The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 24, 2011, 11:22am
certified Hot Mom tester

OT - kids rec league meeting tonight

Tonight is our local kids rec league Board meeting and it's the last one before registration starts. A coach we ejected from the league "forever" last season has applied for an appeal and we will hear from him as part of the meeting. I was not at the game in which he was ejected, but I was told he got so upset at the coach from the other team (this was 7th grade boys) that he threw a clipboard at him and then, when one of the officials tossed him, got in that official's face and used profanity. A committee of the Board voted him out right after that. I would be very surprised if he got even one vote to reinstate.

Another serious topic will be considering trying to move our Friday night HS level games to another night. We have been asked to do that by the local HS athletic department because they feel the kids and parents who participate in our games that night would attend the regular HS games if they didn't have their games that night, and that would help the public HS games attendance. However, we took a survey of those kids and their parents and almost none of them said they would do that. Besides, it would make it difficult for us to redesign our scheduling to have those games on a different night. We have to be very cooperative with the HS, however, because their coaches do clinics for us at no charge. We don't want to have that stop because of a disagreement.

Oh yeah, we'll also discuss pay raises for officials for next season, but I doubt there will be any. Darn.
Old Wed Aug 24, 2011, 02:23pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Oh yeah, we'll also discuss pay raises for officials for next season, but I doubt there will be any. Darn.
Shorten the games by 10%.
Old Wed Aug 24, 2011, 02:40pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
Shorten the games by 10%.
Hey - maybe we could have the games go into "undertime". Brilliant!
Old Wed Aug 24, 2011, 04:15pm
Esteemed Forum Member

And Make Sure That They're Clean, In Case You Get Into A Car Accident ..

Quote:
Maybe we could have the games go into "undertime".
Semper Ubi Sub Ubi.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Aug 25, 2011, 10:45am
certified Hot Mom tester

Well, we had our Board meeting last night and guess what? The guy didn't even show up! Our Board president had the courtesy to give the guy a call from the meeting to see if, perhaps, he got the day and/or time wrong, but the guy said he just didn't think it was worth it because he felt he didn't have a chance of getting a positive result. Gee - who knew he was so intuitive.
Old Thu Aug 25, 2011, 07:01pm
Official & Member

Quote:
Well, we had our Board meeting last night and guess what? The guy didn't even show up! Our Board president had the courtesy to give the guy a call from the meeting to see if, perhaps, he got the day and/or time wrong, but the guy said he just didn't think it was worth it because he felt he didn't have a chance of getting a positive result. Gee - who knew he was so intuitive.
If he was really intuitive, he probably would have known that heaving a clip board and cussing was a bad idea.
Old Thu Aug 25, 2011, 08:11pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
If he was really intuitive, he probably would have known that heaving a clip board and cussing was a bad idea.
He didn't have to be intuitive to know that using profanity was a bad idea. We go over this point very "strongly" (if that's even a word) during our pre-season coaches meeting every year. In our league, any profanity by a coach, player or spectator is an automatic ejection. If by a coach when front of players, then it also carries a suspension. I guess we should also have covered throwing a clipboard.

BTW - about seven or eight years ago, one of our veteran officials ejected a female spectator he described as "at least in her 70s" from a game for using profanity. According to his report, she complained about a call against her granddaughter's team by standing up and yelling at him, "What the f**k is wrong with you?"!!! Maybe we should have a new category - "hot under the collar mom".