growing up. But, now the Washington Post doesn't seem to carry too much of it.

I like the fact that they try to rebalance the schedule during the season in an attempt to avoid blowouts! Also - nice stable of certified officials. That's a lot!

Continued best wishes to you and them!
Old Sat Jan 21, 2012, 02:57pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Big Bucks In Basketball ...

Several years ago my daughter played on an AAU team. It only traveled regionally. Based in Connecticut, she only traveled as far north as Maine, as far west as Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and as far south as Richmond, Virginia. She did take one trip to Spain to play in a Eurohoop tournament. By all definitions, this was not one of those "crisscross the country" AAU teams that you often associate with Division I players.

In any case, I recently discovered that this is now the coach's full time job. Running the organization, several boys, and girls teams, at different age levels, one invitational tournament, with admission fees, a camp, a fall in house league, selling apparel, a few corporate sponsors, etc.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Jan 21, 2012 at 03:09pm.
Old Sun Jan 22, 2012, 12:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
she only traveled as far north as Maine, as far west as Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and as far south as Richmond, Virginia.
Richmond is farther west than Philadelphia.
Old Sun Jan 22, 2012, 07:01am
Esteemed Forum Member

The Atlantic Ocean Got In The Way ...

No games on aircraft carriers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra View Post
Richmond is farther west than Philadelphia.
We went as far east as Boston, realizing that Maine is farther east then Boston.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)